WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The new Gossamer Gear Mariposa vs. ULA Circuit or anything else for that matter

So, currently, I hike with a Gregory Baltoro 65. I section hike with a group of buddies every year and have been slowly trying to get my total pack weight down. I started with over 50lbs and am now down to about 37 pounds. I don't think I'm after the super UL range or anything as I only hike once a year so I like to have some creature comforts. I am, however, interested in getting a lighter pack. The Baltoro is a GREAT pack that is REALLY comfortable and loaded with features. But with those features comes the weight. It weighs almost 6 pounds by itself! I've been looking at packs with about the same capacity as I have now but with much lighter weights. I've come across the Mariposa from Gossamer Gear and the Circuit from ULA. I've read some reviews on this forum about the two but from what I can tell they appear to be older. Some mention the lack of load lifters (which I love about my Gregory) on the Mariposa, but I see on their website it says they're standard. So I'm guessing the pack has just been redesigned since then. Also some have complained that the Mariposa isn't very comfortable at the heavier end of their specs (which is probably where I'll be) due to their shoulder strap design but I see where that has been redesigned as well.

So, what I'm looking for here is anyone who has the newer versions of either the Mariposa or the circuit or actually any other pack that would fit into the category I'm looking for. Any advice you provide, both positive and negative, would be very beneficial. Thanks for the help!

In the same debate as you here. Circuit vs. Mariposa... so yeah, i'd love to hear some advice!
    "Its a long hard walk, but I will walk hard"
    -Dewey Cox

The GG Mariposa and ULA Circuit are both great packs. If you can, try each on, fully loaded and see how they fit you. I believe both companied have solid return policies and great customer support. Call them up before you order.

I found that the hip belt on the Circuit worked for me the best so I went that way. The most I've carried in it is 27 pounds or so. Usually I'm in the 17-22 range.

This is just one man's opinion, but if your pack weight is going to be 37 pounds, I am not sure you will be happy with either. I've had a Circuit, and for me it was only comfortable up to about 25.

I might suggest you step it down a bit in the Gregory family. I also have a Z65, which weighs much less than your current pack. For me, 37 pounds would be the upper limit for this Gregory as well, but since you say you like your current pack other than its weight, this seems to be something for you to consider.

The OP might find the ULA Catalyst to be more appropriate given a pack weight in the mid to high 30s. I have a Circuit and find it very comfortable but I am only very rarely above 30 pounds and more often between 20-26. I have used the Circuit for short periods into the low-mid 30s but it is noticeable less comfortable at that level. The Catalyst is designed for up to 40 pounds.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    This is just one man's opinion, but if your pack weight is going to be 37 pounds, I am not sure you will be happy with either. I've had a Circuit, and for me it was only comfortable up to about 25.
    I agree. To use the packs the OP named, you need a lighter load. The Mariposa in particular, which I have used for years and really love, can handle a little less because it is frameless. Normally you have to roll up a foam sleeping pad inside to create the "frame"

I'm guessing that 37 pounds is the total weight of everything? A more useful number is "base weight," which is the weight of all your gear but NOT including food and water. IMO, you should only switch to a UL pack if your base weight is around 15 lbs. I think the Mariposa is a great pack, but I think you need to lighten your load before you can use one comfortably.

If you want, you can post your gear list here. It is often possible to lighten up by making some simple and inexpensive changes.

I recently got the unaweep pack from a newer company called seekoutside
    http://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/
    They have produce external frame packs with a twist that are as comfortable as an internal. I've been impressed with my initial training hikes. It is very comfortable. I like it because I don't find traditional internal frame packs with stays and a lumbar pad comfortable for my body type. With the unaweep you have a 3 pound pack that will handle any load you could possibly care, light or heavy. You don't have to worry about thinking is this too heavy for the pack or worry that with a 20 pound overnight summer load that it will be awkward.

Hyperlite Mountain Gear 4400 Southwest. 2 pounds. 2 pounces. 60 pound carrying capacity if needed. Before anyone says, "I'll never carry 60 pounds." think about this...
    40 pounds (OP's stated loads) in a 60 pound pack will carry better than 40 pounds in a 30 pound (maybe-probably closer to 25 pound) pack.

No, base weight is just one component of total weight. I can get close, maybe a tad under, 10 pounds of "base weight". Add a weeks worth of groceries, 12-14 pounds. 2 gallons of water, 16 pounds + container weight. BAM! I'm at 40 pounds. Out of bounds for ULA and other UL backpacks. That is why the Hyperlite backpacks are looking better and better for anyone wishing to carry enough stuff to stay out for a week or longer. The Hyperlite 3400 (40 pounds max. load) for those who are able to travel lighter. However, there is only 2 ounces difference between the 3400 & 4400. The 4400 makes more sense for year round use where room for bulky items becomes more important than a couple ounces of pack weight.
    The Paradox Packs mentioned in Post #7 also deserve attention for the same reasons.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I don't really agree, Venchka. For one, the situation you mentioned (1 week of food plus 2 gallons of water???) is extremely unlikely, especially on the AT. The water in particular is overkill. I used less than that to hike 30 miles between water sources on the PCT.

If someone is looking for a new backpack, they should not think, "What if I need 30 lbs of food and water??" For the vast majority of 3-season backpackers that is not a concern. (this situation could happen on the CDT in New Mexico. And even those hikers use mostly UL packs)

Thanks for all of the replies!, yes, 37 pounds is everything...including the pack. We hike for no less than a week at a time so that includes a weeks worth of food and carrying about two liters of water. I was somewhat afraid that someone would say those packs were slightly out of my weight range. I've looked at the other packs from Gregroy but noticed their "lightweight" series (Z series) are "only" about two pounds lighter than my Baltoro. I know that's fairly significant but for the same price as some of the other lightweight packs I was trying to get the most bang for my buck. But I don't want to sacrifice comfort for price. Ill take a look at those other packs mentioned. I appreciate the suggestions. I'll try to post my gear list later today. I'm always open to lighten my load.

Have you looked at the Osprey exos 58? A great combination of weight and price with a fully functional frame. I think the exos will allow you to carry that weight more comfortable that those ultralight packs. I believe those ultralight packs are best designed for sub 20lbs and 2-3 day trips. Comfort > a few oz.

Quote Originally Posted by meat803 View Post
    Have you looked at the Osprey exos 58? A great combination of weight and price with a fully functional frame. I think the exos will allow you to carry that weight more comfortable that those ultralight packs. I believe those ultralight packs are best designed for sub 20lbs and 2-3 day trips. Comfort > a few oz.
    Actually, yes. And it seems very nice. My only concern with that one was volume. I was worried going from 65 liters to 58 would be difficult.

Here's my gear list. I feel like I've streamlined it a bit from my '12 hike, but as I mentioned before, I'm always opened to suggestions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Says you have AA and AAA batteries _and_ a portable power source but only lists Steripen and headlight. ?

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

I picked up an Osprey Exos 58 large because I wanted the mesh panel. Its an older one and on me it is not a large, more like a medium minus. Currently have a Granite Gear Nimbus Trace large 62L with (swapped out) XL waist belt and large shoulder straps then I added 2 waist belt pockets and 2 strap pockets. It actual measured weight, with Lid is 2094gms or 74 ozs.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Just a general comment on the redesigned Gossamer Gear packs. I had two Mariposas and one Gorilla and sold them. But recently tried a new Gorilla and found it perfect, my favorite pack so far (I also own a ULA Ohm 2.0). The point is that the new GG is better than the old GG, so it may be worth trying the Mariposa. In the end, since we have different bodies, expectations, and requirements, it is good to try different packs until we find the perfect one, or at least the almost-perfect one.

++ New Posts ++