WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Kent considers installing Port-a-potties

http://www.newstimes.com/local/artic...pe-5542897.php

I'm posting this for informational purposes only and hope it doesn't lead to more Kent bashing. (But I know it will.)

Fairty, a Chamber vice president, said a permament solution is needed. He and his business partner, Ann McAndrew, would like to see a building or trailer owned by the town with toilets and showers for Appalachian Trial hikers to use when they pass through.
    That would be nice.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Just what sort of portables are coming was not clear Tuesday, the standard variety with plastic walls and never enough toilet paper, or the fancier styles with porcelain commodes, wood paneling and chandeliers, somewhat like the $1,500-a-john variety Chelsea Clinton had at her wedding.

Because of course they all know what was at Chelsea Clinton's wedding. (And, no, their hyperlink was no help, at least on my computer.)

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    http://www.newstimes.com/local/artic...pe-5542897.php

I'm posting this for informational purposes only and hope it doesn't lead to more Kent bashing. (But I know it will.)
    KENT Bashing, i love Kent especially the laundromat, in my oppinion Kent is one of the better towns in CT I have always recieved a good reception in Kent, and i think if they added Port-a-potties that would be AWESOME, No KENT BASHING here BRO.

This statement from the article sums up the snobby people of Kent:

"I don't see the people who frequent Kent going into a port-a-pottie," said Karen Casey, a real estate agent. "It's not a class act. There are people who just aren't going to be comfortable using them."

Those people remind me of the snobby uptight people on NPR.

Images

In Kent it is pronounced Peurto Pohttay don'y you know? Skip Kent. Go to Bulls Bridge and then Cornwall
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Hikers aren't the only ones who may need to use a toilet in Kent. You will frequently see large groups of motorcyclists parked along the streets of Kent on nice weekends, as well as occasional drive-by automobile tourists. They probably all ask to use the stores' bathroom facilities. Showers, now...that's no doubt unique to hikers.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    In Kent it is pronounced Peurto Pohttay don'y you know? Skip Kent. Go to Bulls Bridge and then Cornwall
    Skip You, Kent is one of the better towns in CT, I don't understand why people hate kent i have always recieved the upmost respect and an AWESOME reception, I would advise anybody to visit Kent on their AT Adventure.

Images

Are there no hostels or motels in Kent?
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by mad4scrapping View Post
    Are there no hostels or motels in Kent?
    no hostel. expensive motel/inn

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Skip You, Kent is one of the better towns in CT, I don't understand why people hate kent i have always recieved the upmost respect and an AWESOME reception, I would advise anybody to visit Kent on their AT Adventure.
    I don't know why a personal attack is necessary. Kent is a wealthy Connecticut town that mostly treats hikers like homeless bums. The laundromat was legendarily rude to all hikers. They are considering portable toilets in order to reduce the hiker use of public and restaurant rest rooms. They do not care about hiker business because it's such a small % of their retail trade. There is only one high priced inn that does not encourage multiple hikers in a room. Stealth camping in town is the only practical option for most hikers if they stay in town. I don't blame Kent at all. It is not the residents or shop keepers choice to have the AT nearby. But to say it is a hiker friendly town is an insult to Damascus or Monson or the many other hiker towns that actually are friendly. If you choose to take in personally, sorry about that.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

That article is almost laughable...almost!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

IIRC, there is a shelter just outside of Kent. Do a nero. Go into town, get some supplies, grab a meal, hike out. Or, as suggested, skip Kent and use another nearby town instead.

Easy-peasy. Mac-n-cheesy.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    IIRC, there is a shelter just outside of Kent. Do a nero. Go into town, get some supplies, grab a meal, hike out. Or, as suggested, skip Kent and use another nearby town instead.

Easy-peasy. Mac-n-cheesy.
    Yep, that's what most hikers do. It's only a 10 minute walk to town. And if you want to save some time and effort, you can hike down the road along the river to the next shelter instead of going up and over the ridge.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Kent sucks.

Kent sucks and so do most trail towns in CT generally. I have hiked through CT a few times and always got unfriendly and racist vibes from people. I was walking down the street in Kent and some guy yelled As-salamu alaykum at me (I look vaguely middle-eastern) from like 30 feet away from his porch and proceeded to interrogate me about my heritage and was extremely rude and condescending, making comments about my beard and not knowing whether or not to get his gun cause he thought AL-quiada was coming into town. An isolated incident you may think, but to me it speaks volumes about the culture in that part of CT and, overall reflects my experience there; either being treated like a bum, a thief, or a terrorist.

kent is great. just no affordable place to stay but that's what the woods are for

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tron-Life View Post
    from his porch and proceeded to interrogate me about my heritage and was extremely rude and condescending, making comments about my beard and not knowing whether or not to get his gun cause he thought AL-quiada was coming into town. An isolated incident you may think, but to me it speaks volumes about the culture in that part of CT and, overall reflects my experience there; either being treated like a bum, a thief, or a terrorist.
    Don't know if it is CT or people can just be rude in general.

In October 2001, I flew from Colorado to Boston for the ALDHA gathering being held in NH that year. Flights had just started again and people were on edge.

At the time, I had a full head of black hair and a neatly trimmed black beard. (Now I am bald and if I grow my beard out, it is streaked with a lot of gray ).
    Because of my ancestry, I have a natural light tan complexion..aka olive skin. When outdoors, it gets darker.

In any case, on the plane in Denver, a gentleman looks at me says "If your nose was bigger, I'd be worried!" (*** ?!?!).

On the bus from Boston to Hanover, another person looks at me and says " I see they are allowing Afghanis on the bus".

Mind you in the greater Boston area, there are plenty of young males who look similar to me due to the population of many people of southern European descent (Greece, Portugal and Italy esp). Probably the beard more than anything.

People are just plain ignorant at times regardless of location.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Those people remind me of the snobby uptight people on NPR.
    My daughter has been on NPR, Pedaling Fool.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    My daughter has been on NPR, Pedaling Fool.

Rain Man

I don't talk in absolutes. I listen to NPR along with other stations, because music gets old after a while on long rides. I especially like Science Friday and love to listen to Brian Greene or Michio kaku.

But there are some on that station that have the pseudo-voice of intelluctualism; you can almost always detect this in their manner of speech.

Maybe you can give a link to your daughters interview. I'm sure she's not one of the snobby types.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++