WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

And yes Zelph, regardless of the color, if Caffin says it's a winner, it's a winner.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    And yes Zelph, regardless of the color, if Caffin says it's a winner, it's a winner.
    Come and get you Boy/s Them ole rhode-islqand freshy breakfest for alwa76s

Images

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Come and get you Boy/s Them ole rhode-islqand freshy breakfest for alwa76s
    Yee Ha...WhiteTop... Com on dogs, REALLY? Inquire on Laurel Ave. I LOVE Where I am...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Yee Ha...WhiteTop... Com on dogs, REALLY? Inquire on Laurel Ave. I LOVE Where I am...
    Okay, chin head needs to spin... I feel without **** as to be connected to this pos. Its OK Big dog gonnawake up and eat.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt65 View Post
    No problem. It's been a great little stove so far. My best measurement on the stand diameter is about 83mm.

Attachment 27621

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Whoa!!! thank you so much.

Got my ancient caliper out and measured a couple cans and my reading is 83/84mm ID You can see the lip in the photo that will prevent slide off. Now how am I going to sleep nights waiting for my stove to arrive I anticipate it will fit exactly, if not better

Just Bill, thank you for the photos of yours. Yousa guys are spot on "the best"

Side note: I'll sleep better knowing it's going to fit

Conquistador Bot. Dia. 001.jpgConquistador Bot. Dia. 002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Whoa!!! thank you so much.

Got my ancient caliper out and measured a couple cans and my reading is 83/84mm ID You can see the lip in the photo that will prevent slide off. Now how am I going to sleep nights waiting for my stove to arrive I anticipate it will fit exactly, if not better

Just Bill, thank you for the photos of yours. Yousa guys are spot on "the best"

Side note: I'll sleep better knowing it's going to fit

Conquistador Bot. Dia. 001.jpgConquistador Bot. Dia. 002.jpg
    No problem, glad to help. Has your stove arrived yet?

Images

It's suppose to arrive tomorrow. With the holiday on Friday it might arrive on Tuesday. We'll have to wait and see

I suspect it's going to fit well. It's going to be the best thing since sliced bread You'll be able to have the pot stay on even if the ground is slanted or the floor of the shelter is bowed. If the pot is bumped a little it will still remain on the pot supports, no more lost water due to pots sliding off.

Images

When backpacking and camping with my wife, we love this insulated Stanley cookset. It has 2 super-convenient, indestructable cups, and is $15 on a bad day and I don't know what it weighs but its not a lot. The whole thing clamps closed and is self-contained. Got it at Sports Authority for car camping and it became our couples backpacking fave too. Even used it on the campfire. I also got a snow peak 900 titanium set at the REI garage sale for half price - though missing the kinda essential mesh bag, which came along for the ride but was only used to hold the stove and canister... some things are worth a little extra weight. If you don't need the cups, its probably half the weight. We just like having those, they're very easy and pleasant to make a cup of coffee in and easier to wash.

http://www.grainger.com/product/21EL...140707155628:s

The snow peak set I would use going out on my own since i don't need cups then and it DOES nicely contain the pocket rocket and canister. What is not-so-good about it though is that without that bag, this doesn't latch together to stay closed like a decent mess kit should, so I use a small ditty bag.But weight-wise this is a good option when solo.

Images

just found some specs. also i guess the price depends on where you get it. the link i posted says $26 but it can be found cheaper for sure.

13.9 oz w/ cups
    7.9 oz w/o plastic cups.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt65 View Post
    No problem, glad to help. Has your stove arrived yet?
    Matt, it arrived today....It fits puuuuuurrrrrrfect

Now to do some testing having the set-up at an angle and boil some water under field conditions. I'll use the Conquistador that holds 24oz water.

Ill do a video also.

Olicamp Ion 001.jpg

Now to do some testing having the set-up at an angle and boil some water under field conditions. I'll use the Conquistador that holds 24oz water.

Ill do a video also.

Olicamp Ion 001.jpg
    No kidding, great fit indeed. I look forward to the video.

Old camp website lists the stove and their XTS pot but that's all! I could not buy anything - no shopping cart link and what is worse their email address returns a "couldn't be found".
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Olicamp (*&€£\)! spell checker.
    Anyway I found it on Amazon.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Ill do a video also.

Olicamp Ion 001.jpg
    So why is Mr. Alchy stove himself getting all hot and bothered over a canister stove?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    So why is Mr. Alchy stove himself getting all hot and bothered over a canister stove?
    All things that work out for the best possible cooking experience is a thrill. Anything to make life easier is what experimenting is all about.

May years ago I got hooked on DIY stove making. One thing led to another. My choice of fuel is "wood" but that doesn't work for most hikers.

Pots sliding off canister stoves is a common thing. If I see a resolve for something....hey, try it out, nothing ventured, nothing gained. In this instance it worked out perfect. There are hundreds of flat Bottom Pots out there that can be used with the OliCamp Ion stove. As you know, there are gazillions of personal preferences when it comes to gear, something different for everyone.

All things that work out for the best possible cooking experience is a thrill. Anything to make life easier is what experimenting is all about.

May years ago I got hooked on DIY stove making. One thing led to another. My choice of fuel is "wood" but that doesn't work for most hikers.

Pots sliding off canister stoves is a common thing. If I see a resolve for something....hey, try it out, nothing ventured, nothing gained. In this instance it worked out perfect. There are hundreds of flat Bottom Pots out there that can be used with the OliCamp Ion stove. As you know, there are gazillions of personal preferences when it comes to gear, something different for everyone.
    Once a tinkerer, always a tinkerer... Gently teasing my friend, lol. As a fella who uses them all as well I understand completely and sympathize with your addiction.
    And yes, this stove is an excellent option for many folks and not cost prohibitive either. If I could pick a perfect stove to reccomend to anyone this would be near the top of the list, if not on top. Have fun with it.

Images

Bill. it been a long ride and lots of fun.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post

But last month we did a long weekend hike and I did some fuel consumption testing...
    I have used the micro rocket for a total of two weekends and was wondering if the conventional wisdom regarding efficient fuel use is to turn up to full blast.

Journal Entries

Bill. it been a long ride and lots of fun.

Just one tip about the arms on both stoves...they wiggle a little too much for me so I tapped on the rivets with a small hammer to tighten them up. I had the Olicamp but lost my cook kit bag so I got the FireFly and both worked/are Working great.
    Tridavis

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I have used the micro rocket for a total of two weekends and was wondering if the conventional wisdom regarding efficient fuel use is to turn up to full blast.
    Not much of a stove nerd, but my understanding is yes- provided the flame spread doesn't spill over the sides of your pot too much.
    If the flame spills over the side it's mostly wasted heat, and in that case you are better turning it down to match your pot.
    The Olicamp has a very tight flame spread even at full blast.

I'm sure there's way more to it but that was my layman's understanding of the process.
    That and short and wide beats tall and narrow, you know, the old girth versus length debate.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++