WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

If your doing Clingman's to Fontana you can leave the tent or hammock behind because you'll be in shelters.

But then I would probably put in a second air mattress to double up the padding on those hard boards! So no savings there

Journal Entries

this time of year, about 14 lbs with 2.5 days food and 1.5 L water

Of course, a 33 mile hike would really be a 2 day hike, so 1.5 days food, = about 12.5 lbs or so.

Somewhere between inconsequential and unnoticeable, but pack weight is still fun to play with. I start laughing every time I total it up! Just found my gear list for what was supposed to be a 3 day hike in NC last month, but turned into an overnighter, and thought of this thread. It's kind of jumbled, but off to the side I wrote "13.9# 3 days/2nights w/water". I don't eat much when just out for a couple days, and typically don't cook except in cold weather, so no stove and not much food. >3lbs(49.28oz) of that was my 2 700mL water bottles. Recent overnight was a hair over 12lbs with the same stuff, just less food. My shelter is 27oz with the bug netting in, and my pack with a suspended mesh back panel that isn't going anywhere is 2lbs, so this is about as light as I'm likely to get.

Somewhere in the 8-9 lbs range fully loaded. You can really get a low pack weight this time of year in the Southeast.

Backpack - 8oz
    40F Quilt/Bag - 12oz
    Pad - 13.5oz
    Tarp,stakes,bug nest - 10oz

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    Somewhere in the 8-9 lbs range fully loaded. You can really get a low pack weight this time of year in the Southeast.

Backpack - 8oz
    40F Quilt/Bag - 12oz
    Pad - 13.5oz
    Tarp,stakes,bug nest - 10oz

Ryan
    OK where do you get a 40F Quilt/Bag at 12 oz. Custom made?

Hammock Gear Burrow 40 is advertised as 11.6oz for the standard size and width with full taper and 7oz of 850 fill. Whether that's accurate or not, I don't know. My Underground Quilts Flight Jacket 50F quilt in the 72" Wide is listed at 12.75oz with 6oz of 850 fill, though it actually weighs 13.2oz.

Rafe,

I made it myself. 900fp down and 7d nylon from Tigoat.

Ryan

I just finished doing two 3-day 25-30mi hikes and my base weight came to roughly 12lb, without food or water. I did carry two extra pairs of socks however.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++