WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Sounds like you've got the idea. I soak my down before stuffing it in my DIY projects. Keeps it from floating all over the place. Well, for the most part, that is. Even wet, some gets out. I did learn that plain water won't soak it very well, so I use some "down wash" soap in the water. That helps. And after the DIY project is done, I throw it in the wash anyway.

RainMan

EXCELLENT IDEA!
    Making gear is tricky enough without getting into a pillow fight with yourself doing it.
    Between this tip and the new dri-down maybe it's time...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    does anyone have a guess what the percentage of hammockers attempting a through not he A.T. are? Was I right in my earlier 'guess' that maybe 3 out of 10 A.T. hikers use hammocks?
    zero- hammock hangers are too laid back to thru
    However 9/10 people at hammock forums use hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    does anyone have a guess what the percentage of hammockers attempting a through not he A.T. are? Was I right in my earlier 'guess' that maybe 3 out of 10 A.T. hikers use hammocks?
    30% might be a bit high from my experience but it probably isn't far off.

I am one that prefers my tent over my hammock but there were a few times I had trouble finding a place to put my tent, not many, but enough to be a bother. Hammockers def have more options to where to end their day. As a tenter there were times I felt forced to stop early since I was uncertain what terain was ahead of me.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images
    I am not young enough to know everything.

As long as the thread reads, "Hammocks on the AT" and I hopefully won't be hijacking the thread... I do have a question for those that have spent March through July or have done different section hikes on the AT during that spread of months or maybe temperature range is a better way to put it. I use a Therm-a-rest Z-lite pad (purchased prior to reading all the great things about CCF pads) for my WBBB DL. I have yet to purchase an Underquilt. However, when I do bite the bullet, is it smarter to combo the pad with a higher 30* quilt on a thru or go with a 20* and not use the pad except for shelters? If I do combo to get the use of the pad for the weight of carrying it; can I stretch to a 40* Incubator. I have done a lot of research on here and hammock forums but have not read the answers to this question, yet both sites have got my set-up more versitile and light weight than ever... so thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    LOL... it doubles as part of my incognito outfit for Clemson games in November! I think it's quite lovely! ~wink~

RainMan

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    As long as the thread reads, "Hammocks on the AT" and I hopefully won't be hijacking the thread... I do have a question for those that have spent March through July or have done different section hikes on the AT during that spread of months or maybe temperature range is a better way to put it. I use a Therm-a-rest Z-lite pad (purchased prior to reading all the great things about CCF pads) for my WBBB DL. I have yet to purchase an Underquilt. However, when I do bite the bullet, is it smarter to combo the pad with a higher 30* quilt on a thru or go with a 20* and not use the pad except for shelters? If I do combo to get the use of the pad for the weight of carrying it; can I stretch to a 40* Incubator. I have done a lot of research on here and hammock forums but have not read the answers to this question, yet both sites have got my set-up more versitile and light weight than ever... so thanks.
    I personally would go with a 20* UQ and not use it in my hammock. Better nights sleep for me anyway. And depending on when you start and how cold of a sleeper your are. You may still want to use your pad with a 20* UQ in the hammock. Some nights deep into the teens depending on your start date. There's not much weight savings between a 30* and a 20*. To be on the safe side I would go with the 20. I'll be using a setup similar to yours. 20* TQ, 20* 3/4 UQ, and a Neoair for when I want to go to ground/shelter. The Neoair also lets me use my hammock into colder temps.

Thanks fastfox... without an UQ, I have not stretched the Hammock temperature the way I want to in the next couple of years while getting ready for Retirement. Having spent 30 years backpacking, I just recently started to switch out, or better yet, upgrade/modernize my equipment. The Hammock was a big switch and so I am am still trying to get the last bit of life out of a Synthetic 20* bag before purchasing the TQ and UQ. An AT thru is quite a few years away but planning for the typical Mid March Departure. Your thoughts are very sound.

Images

I take a 3/4 length CCF pad for my hammock in warm weather. It doubles as a place to take a nap on a mountaintop, or for use in a shelter. (Your Z-lite is CCF, by the way.) For a March AT thru start, I'd get a 20F underquilt and use both the quilt and the pad on colder nights.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I take a 3/4 length CCF pad for my hammock in warm weather. It doubles as a place to take a nap on a mountaintop, or for use in a shelter. (Your Z-lite is CCF, by the way.) For a March AT thru start, I'd get a 20F underquilt and use both the quilt and the pad on colder nights.

I thought the CCF was just referring to the Gossamergear flat grey pads or the old closed cell green roll pad that I have but cannot get an R-Value to judge it by. But what you say makes sense "duh", the Z - lite is closed cell. One question though, Is the 3/4 pad just to save weight and pack easier with a trade off of just lower body coverage in the hammock? PS Read a lot of your post Bigcranky, thanks for your help with the 50+ age group!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Is the 3/4 pad just to save weight and pack easier with a trade off of just lower body coverage in the hammock?
    Yes. A full length pad is larger/bulkier to pack, and it's more difficult to use inside the hammock anyway.

The 20-inch wide pads are ok for warmer weather, in my experience, but for cold nights they aren't wide enough to wrap around my shoulders (I'm pretty big.) I have successfully used just a 25x77-inch Ridgerest XL in temps below freezing in my Hennessy Hammock, though it was a real PITA to get in and out of the hammock and the bag with that giant pad inside. Of course, if you get an underquilt that'll be your primary bottom insulation, with the pad for additional torso warmth.

Now that I think about it, on our first section hike, back in June, 2003, I used a 3/4 length, 20 inch wide Ridgerest in my Hennessy, and a low-end 45-F bag, and the overnight lows got down into the 30s, and I lived. It wasn't particularly comfortable, but keeping the torso warm is the most important part anyway.

Some CCF pads come in wider widths - not just the GG pads, but I think the Walmart pad is still 24 inches wide. I cut one down to 3/4 length a couple of years ago for a summer hike and it was great (and cheap!)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I just saved my money and bought a ENO Blaze Underquilt. I can hang my hammock in the snow and sleep fine. Works great and i'm a straight cry baby when it comes to cold.

"May life be as spiritually rich as it is materially simple" Aboriginal Proverb

There are a million ways to hammock. Hammocking can EASILY be dont throughout the AT due to the abundance of trees.

As for cold temps, you do lose more heat via convection in a hammock, hence the use of underquilts and inflatable pads. I use a 3.5 R-rating pad with a down bag and find it just as warm as any tent, at least in the rockies. A full-coverage tarp is essential for hammock camping though. The last thing you want is to be d!cking around with your tarp for 30 minutes every night trying to get the perfect pitch; or worse, getting rain drafts in the middle of the night. Spend the extra $$ and get a full coverage sil-nylon tarp. Weighs about 1 lb. Warbonnet Outdoors makes the best hammock tarp on the market, IMO.

"Loner" did a thru with a hammock. Here's the vid where he shows his rig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTft2mLI0k

Hammocks remind me of how snowboarding started out.. Most people were very skeptical at first but once they tried them they were hooked. I thru hiked the AT in 2007 with a hammock and that is the way to go for me. I did use a hubba on the Muier Trail and missed my hammock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++