Default Pack recommendation?

Hi everyone! I'm looking for a backpack and I could use your help. I am 5' 0" on a good day, female. I am not new to hiking and camping, I'm just looking to go lighter; ultralight if possible. I am looking for a pack that I can use now for 3-5 day hikes with the ultimate goal of hiking the AT. I've been looking at an Osprey Aura 50 (small)and the fit is really good. Just wondering if there other packs I should look at to compare. Price is a concern, but will spend the money if it is going to last me awhile. Thanks for any input you can provide.

i would also like to know your thoughts on quilts vs. bags? Which bag or quilt?

Journal Entries

If you would like to ;earn more about top quilts check out this link in Hammocksforums.net.
    Blackheart

Oops, ladies forum, just Passin through.

Hi Bushcraftbaby, and as a fellow Carolinian,

The Osprey you mentioned (while it may be a good pack) at 3 lbs it is definitely not ultralight. If you want to lighten up, this is a good chance to think about your gear. To go ultralight, you have to treat your gear as a system. For example, the Osprey Aura has an internal frame. But if your gear is light enough, you can get a frameless backpack, and roll up a foam sleeping pad inside to make a sort of frame.

It is a common myth that lightweight gear is really expensive. Of course, if you go to the REI in Cary and say, "Give me your finest lightweight gear!" then you will spend $$$ and probably have a pretty heavy backpack anyway. (and keep in mind, just because a product is labeled "ultralight" doesn't mean that it's true!) But if you do some research, there are a lot of cheap but light options out there. For example, the O2 rain jacket costs $30 and weighs only 5oz. Compare that to many rain jackets at REI that weigh more than a pound and cost $200.
    (here is the O2. As a 5'0 woman even the small will probably be too big, it was for me. But just an example for the price)
    http://o2rainwear.com/2011/03/original-hooded-jacket/

For a backpack, a good ultralight example for $135 and only 24oz (over a pound lighter than the Osprey!) is the ULA CDT

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/cdt.htm

OK well I could really write a dissertation on this topic So let me know if you want to hear more

Osprey packs are good, and they make some of the lightest packs around. Campsaver has some of these on sale for 30% off right now.
    http://bc25.com/coupon/30-osprey-backpacks-campsaver/
    For 3-5 day backpacking trips, you shouldn't need more than a 50 liter pack. The Osprey Aura 50L is a great women's pack and only weighs in at just over 3 lbs.

Check out Z-Packs or Gossamer Gear.

Lol, Quasarr, please feel free to present your dissertation here. Any info is appreciated and considered. If you are near Raleigh, I'm always looking for someone to go hiking with.

Also check out the Crowne Vi from Granite gear...it comes in at 2.2lbs... I've never personally used it but I hike the AT with a couple of people that absolutely love it!!!
    This is my one small step, this is my walk on the moon! ~Great Big Sea

I have the ULA Catalyst... bigger than I need, but was a good deal on Craigslist. The company is great, was very helpful when I called about some adjustments and even sent me some accessories that I was missing. I have pulled the foam and stays out and used my sleeping pad for rigidity. I pack items in the center and then blow a few puffs of air for support. If / when I get my gear completely dialed in, I'll get a smaller ULA.
    ( 5' 107lb)

Images

I started backpacking with an Osprey Aura then moved to the Exos 46. I had the first version and had problems with the suspension (the "o" piece came out & won't go back in - I'm waiting on Osprey customer service to get it fixed). The Exos is way lighter than the Aura. If you like Osprey, that's your best bet. I have since moved to the USA circuit & love it. It took me awhile to adjust to not having all of the organization options that I was used to with the Osprey, but I'm dealing.

Images

I started backpacking with an Osprey Aura then moved to the Exos 46. I had the first version and had problems with the suspension (the "o" piece came out & won't go back in - I'm waiting on Osprey customer service to get it fixed). The Exos is way lighter than the Aura. If you like Osprey, that's your best bet. I have since moved to the USA circuit & love it. It took me awhile to adjust to not having all of the organization options that I was used to with the Osprey, but I'm dealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushcraftbaby View Post
    but will spend the money if it is going to last me awhile. Thanks for any input you can provide.
    Just be aware that ultra light is just that and will not last as long as gear built with heavier material. I have started using some of the Ultra light packs and like them but my Old Kelty External with still be with me after all the ultra light packs are gone.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I have the ULA Circuit and love it. You can customize the hip belt and torso size, even the strap shape to accommodate our... ahem, womanly assets. It's like 2 lbs and some change if I remember, for you the small size would be even lighter.

I have an Osprey Kyte in XS and love it. (I'm only an inch taller that you, OP.)

Also might want to check out ULA, backpacks for thru-hikers by thru-hiker. They don't cost any more than packs made in China and you can get a pack sized to you. They also have strap designs specifically for women.

Images

Sorry, clicked then noticed this was a Female forum, but since I just bought a ULA for my wife, I'll butt in and tell you she loves her ULA, much better, lighter and more comfortable than her suite of Osprey packs, so you really should check them out. AND, don't worry about durability, they are very durable; I've done 2000 miles now with my ULA OHM 2.0 and it looks brand new, not a scratch. UL does not mean not durable necessarily.

I used a ULA circuit on my thru. It is extremely comfortable, lightweight, durable, and plenty big! (my weight was around 20-25 lbs). You should check them out!

I am looking for my first pack for a 4-week section hike next year. I am 5'3" and heavy. I am thinking about getting the Gossamer Gorilla or Gossamer Mariposa. The pack and belt are purchased separately so I can get different sizes. I would like some feedback please.

++ New Posts ++