WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hammock camping on the CT

I'm planning a thu-hike next year on the CT. Has anybody thru-hiked the CT with a hammock? I know your at or above tree line. Any issues? If so what sections?

Segments 23-24 have the longest stretches above treeline but I've heard from others that with planning, you can hammock every night.

I will say HYOH but some of my favorite campsites were in the open tundra where there were no trees nearby. Assuming you're hiking post-bug season, you may want to consider cowboy camping although you also run the risk of getting rained on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Segments 23-24 have the longest stretches above treeline but I've heard from others that with planning, you can hammock every night..
    It is 34 miles at high elevation from where you leave the trees in Seg 22 to where you hit them again in Seg. 24. Unless you can hike that in one day, you either will have to forego the hammock one night or hike down off-trail somewhere. The Middle and West forks of Pole Creek both have trees within two miles of the trail but you would still have to do 20+ miles to make them work.

There are some great camping areas along the way as the trail undulates a lot and you can camp in some lower spots that are fairly protected, but they have no trees.
    Last edited by bearcreek; 06-18-2014 at 10:37.

Images

We were discussing this very topic on the CT the last few days. My hiking partner is a hanger and we were talking about what he will do later in his CT section hiking.

Trees are not the only option for hanging a hammock; rocks work if you can find a pair tall enough and the right distance apart (of course) and not too huge so you can get a sling around them if you take along some reasonable amount of webbing, like say 50 feet of 9/16" webbing, or perhaps 6mm perlon cord.

Yes, a weight penalty, but you'd only need it for that one section. I just did a quick weight check: 50 feet of 6mm perlon is about 15 ounces, add 2 more for a couple of small 'biners or rap rings so just over a pound. 5mm perlon would be strong enough to save a couple/few ounces, and that 9/16" webbing might be a tad lighter.

OR even a couple pieces of rock pro to place in cracks in nearby boulders. Small cams weigh about 3-4 ounces, nuts less, but cams are more versatile. should be able to get under a pound easily, though if your not a climber, pro is expensive ($50 minimum for a cam), the sling or perlon option is way cheaper. Slingage is about 30 cents a foot at REI, so $15 for 50 feet.

Just brain storming... I'm not a hanger, but I hike with one all the time and understand his needs.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    We were discussing this very topic on the CT the last few days. My hiking partner is a hanger and we were talking about what he will do later in his CT section hiking.

Trees are not the only option for hanging a hammock; rocks work if you can find a pair tall enough and the right distance apart (of course) and not too huge so you can get a sling around them if you take along some reasonable amount of webbing, like say 50 feet of 9/16" webbing, or perhaps 6mm perlon cord.

Yes, a weight penalty, but you'd only need it for that one section. I just did a quick weight check: 50 feet of 6mm perlon is about 15 ounces, add 2 more for a couple of small 'biners or rap rings so just over a pound. 5mm perlon would be strong enough to save a couple/few ounces, and that 9/16" webbing might be a tad lighter.

OR even a couple pieces of rock pro to place in cracks in nearby boulders. Small cams weigh about 3-4 ounces, nuts less, but cams are more versatile. should be able to get under a pound easily, though if your not a climber, pro is expensive ($50 minimum for a cam), the sling or perlon option is way cheaper. Slingage is about 30 cents a foot at REI, so $15 for 50 feet.

Just brain storming... I'm not a hanger, but I hike with one all the time and understand his needs.
    Or you could go old school and use a chockstone like early climbers did for protection, any right sized rock will usually do, long as it's not crumbly/weathered/rotten. Wedge it in the crack of a boulder jamming your webbing or cordage.

I briefly experimented with a hammock but went back to a ultralight tent setup. What made the hammock seem ideal was that it was comfortable without a pad under the bag, saving the bulk and weight of the pad. I learned that I still had to sleep on a closed cell pad of some sort or I was miserably cold. I was cold even using the hammock with a pad, so I carried a warmer, heavier bag. Whatever weight savings on the shelter was lost at this point.

Probably just as light or lighter (and much simpler) to just carry a small tent. There are a number of tents in the 2 pounds or less category out there now.

Sorry I just realized I posted this on the wrong thread.

There are some long stretches above treeline, and other sections where you are in shrubs with nothing to tie off to. I'd discourage hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    There are some long stretches above treeline, and other sections where you are in shrubs with nothing to tie off to. I'd discourage hammocks.
    I agree. I'm sure that it is possible with a hammock, but I camped at 4 or 5 places where a hammock would not have worked.

++ New Posts ++