WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    There is also now a wide version of the regular length Exped, the Synmat UL 7 MW that's only 3oz heavier than the regular version.
    This just came in the mail to me 2 days ago. I measured it fully inflated and it was a solid 25" wide!!

DLP - I have the exact same issues sleeping as you do. Have tried pretty much the same experiments also (including building the "fort" around my pad at night with anything I could find in my pack.

I love my Thermorest pro lite plus womens, but I can't stay on it and it's just not wide enough. Looking forward to trying the new Exped next week while out. I am also willing to add a few ounces to my pack for a good night's sleep.

Just be aware the Synmat UL 7 only has an R value of like 3.1.

I also have the Thermarest pro lite womens and it works well in the hammock. But in shelters or on the ground I put the Klymit Inertia X frame underneath. Hard to explain but it kind of makes the Thermarest "cup" me for more comfort. I add 9 oz but have the choice depending on where I'm going. Am about same size, and I curl on my side also, I just didn't like pressure points.

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    OR... my PERFECT mat would be 25" wide and 47" long. Does anybody make one?
    Klymit inertia Xwave
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    The lighter you go the comfort goes down... that is the rub with UL!
    Trail comfort goes up (lighter pack), camp comforts go down.

I guess it's just a matter of whether you're long distance hiking or long distance camping.

Sleeping pad is the last place you see weight skimped on in experienced people's gear lists, though! Seems that you can hike longer and farther with a good nights sleep--whodathunk?

Heck, the number of inexperienced heavy haulers carrying foam zlite pads that post gear lists every March is pretty amazing. Hike like crap and sleep like crap and they're either dropping mad cash at Neels or calling for a shuttle to take them back to ATL at Hiawassee!
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Quote Originally Posted by shakey_snake View Post
    Heck, the number of inexperienced heavy haulers carrying foam zlite pads that post gear lists every March is pretty amazing.
    That is true out here. Will see people with enormous packs that have to weigh 35 to 60 lbs... and a foam pad strapped on the outside because the pack is so crammed full with... who knows. Never thought of the irony of that before.

Thanks for the Klymit inertia Xwave heads up. Very interesting!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    The lighter you go the comfort goes down... that is the rub with UL!
    Only sometimes true, and not generally so. Why, for example, would 500 fill down be more comfortable than 900 fill of the same loft? Sil-nylon vs. Cuben? A heavy liquid-fuel stove vs. a light canister or alcohol one? A 5 pound pack vs. a 2 pound one with the same suspension? My favorite: a 6.5 ounce Nalgene bottle vs. a 1.6 ounce Gatorade bottle? The mind boggles...

But, I admit, this is generally true with super-UL sleeping pads, though I sleep like a baby on my Neo Air, I know lots of folks don't. I think 16 ounces is well justified for a nice comfy sleeping pad, even 20.

Thanks for the Klymit inertia Xwave heads up. Very interesting!
    The Xwave looks to be a good option for you- as a fellow side sleeper I found myself in the holes of the Xlite pad and had to pass, but this one looks much more solid- REI it just in case.

Campmor has and they have a return policy about the same as REI. I'm sort of worried about the R value on the Klymit Xwave.

I don't think REI has this particular pad.

Campmor has and they have a return policy about the same as REI. I'm sort of worried about the R value on the Klymit Xwave.
    I carry a 1/8" foam pad to put underneath. You can also (with all klymit pads) top it off with some of their argon gas for some insulation. Extra weight either way of course.

But I'm a hot sleeper, so this pad is pretty much perfect by itself during the summer.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

I got a 25" x 77" Neoair on eBay for a good price. 1 pound. I slept on it in the backyard and OMG, it was heavenly! I think maybe it is wider than my allocated "half" of the bed. (Husband's "half" is in the middle. I should be able to sleep on 17.5" of pad just fine, I have years of practice.)

Taking Giant Pad to Giant Sequoia trees and will decide if I have the courage to cut it and iron it. I seriously do not need 77" of pad.

Maybe I'll practice and cut on the 47" one first. Think I can sell it after I cut on it and iron it?

I got a 25" x 77" Neoair on eBay for a good price. 1 pound. I slept on it in the backyard and OMG, it was heavenly! I think maybe it is wider than my allocated "half" of the bed. (Husband's "half" is in the middle. I should be able to sleep on 17.5" of pad just fine, I have years of practice.)

Taking Giant Pad to Giant Sequoia trees and will decide if I have the courage to cut it and iron it. I seriously do not need 77" of pad.

Maybe I'll practice and cut on the 47" one first. Think I can sell it after I cut on it and iron it?
    Glad you have seen the NeoAir light! Leave it alone. You won't save enough ounces to matter. You will be stuck with it. Use the extra space to put things that can't get wet in case your shelter malfunctions from the ground up. How much air are you putting in it? Mine looks like a limp noodle until I law down on it. Then it is fine.
    BTW, they are only 23" wide inflated. There will be room on your 1/4 of the tent.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Gossamer gear makes one of the lightest air pads ive ever seen and it has vertical baffles and is super comfy. I have the 3/4 length one and it only weighs 9.2 oz.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++