WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Updated GPS tracks for 2014

I just got around to editing the GPS track and waypoint files for the BMT to include the relocation. These new files can be found here: http://bmtguide.com/gps.html
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Postholer has updated the online BMT map: http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=14

It is very useful for hikers durring the planning phase. Soon the download map pack should also be updated.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Around and about...

Thanks! This is great.

Images

You're welcome. Have a good hike.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Rock,
    the GPS trail and waypoints are dead on! map and guidebook are excellent! Thanks Very much!!

Images

I try. I do make some mistakes, but thankfully users help me out every year.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

How do I access the waypoint file? My computer keeps asking what program made the file and to "HELP" I am asked to download systems at a cost that basically advertise they will clean up my computer and fix all my problems. I've got the older book and hiked most of Georgia so it is not critical I get the waypoints. Just wondering if how y'all get them.
    If you faint in the face of adversity then your faith is indeed small--Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dog View Post
    How do I access the waypoint file? My computer keeps asking what program made the file and to "HELP" I am asked to download systems at a cost that basically advertise they will clean up my computer and fix all my problems. I've got the older book and hiked most of Georgia so it is not critical I get the waypoints. Just wondering if how y'all get them.
    MD is some word or phrase missing from your post?

You should copy the waypoint file (*.gpx) to your computer or smartphone or GPS reciever for your use.

On a Win7 desktop machine I use gpx files with Garmin's Basecamp (the one I'm trying to master). The program will display the track or route over a base layer like a 100k or 24k Topographic map for a background.

But your comment about HELP is garbled.

Once you've selected the program to open the gpx file are you being asked to download and run a "clean up" program?

If that's the case you may have chosen the wrong file to download or the Web page has a ad link that distracted you (happened to me more than once) or maybe an anti virus program has kicked in?
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    MD is some word or phrase missing from your post?

You should copy the waypoint file (*.gpx) to your computer or smartphone or GPS reciever for your use.

On a Win7 desktop machine I use gpx files with Garmin's Basecamp (the one I'm trying to master). The program will display the track or route over a base layer like a 100k or 24k Topographic map for a background.

But your comment about HELP is garbled.

Once you've selected the program to open the gpx file are you being asked to download and run a "clean up" program?

If that's the case you may have chosen the wrong file to download or the Web page has a ad link that distracted you (happened to me more than once) or maybe an anti virus program has kicked in?
    Thanks for your response Chuck.

Nothing you discussed happens on my computer. When I click on Rock's link, the waypoints download or at least the info at the bottom on my screen indicates they have been downloaded. But I cannot access whatever was downloaded. When I try to open them, I get a message that says Windows cannot open them because Windows cannot determine what program created them. Windows then asks me to identify the program OR to have a web search made to determine the source. When I hit the link for the web search, I get about 5 choices of programs I can use to determins what program created the waypoints. Each has a "recommended" comment beside it. These recommended sites are nothing more than advertisements for programs which will, for a priced, clean your computer of bad registeries, old activity-x controls and such. I use Garmin and base camp but I cannot get anything to see or transfer to base camp.

Images

Do you have a system for adding tracks and waypoints to your garmin? I ask because some people have a GPS but have not ever set up a file transfer and/or installed the GPS software for your PC.

These files are in GPX because it is pretty much a universal GPS file type. However, it may not be universal for you. If not, you need to determine what sort of file your GPS does use. Once you figure it out, there is a website that I find handy that will convert almost any gps file to almost any other GPS file called GPSBabel: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/ To use this you will need to know something about the file types you need to use. I use a DeLorme which has it's own file type but recognizes GPX. My older GPS was a Garmin and it also recognized GPX files. My Garmin program for transferring those files was MapSource.

I hope that helps. I don't know what else I can do for you except maybe convert the files for you if you can tell me what you need.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Sgt Rock is right. The gpx file will not do you any good without
    A a GPS reciver that you can transfer the file to and can utilize the data in that file.
    B software on your machine that can read and display the data.
    Or
    C a smart phone with an app that will also use the data.

What GPS do you have?

When you accessed the go file your computer should have given you _3_ choices.

Save the file as is, something like "xmxm.gpx". In the mac world you would see "xmxm, a gpx file".

Open the file with software already installed on your machine.

Or find a program on the Internet that would open the file.

From the sound of your post you should have:

Saved the gpx file to your machine then hooked up your GPS and transfered the file to it.

Should you choose to look at the actual gpx file data this can be done however you will gain nothing from that except satisfy your curiosity.
    If memory serves a gpx file is a header with data that describes the file and its encoding followed by an array of numbers followed by an end of file marker. (That's a very rough and simplified overview).

If you should choose to look at the fike contents use care. You (probably) cannot damage anything _except_ scramble the file contents. However I just this week loaded a gpx waypoint in Basecamp that was for a location in Antartica. Not what I was expecting.

Almost any pure text editor will let you look in a gpx file but that'll do you no good what so ever.

I appreciate the help but I guess it is not meant for me to use the waypoints. I use a Garmin and Map Source. The GPX file shows to have been saved but I cannot copy or move it, I get the same message saying Windows cannot determine what program created it. I tried http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/ about a year ago with my old Garmin Legend and MapQuest with no success. I thought the newer Garmin and Map Source might make a difference but it has not. Since y'all are making it happen, it is possible, just not for me. Any chance anyone has the GPS data in some simple text or e-mail format. It would be simpler and less time consuming for me to type the individual coordinates into my computer than to try to figure out the technical bug that has me grounded.

I do appreciate y'all help.

I think Garmin has dropped support of Map Source in favor of Basecamp. I'd switch especially since Basecamp is free.

You can't copy or move the gpx file? That's odd. What message are you seeing?

I think (weasel word 'cause I don't know what system you're using or your experience with computers) you should be able to drag and drop the file to your GPS from your Downloads folder or where ever your OS has stashed it.
    I know that Basecamp has a "send to" command built in but I don't think it did anything but transfer a file. Could be wrong there.

Last thought - don't feel slighted by not comprehending any of this. Computerized mapping is proving just as tough for me to learn as Photoshop or Excell or MS WORD or WordPerfect etc _but_ I will get there and you can too!

Just tried to download the Sgt Rock gpx files for the BMT in GSMNP (I want to do the route along Fontana Lake). And both files opened in Basecamp. Believe me if I can do it ... Getting there _is_ little bloody though

Images

If you want to look at the files to manually enter gps coordinates for the waypoints, they are basically all CSV files (comma separated values) that follow a certain format for each specific file type. So a program that can read CSV files can open them if you rename the file extension. Something like Microsloth Excel will do it.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I should have said "Base Camp" and not Map Source when I described my experience with the old Garmin and my new one. Believe it or not but I used to be very involved with computers, pre PC . The major headache I had was fighting the system and programming people over making everything user friendly. I did not want my customers to be pulled away from what they were hired to do to master some computer stuff. I lost. The whole discussion we are having deals with ones computer skills. Although I get lost often it is never for long and I always find my way quickly. I now carry a GPS with some basic way points I can create from looking at maps and google earth. I also mark points as I go so I'm never really lost, I just might not know where the trail is from where I am standing. I thought it would be great to have Sgt Rock's way points pre loaded to help schedule stops each day. But, with my ignorance and basically an unwillingness to try to become more computer literate it is just not meant to be. Thanks for y'all patience though.

GOT IT!!!!! Instead of trying to work around windows and after thinking about what y'all posted, I opened Base Camp, went to files instead of devices and downloaded the waypoints that were in my "download" files. All of Rock's way points showed up on the Base Camp map. It will be a simple process to put them on my GPS. Thanks Chuck and Rock.

Yeah I know (!) It's confusing.

I am looking at a Manual for Basecamp. I like printed matter over raster images. It's at base camp manual dot com. Cost $ 30 and the author appears to be from Germany the sample seems to read smoothly. But it was published in 2010.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++