WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Favorite Junk Food?

Without a doubt, my most favorite junk food is Little Debbie's Oatmeal Cream Pies. If you never had one of these you don't know what your missing. They've been around since the 60's but there kinda hard to find. I get mine at Sam's Club by the box. I might have to Amazon drop these when I do my 2016 thru. What's yours?

Images

I found a new love for little Debbie and loved oatmeal creme pies as a kid but when hiking the banana bread and coffee cakes gave new life for snacks on intown resupply.

Hostess Cupcake with the cream inside and the spiraling white line across the top.

Also love the Little Debbie Nutty Buddy's, Swiss Cake Rolls, Fudge Rounds, and Oatmeal Cream pies.

Also an oatmeal creme pie junkie. My grandfather got me hooked when I was little.

I am also a fan of nilla wafers, great value iced oatmeal cookies, and coconut dreams cookies. I have a cookie problem obviously.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I discovered Little Debbie's fruit pies (apple and cherry) on my SW Virginia section hike this spring, when I couldn't find much else for lunch. These are five-star junk food items for sure. They fueled my hike, but when I returned I had a huge craving for sugar (I don't usually) for 2-3 weeks. Scary.

You guys have some serious problems.

Images

Hey, Chair-man !!

2016 here as well. Where in FL are you? I'm east of Tampa.

Junk food: sour apple gummi rings - bulk nation.

Trail junk food: was payday candy bars, but the new "nekkid" candy bar commercials are really making me wonder. Paydays don't melt.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I thought Little Debbie's was a food group.

And yes squeezebox, I also have a serious problem.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Journal Entries

lmao!
    it is in the mountains of sw Va and WV

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    I thought Little Debbie's was a food group.
    Rolls
    " In the woods, is perpetual youth.”
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Hey, Chair-man !!

2016 here as well. Where in FL are you? I'm east of Tampa.
    I live on the east coast (in an undisclosed location). I'm planning on a early or mid March start from Springer. Just 20 months to go. It will be here before you know it.

Journal Entries

I am big Little Debbie fan when it comes to hiking food. Except for straight Canola oil, its about the highest calorie/$ food you can get. While I luv me some oatmeal pies, I always bring and mail out walnut fudge brownies.That and peanut MMs. Both hold up to the heat, whereas Twix and Snickers are only good in the morning much of the year.

Good & Plenty. Doesn't melt and fits well in a bear can. And it makes (older) people chant the Good & Plenty Train commercial (Choo, Choo!) and seems to give us an emotional pick me to make like the Little Engine that Could and motor up a hill.

I thought that I would want all kinds of chocolate, but something about it makes me gag on trail. Although I eat it just fine at home.

I'd say Peanut M & M's but I suppose that makes me old-school. Or maybe they're just too good to be called junk food?

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I'd say Peanut M & M's but I suppose that makes me old-school. Or maybe they're just too good to be called junk food?
    My favorite too. 3 essential food groups in one. No mess. Perfection.
    I'm older than dirt.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    Good & Plenty. Doesn't melt and fits well in a bear can. And it makes (older) people chant the Good & Plenty Train commercial (Choo, Choo!) and seems to give us an emotional pick me to make like the Little Engine that Could and motor up a hill.

I thought that I would want all kinds of chocolate, but something about it makes me gag on trail. Although I eat it just fine at home.
    If you ever do a thru hike please contact me. I could probably hook you up with more good and plenty than you would care to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    If you ever do a thru hike please contact me. I could probably hook you up with more good and plenty than you would care to eat.
    LOL!!! That is so sweet of you! And... WOOOO HOOOOO!!! I have my first thru hike sponsor!!! Who knew it was this easy?!?!

I'm thinking the sensible thing is to use the larger Garcia Bear can for healthy food (Yooo hooo... Barilla Pasta Plus... You reading this? Want to sponsor me?). I'll send you the smaller Weekend Can and you can just fill it with Good & Plenty, okay? No boxes or wrappers, please. Just loose candy, please.

Fortunately for you, I don't think I'll ever walk fast enough or enough hours a day to do the PCT or AT. My sister is retiring next year and wants (us) to do the JMT to celebrate. I've read on this site that the JMT is the beginning of "fringe" hiking and the start of becoming a long distance hiking societal oddball. And the Trail Show said that the JMT is the gateway drug of thru hikes. Next thing ya know... I'll be standing on the Mexico border with a bear can filled with little pink and white candies.

PS... thanks for my best laugh of the day!!!
    Last edited by DLP; 07-02-2014 at 22:51.

Journal Entries
    Images

Uhh OK... shuffles feet - looks down.. "Jello" & Yogurt Raisins... Serious the Owl is not worthy... so disappointing....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    LOL!!! That is so sweet of you! And... WOOOO HOOOOO!!! I have my first thru hike sponsor!!! Who knew it was this easy?!?!

I'm thinking the sensible thing is to use the larger Garcia Bear can for healthy food (Yooo hooo... Barilla Pasta Plus... You reading this? Want to sponsor me?). I'll send you the smaller Weekend Can and you can just fill it with Good & Plenty, okay? No boxes or wrappers, please. Just loose candy, please.

Fortunately for you, I don't think I'll ever walk fast enough or enough hours a day to do the PCT or AT. My sister is retiring next year and wants (us) to do the JMT to celebrate. I've read on this site that the JMT is the beginning of "fringe" hiking and the start of becoming a long distance hiking societal oddball. And the Trail Show said that the JMT is the gateway drug of thru hikes. Next thing ya know... I'll be standing on the Mexico border with a bear can filled with little pink and white candies.

PS... thanks for my best laugh of the day!!!
    Hey, you do what you want, but according to the trail show, you know what the number one reason for a hiker to leave the trail is....wait for it

...Ran outta trail, o' something like that

Journal Entries
    Images

I know where the Little Debbie delivery guy parks the truck at night. The back door is padlocked so I'm going to have to steal the whole truck. The cops will find me by following the Little Debbie wrappers on the road.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    I live on the east coast (in an undisclosed location). I'm planning on a early or mid March start from Springer. Just 20 months to go. It will be here before you know it.
    I'm also looking at 2016. Sometime in March, depending on weather . I'll be on the Snickers plan.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++