WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Zpacks Hexamid Duplex Tent vs. ?

hello all,

Planing on hiking the GA section of the AT for two weeks during September 14' and the Inca Trail during December 14'. I have been using an MSR Nook for the past few years and I'm looking for something lighter.

After much searching on WB and random googling, I narrowed my choices down to zPacks Hexamin Duplex, TT Double Rainbow, and the still not available SM Cuben Fiber Heaven.

The TT DR is 2.5#, doesn't seem like a great investment to only shave off 13oz.
    The zPacks Hexamin Duplex is 20oz total and that seems worth it.

Requirements: bathtub floor, netting for bugs, awesome if its freestanding.

What other options do I have, some other cottage industry company that I am missing?

Thanks,
    Larry

both the duplex and TT are good tents. You wont find a free standing tent as light as either one of them. I am partial to z pack

I found this. Makes me scratch my head and wonder.

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/thr...ter-tent.3012/

Do you need a two person tent? Have you considered the TT StratoSpire 2?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I found this. Makes me scratch my head and wonder.

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/thr...ter-tent.3012/

Do you need a two person tent? Have you considered the TT StratoSpire 2?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

I read that that post and viewed the video. Not to worried about the sand creeping in, simple tent placement changes can mitigate that. The netting ripping on the corners does concern me, but zPacks CS seemed to fix that right up. Plus some extra DIY can solve does issues possibly.

The Strato is a huge tent, awesome for space but heavier then double rainbow which is at max goal weight already.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Anyone else with pro-tips please share before I regret this purchase.

Images

zpacks all the way...Cuben all the way. Sil isn't as UV resistant, they wet-thru, require seam-sealing, pack up larger and heavier especially when wet. Downside it costs mo' money, and the durability is a bit lower on some of the thinner fabrics aka .5oz and under but i still like it and prefer this (it packs down 20% smaller than .7oz CF)... .7oz CF will easily last more than a couple seasons and seems comparable to 1.2oz sil. Most CF companies will use heavier if requested, but unless you're a goofball or goin to alaska the small and light .5oz fabric is adequate, and impressive material. GL
    See ya when I get there.

Are you hiking with a buddy? If not, why do you want a 2 person tent? If you just want extra space, consider the Hexamid Solo Plus. With cuben most of the cost comes from the fabric use, so the Solo Plus is around $100 cheaper than the Duplex. And the Solo Plus has room for one more if you are really good friends So if you want a 2 person just in case a friend wants to join you for a night or two, or emergencies, I think you could get away with a 1+ size tent. Also I believe the one pole setup is really simple and easy - the others require two (I have the Hexamid Solo)

Images

solo plus +1. hmmm, I would'nt attempt to fit anyone in there with me unless they were under 5ft tall and under 100lbs....
    See ya when I get there.

Thanks again all.

I should have have made the OP clear, I camp with my girlfriend. These two upcoming trips on the AT and Macchu Picchu are with her.

We are both thin, 5'9" 160# & 120#

I also found the ECHO II Ultralight Shelter System, looks great made of cuben but the thing is 2 pounds! All roads seem to be hiding back to zPacks. Are they really the only player?

look at Mountain Laurel Designs --they are good with cuban fiber they heave been working with it since I know 15 -18 years .they have several styles you may like .I have owned their tarp make out of cuban ( 5 OZ) for 7 years and going strong !

"After much searching on WB and random googling, I narrowed my choices down to zPacks Hexamin Duplex, TT Double Rainbow, and the still not available SM Cuben Fiber Heaven."
    Please share the priorities you used in narrowing it down to those choices. Is saving wt your highest priority? Over such things as price, durability, etc? What are willing to compromise on to achieve a very UL/SUL 2 person shelter? Do you feel you are ready to make not only a jump to CF but a rather very light wt .5 CF shelter? Can you appreciate the potential benefits of CF8 compared to CF5 for example based on someone transitioning to a lighter wt kit? Do you understand the design mentality and goals of a cutting edge UL gear company like Zpacks? Do you use trekking poles? How advanced of an Uler/ SUler are you? What is your intended goal? Is it just going to a lighter wt shelter? SPECIFICALLY, what is your wt goal of a new 2 person shelter. What is the ultimate wt goal of you kit? These considerations are important to fully grasp both for you and us.

Images

SMD Heaven? Did you mean SMD Haven Cuben Fiber Tarp Tent, if so it is available for shipping... if you can afford cuben fiber I would go that route. If you are ever down St Simons Island way, Pm me and I'll let you check out the Double Rainbow firsthand...
    Ironically enough, God's last name isn't Damn....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LOMartin View Post

After much searching on WB and random googling, I narrowed my choices down to zPacks Hexamin Duplex, TT Double Rainbow, and the still not available SM Cuben Fiber Heaven.
    Requirements: bathtub floor, netting for bugs, awesome if its freestandig
    Note.... the SMD Haven Cuben Fiber 2 person tent is sold separately from bathtub flooring and screening. An additional $150 option which brings weight total to 24 oz w/o stakes
    Ironically enough, God's last name isn't Damn....

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    "After much searching on WB and random googling, I narrowed my choices down to zPacks Hexamin Duplex, TT Double Rainbow, and the still not available SM Cuben Fiber Heaven."

Please share the priorities you used in narrowing it down to those choices. Is saving wt your highest priority?
    -weight, high bathtub flooring, bug protection, space for two

Over such things as price, durability, etc?
    -Price does not matter, durability of CF is unknown to me.

What are willing to compromise on to achieve a very UL/SUL 2 person shelter?
    -The only compromise I see is a higher level of condensation, sound, and greater care that must be taken when dealing with CF.

Do you feel you are ready to make not only a jump to CF but a rather very light wt .5 CF shelter?
    -Again the properties of the material for my use are unknown to me at the moment.

Can you appreciate the potential benefits of CF8 compared to CF5 for example based on someone transitioning to a lighter wt kit?
    -Yes, I understand the strength difference but not what it translates into in practice.

Do you understand the design mentality and goals of a cutting edge UL gear company like Zpacks?
    -No. Please share.

Do you use trekking poles?
    -yes, REI CF for male and female

How advanced of an Uler/ SUler are you?
    -Let me know if I am on the level, I am not educated on what makes one a UL or SUL.
    -I go UL when possible, but I bring some things along which break the rules.
    -REI Flash 62: 2 lbs 14 oz
    -Stoic Ti cup/spoon, MSR PR, 100g iso, fire: 13.9 oz
    -First aid, Hygiene for two: 5 oz
    -Petzel: 2.7 oz
    -Compass: 1 oz
    -Extra shirt, underwear, socks, rain: 15.7 oz
    -ACR AquaLink: 9 oz
    -Pad Neoair: 11 oz
    -Bag 20* REI: 1 lbs 15 oz
    -camp shoes: 6.5 oz
    -Crye Nightcap with PVS-14: 1 lbs 10 oz
    -Platypus 2L Hoser: 3.5 oz (4pounds full)
    -Trekking poles: 15 oz
    -map: 1 oz
    -MSR filter: 11 oz pumping for 3 people this trip so I’m bring the big guy.
    Total: 11.8’ish lbs (shelter is missing from this)
    -Food for upcoming 6 day trip: 7lbs

What is your intended goal? Simplify where I can to offset luxury items.
    Is it just going to a lighter wt shelter?
    -Yes and no. I am cutting back as much as possible while still staying very comfortable.

SPECIFICALLY, what is your wt goal of a new 2 person shelter. What is the ultimate wt goal of you kit?
    -Shelter goal: less than two pounds with everything needed included minus trekking poles.
    -Kit: less than 13’ish lbs dry

These considerations are important to fully grasp both for you and us.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to write out all these questions. It was very helpful to sit and consider them all. Answers shown above in RED.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippLite View Post
    Note.... the SMD Haven Cuben Fiber 2 person tent is sold separately from bathtub flooring and screening. An additional $150 option which brings weight total to 24 oz w/o stakes
    Thanks TL, I completely missed the cuben tarp the sight. I also just noticed how small the tub walls are on this tent. I hate rain in the face.
    Thank you very for the offer to checkout the DR. We are practically neighbors.

Have you looked at John Abela's spread sheet listing sub 900 gm 2 person shelters?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...URm5vLXc#gid=0

Although I will not entirely go down that road defining all that can be labeled as UL, SUL, and XUL(it gets kind of silly to me because all those categories are not simply about gear anyway! it's more encompassing than just gear!), 900 gram(31.75 oz) or sub 2 lb 2 person shelters is getting into a SUL shelter. Although definitions are up to some subjective interpretations Zpacks not only has been redefining UL but IMHO delves into current SUL territory. Please understand this. I have a 3 season Big 4 sub 4 lb kit. I have a closet of Zpacks gear. IMHO, Joe is top notch as far as what he's doing but YOU have to know if his lightest offerings are right for you though and when you say things like this:

Do you feel you are ready to make not only a jump to CF but a rather very light wt .5 CF shelter?
    "-Again the properties of the material for my use are unknown to me at the moment."

Can you appreciate the potential benefits of CF8 compared to CF5 for example based on someone transitioning to a lighter wt kit?
    "-Yes, I understand the strength difference but not what it translates into in practice."

particularly when you said that after Soul Rebel said "the durability is a bit lower on some of the thinner fabrics aka .5oz... .7oz CF will easily last more than a couple seasons and seems comparable to 1.2oz sil. Most CF companies will use heavier if requested..." it makes me question some ideas you may have. It makes me question if you are wt obsessed while being blindsided to other factors, factors that if you did consider might result in a better overall balance in the gear you choose that will currently be best for you.

Why is that you think that Six Moon Designs is using CT2K.08 in their Skyscape X, http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/ssX.html, Mountain Laurel Designs is using .75 CF http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=105, Hyperlight Mountain Gear is using CF 8 http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com...-2-person.html, YAMA Gear is using .8 CF http://www.yamamountaingear.com/cirriform-sw-2p/, etc? Do you think they do not know that .51 or .34 CF is available? Do you know why they don't currently mass produce shelters with this wt CF? Do you think IT MAY be because all those UL gear cottage manufacturers find that this level wt of CF makes the most BALANCED sense for the most amount of users? Think about it.

So when I ask, "Do you understand the design mentality and goals of a cutting edge UL gear company like Zpacks?" and I get this "-No. Please share.".....

Again, I really like what Zpacks is doing!

Dogwood,

"No. Please share"
    honest response to hear what someone in the community with far more knowledge of the product as yourself have to say.

What I gather from your response is that zpack is at the apex of pushing the limits gear. Yes the tents may not last for years and may rip because people are tough on gear.
    I take it a reason other companies do not use .3 or .5 is because it's a praticle balance; and to not have to deal with compliants and returns from those expecting more of the fabric.

-Surprise to me, the girlfriend just placed a large order with zpack. So, I will be seeing the duplex in person in a couple of months along with other great gear.

Thank you again for the amount of time you're investing into these responses.
    I look forward to hearing more.

off to look over the confirmation email.

You may also want to note that the TT Double Rainbow can be pitched freestanding using trekking poles, if that is important to you.

I think you largely grasped what I was attempting to relay." -Surprise to me, the girlfriend just placed a large order with zpack. So, I will be seeing the duplex in person in a couple of months along with other great gear." Hope she used her credit card. LOL Enjoy! You'll work it out. Just remember, if the GF isn't happy likely it will make it harder for you to be happy in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by LOMartin View Post
    I really appreciate you taking the time to write out all these questions. It was very helpful to sit and consider them all. Answers shown above in RED.
    DW's good like that.

Brutally honest, I too appreciate that, otherwise what's the point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++