WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hammocks/high winds/and lightening bolts

So over the years I've been toying with the idea of leaving the tent and getting a hammock, and while I'm just not there yet, each time I think about it, I can't seem to get around being tied to a tree during high winds and lightening bolts. I've never heard anyone mention this before, thus the thread. I'd like to hear anyone's and everyone's thoughts on this, as it goes against everything I ever learned about staying safe during a storm and not hanging (literally) around trees.

Images

I can not offer much as I have not yet hammocked in a storm, but here is one of my favorite videos from Shug...

igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I can not offer much as I have not yet hammocked in a storm, but here is one of my favorite videos from Shug...

I love that video, and the Shug he's a bit nuttso, like me...but man, that would un-nerve me to the bone...not that I wouldn't do it. But I know I wouldn't get much sleep. Crazy ain't it.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I have weathered a several big thunderstorms in my hammock. Was always nervous when they started but calmed enough to go to sleep. I was always with ground dwellers and realized if lightning struck or a tree fell they would get it too so I felt I was in no more danger than I would be if I were in a tent. In two cases I was better off than my tenting friends. I remained dry while they did not.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    I have weathered a several big thunderstorms in my hammock. Was always nervous when they started but calmed enough to go to sleep. I was always with ground dwellers and realized if lightning struck or a tree fell they would get it too so I felt I was in no more danger than I would be if I were in a tent. In two cases I was better off than my tenting friends. I remained dry while they did not.
    yep, I've pitched my tent in and among trees, I always look up to check for dead branches...when I remember to, and would mind the gentle swaying of a wind blown tree to be rocked asleep, But when things get rockin and rollin with trees crashing into each other, do you hammock hangers head for the hills, or just ride it out?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    yep, I've pitched my tent in and among trees, I always look up to check for dead branches...when I remember to, and would mind the gentle swaying of a wind blown tree to be rocked asleep, But when things get rockin and rollin with trees crashing into each other, do you hammock hangers head for the hills, or just ride it out?
    I guess it depends on each situation. I have done both. I have just up and moved to a more secure feeling spot a couple of times but before the real bad weather hit. Most of the time I have just gone to sleep and rode it out. Myself and two other hammock hangers recently on the Foothills Trail rode one out complete with hail. I slept fine until almost dawn when a large tree on the hill above us came crashing down. If I had been tent camping there would have been nothing that I could have done and nowhere I could have gone to get out of the storm.

I guess it depends on each situation. I have done both. I have just up and moved to a more secure feeling spot a couple of times but before the real bad weather hit. Most of the time I have just gone to sleep and rode it out. Myself and two other hammock hangers recently on the Foothills Trail rode one out complete with hail. I slept fine until almost dawn when a large tree on the hill above us came crashing down. If I had been tent camping there would have been nothing that I could have done and nowhere I could have gone to get out of the storm.
    I'll likely pick one up one day, and just do like I do with my other gear, pick and choose what to bring given the conditions I expect....bad weather, tent...good weather, hammock.

I recently spent a night in a hammock during a strong but brief t-storm. I did give some thoughts to lightning strikes but I don't think the guys in the tents 20 feet away were any better off.

I had pitched my DIY hex tarp fairly low to the ground. The wind was so strong the rain was blowing nearly all the way under the tarp and out the other side. I was fortunate that my pitch was perpendicular to the wind otherwise I could have been very wet and cranky (no doors on my tarp). Fortunately the hammock was pitched high enough that the underquilt stayed dry.

My tenting companions stayed dry thanks to bathtub floors. There was a little water running under one tent for a bit. Condensation in the morning was the real kicker as we woke up in a cloud. The open-ness of the tarp setup really excelled here and I had no issues with condensation on the interior of the tarp. The down quilts seemed quite dry too (DWR fabric and water-resistant down). I was particularly pleased with the tarp considering I had seam sealed it but never actually tested it in the rain before.

Images

Interesting thread..
    I've been eyeing the hammocks of late myself. I had the opportunity to test a friends Warbonnet with a Superfly tarp a few weeks ago. My thoughts are.... I'm sold and will purchase one as soon as I save up enough cash to make the purchase.. Gonna be pricey to complete the package with over and under quilts...

On thread topic, being struck by lightning while hammocking, it has happened.... the article does not mention if the man's proximity to water or if tree selection played a part in this mans unfortunate death. Since lighting is usually attracted to isolated or taller objects within one's surroundings, I would suspect when hanging, selecting trees of same height would be one of the rules in Hammocking 101 for this purpose.. as for water, need I say more. Being struck by lightning while hannocking does appear to be extremely rare.
    On another note, I have a lot to learn about hammocking, soon enough I hope.
    The thought of being swung to sleep by swaying trees does have a cozy appeal..
    Ironically enough, God's last name isn't Damn....

Images

I have been in two extremely bad thunderstorms in my hammock. I'm talking the "ok, I'm going to die tonight" variety. Lots of lightening, and winds prob 70mph+. There is no escape from a storm like that when you are deep in the mountains, miles and miles from a road. I survived just fine, and mostly dry. I doubt if there are many tents that could have performed as well as my hammock/tarp did.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Only once I completely and utterly thought I was toast. 4.pngatomic.gifWalking across a sod farm I was the tallest thing for almost a mile, and a storm came through, lightening bolts hit in front of me and behind me maybe 1/4 mile away...scardest I've ever been in my life...I love storms, can't get enough! from afar.

Images

You can be struck by lightning walking across a parking lot ( I have seen it happen ), a tree could fall on you, you could die of a heart attack while hiking, you could be murdered while on the trail. All are things that could, can and have happen. If one worries about every possible thing that could kill you while out in the woods you might as well stay home and die in bed.

I have spend several nights in my hammock during lightning storms and I am still here.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    You can be struck by lightning walking across a parking lot ( I have seen it happen ), a tree could fall on you, you could die of a heart attack while hiking, you could be murdered while on the trail. All are things that could, can and have happen. If one worries about every possible thing that could kill you while out in the woods you might as well stay home and die in bed.

I have spend several nights in my hammock during lightning storms and I am still here.
    I would love to be home in bed when the bells ring and hammer comes down.

if I could just schedule it so.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I would love to be home in bed when the bells ring and hammer comes down.
    Well you could avoid taking any risks in life and you might just live to a ripe old age but lying there on your death bed you might just realize that you were dead along time ago… paraphrased from Colin Fletcher, The Complete Walker.

Well you could avoid taking any risks in life and you might just live to a ripe old age but lying there on your death bed you might just realize that you were dead along time ago… paraphrased from Colin Fletcher, The Complete Walker.
    ...................Aye

ChiefDuffy, which tarp setup did you use? We rode out a vicious storm last night at Grayson (thankfully in the shelter) and I'm sure my tarp setup would have been ripped to shreds. What works best for string winds?
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Journal Entries
    Images

well that's a good post... I have not heard that explanation before... but I buy into it... I need a dash of hope... as a hanger.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

In two cases I was better off than my tenting friends. I remained dry while they did not.
    What was it that allowed you to stay dry, or more over (as I'm a ground clown) what was it that got them wet...other than the water.

Journal Entries
    Images

That's easy take a peek at the tent bucket ( rubber Pu ) on a old Andre Jamlet vs the stuff they make today... MY first tent survived hurricanes. Yea thats 2x!

$_35.JPG
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++