WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Paint for Nylon Fabric

I'm looking for spray paint that I can be used to paint a sleeping bag and a nylon ground sheet that will not peel or reduce breathability. Any suggestions?

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

No such animal...any fabric paint is going to fill in the opening of the weave and remove ALL breathablilty. Have you considered a dye instead?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I was going to suggest dye also.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

can I dye a sleeping bag?

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

If you're asleep when you're in it, does it matter what color it is?
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Last year there was a thread a person started asking about painting on nylon for rain covers, I've looked for this thread for a while now over the last year as I have an interest in this as well, but can't seem to find it...perhaps someone will remember it???

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tron-Life View Post
    can I dye a sleeping bag?
    You can dye anything, but the result may not be what you want.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    You can dye anything, but the result may not be what you want.
    Dying could be fatal, or even worse, to the insulation. What color is the bag? What color bag would you like? What color dye do you want use?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

My sleeping quilt is gatorade green on the outside and silver on the inside and the groundsheet is firetruck red. I want them a darker less visible color (olive drab, brown, or whatever) to facilitate discrete camping.

"
    Dying could be fatal, or even worse, to the insulation."
    Those were my thoughts too.

Unfortunately, I can't afford another $300 bag right now so painting seemed like a decent option.

My wife suggested that I try dark brown spray-on hair dye but I'm skeptical on that one. Any thoughts? Perhaps it could work if I put it on very very thin a bit at a time to not over-saturate the nylon and then the down.

Images

It would be a disaster to attempt to overdye a sleeping bag with something like hair dye. It is best to simply use a fabric dye appropriate for the bag material. Just keep in mind there are a number of synthetic materials that will not take well to overdying, though nylon should take to dyes like natural protein fibers.

Rit has a simple guide -- https://www.ritstudio.com/techniques...essful-dyeing/

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/nylon.shtml

On the other hand there is little art work I've wanted to do on my tarp so what sort of paint will work best with silnylon?
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Unfortunately, I can't afford another $300 bag right now

Can you not try to sell your stuff to be able to afford what you want?

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Images

I wouldn't try dyeing a $300 sleeping bag; you'll probably mess up the insulation especially down.
    Why not make or buy a very light weight cover for it. You probably want a breathable fabric like 1.1 oz uncoated ripstop nylon.
    http://diygearsupply.com/product/1-1...op-nylon-2nds/ This stuff is $2.85 per linear yard (66" wideX 36" ). 2.5 yards of this would give you a piece of fabric 66" wide by 90" long; just drape it over your bag. If you shop around a little you can find camouflage fabric.

Journal Entries
    Images

Here's a thought: buy 3 yards of a very cheap, breathable fabric and make and make a simple sack to slip you and your vibrant bag in. It may add some weight, but if it's lightweight enough, not much.

Oops....I should have read Snowleopard's post first....WHAT HE SAID!

Except I might consider poly mesh like the water bottle holders on a pack, or better still the mosquito netting you'd get for a hammock or tarp. A light cover, camouflages well an can serve a dual purpose.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 07-18-2014 at 15:44.

Somewhat on subject and somewhat off.

I have a half a dozen or more bike paniers and handlebar bags and rear trunks made of Cordova type materials.

All are sun faded from black to almost grey (except the newer ones that I always swear I won't leave out in the weather, but I will).

Plus a half dozen or more pack pockets and other various pack and belt add-on.

Any good way to get them black again.

Sometimes I don't want my gear to look like I live in it (sometimes I do, it deters thief).

Spray? Dye?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Somewhat on subject and somewhat off.

I have a half a dozen or more bike paniers and handlebar bags and rear trunks made of Cordova type materials.

All are sun faded from black to almost grey (except the newer ones that I always swear I won't leave out in the weather, but I will).

Plus a half dozen or more pack pockets and other various pack and belt add-on.

Any good way to get them black again.

Sometimes I don't want my gear to look like I live in it (sometimes I do, it deters thief).

Spray? Dye?
    o'coarse try it on a small spot first, but I'm wondering if some kinda lemmon oil or sealer would shine em up, a wet look often brings about a luster look or sheen.

Images

people paint their nylon kites and it holds up, but i don't know about a bag. what color is your tarp or tent ???
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    o'coarse try it on a small spot first, but I'm wondering if some kinda lemmon oil or sealer would shine em up, a wet look often brings about a luster look or sheen.
    Maybe even a wax based dusting compound, some of them have enamel or Urathanes in them, think fine furniture or wood working...spar varnish may be another, if it doesn't attack the nylon.

Journal Entries
    Images

oils break down plastics and petroleum based fibers.....not a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    oils break down plastics and petroleum based fibers.....not a good idea
    ah yes, ya know, and I knew that to...i'm slippin'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++