WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Somewhat on subject and somewhat off.

I have a half a dozen or more bike paniers and handlebar bags and rear trunks made of Cordova type materials.

All are sun faded from black to almost grey (except the newer ones that I always swear I won't leave out in the weather, but I will).

Plus a half dozen or more pack pockets and other various pack and belt add-on.

Any good way to get them black again.

Sometimes I don't want my gear to look like I live in it (sometimes I do, it deters thief).

Spray? Dye?
    If they are nylon, why not just attempt an overdye with a black dye?
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    If they are nylon, why not just attempt an overdye with a black dye?
    Do you mean as in a bath like you do cloth in a Ritz type solution?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Do you mean as in a bath like you do cloth in a Ritz type solution?
    Yup, that is what I mean. You can hit up Walmart for an inexpensive large pot to do it in too.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tron-Life View Post
    My sleeping quilt is gatorade green on the outside and silver on the inside and the groundsheet is firetruck red. I want them a darker less visible color (olive drab, brown, or whatever) to facilitate discrete camping.

"
    Dying could be fatal, or even worse, to the insulation."
    Those were my thoughts too.

Unfortunately, I can't afford another $300 bag right now so painting seemed like a decent option.
    Are you familiar with the color wheel? GOOGLE can find good visual examples. There isn't much you can do to change colors. Dying works with white.
    Why did you buy colors you now deem to be annoying? Down insulated items should have a black interior to aid drying.
    I can't talk too much about colors. I have more blue items than I should. Who declared blue the official color for backpackers? I would love a new WM Ultralite or Vistalite bag, but one is blue and the other is baby doo green.
    Therefore, I am also looking at FF bags in Tangerine and Titanium.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Are you familiar with the color wheel? GOOGLE can find good visual examples. There isn't much you can do to change colors. Dying works with white.
    Why did you buy colors you now deem to be annoying? Down insulated items should have a black interior to aid drying.
    I can't talk too much about colors. I have more blue items than I should. Who declared blue the official color for backpackers? I would love a new WM Ultralite or Vistalite bag, but one is blue and the other is baby doo green.
    Therefore, I am also looking at FF bags in Tangerine and Titanium.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Not sure why you feel the need to be so condescending, and I don't quite get the whole color wheel thing, but when I buy a sleeping bag or quilt I buy for functionality and not for color. Functionally, my bag is fine for normal trail use but recently I have become more interested in camping discreetly without a shelter for quick take down in areas that camping is not usually permitted and my bright green quilt kinda gives it away. Until I can buy a custom quilt with the appropriate colors, I need to use what I have and I was curious if they made a spray paint that is permeable to moisture, but logically most would want to be the opposite. Not a big deal, I can use a bivy to cover my bag but then I have to deal with the condensation. The real issue with a bright bag is someone seeing it from afar when your setting up.

In the future, if you feel a topic is silly or whatever, please feel free not to comment if you have nothing helpful to say; actually I would prefer if you didn't.

Images

i don't think we realized that this was for " in areas that camping is not usually permitted" (illegal camping)
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i don't think we realized that this was for " in areas that camping is not usually permitted" (illegal camping)
    I never said that

Plausible deniability!

I can't even spell "condescending". That was not my aim.
    Sell the offending quilt. Buy what you need.
    Cheers.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

get a wide tip sharpie magic maker or two in the color(s) you want and get busy.

Images

if your good you could draw a basic cammo pattern

Apply dye with a spray bottle such as a windex bottle in light coats in the sun to prevent saturation of the inner material. The trick is to use light coats and lots of them. Use a brown dye and you will get a muddy look that gets darker after each application. If you want a camo appearance begin your pattern of application on the first coat. The pattern becomes more and more visible as you apply the coats. Some areas may have two or three coats while other areas get five of six coats. Don't expect a store bought kind of camo, but rather a basic scheme that breaks up the solid shape into some curved lines. Also remember that because you are not soaking the material for a long duration, you will need more dye than if you just soak the items in a bucket or tub.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++