WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for sharing Teacher, what were the results of the tests? Hope all is well.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    I got a trail building job for the summer, which has been awesome, but I found three deer ticks on me last week, and eight tonight. Yes. Eight. I'm now convinced there are some I've missed. I think I'm just gonna run a course of antibiotics at the end of the summer regardless. I dislike the idea of overusing antibiotics, but I dislike the thought of Lyme even more.
    my doctor suggested I carry Doxycycline as a prophylactic when I find a tick attached. New research shows that just ONE capsule can serve as a preventative: http://equineink.com/2009/05/18/sing...-prevent-lyme/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lemko View Post
    my doctor suggested I carry Doxycycline as a prophylactic when I find a tick attached. New research shows that just ONE capsule can serve as a preventative: http://equineink.com/2009/05/18/sing...-prevent-lyme/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That study appears to be from 2001...I be curious if there's a newer one on the very subject.

and to white blaze.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Thanks for sharing Teacher, what were the results of the tests? Hope all is well.
    Thanks for asking, Double D. The test result came in this morning....negative for Lyme. It turns out my sed rates (sediment in the blood) were soaring though. Good old-fashioned lupus flare with a 102.7* fever twist. Corrected the meds and I'm good to go.

I still don't know what a deer tick looks like up-close and personal....but then I suppose that's a good thing.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Thanks for asking, Double D. The test result came in this morning....negative for Lyme. It turns out my sed rates (sediment in the blood) were soaring though. Good old-fashioned lupus flare with a 102.7* fever twist. Corrected the meds and I'm good to go.

I still don't know what a deer tick looks like up-close and personal....but then I suppose that's a good thing.
    oh glad to hear it...and we'll see plenty of ticks on the Batona trail, more than any one person should ever see in 30 minutes...crazy amounts....can you permethrin. Hope there not the "black footed" variety, but that's not likely to happen, they're there.

Journal Entries
    Images

I can use permethrin and DEET....at least neither has bothered me yet.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I can use permethrin and DEET....at least neither has bothered me yet.
    Sounds good, I need to do an application this Fall of my shtuff.

Images

Click on this link; note that the scale on the left is 1/4" (0.25 inch). These things are tiny and can be hard to see unless they are engorged. Google engorged deer tick for the really gross images.
    Deer_tick_Ixodes_scapularis.jpg

ticknymph.jpg
    Deer tick nymph.
    Because they are so hard to spot, infected nymphs cause the vast majority of Lyme disease cases in humans. In fact, a significant number of patients diagnosed with Lyme never saw the tick that bit them in the first place.
    http://equipped.outdoors.org/2012/06...ites-peak.html

Most of the ticks I've found on my self (of the nymph type) were because I could feel it crawling on me. last year I felt one on my lower leg, and tried to rub it off, it didn't move so I thought it was just a freckle, a little time went by and I could feel something again, so again I tried to scratch at it....nothing. Then I waited and watched, sure enough it started to move, then I knew it was a tick...pesky little critters they are.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Please do some research and learn about Lyme.

Only 10% of people who have Lyme know it. Many are misdiagnosed, here's a list:
    http://canlyme.com/just-diagnosed/te...-misdiagnoses/

And you'll find Lupus on that list.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries
    Images

When I first started showing symptoms of Lupus, the first thing the doc did was treat me for Lyme....just in case. It took over ten years to get the final diagnosis....and a lot of treatment for all sorts of weird stuff in that time. It's funny....Lyme can be the real culprit for supposed Lupus, and Lupus is very often the culprit for myriad other diagnoses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++