WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

Default Trail Runner reccomendation

I am not posting much these days, but REI send me a 25% online coupon and I want to buy a great set of trail runners and I need some help. First, I have large bunion on my left foot and it as been recommended that I try Trail runners. I did buy a close-out of an OBoz brand a couple of years ago and although comfortable to my upper feet they did not provide enough cushion while walking on rocky trails. I weigh about 200 lbs. and I also wear size 14 shoes. Thanks for any advice on this.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

If you're looking for cushion see if REI sells New Balance Leadville 1210s.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Hard to go wrong with the Brooks Cascadia. I have the NB leadville 1210's and I love them as well.

Images

Footwear is such a personal, individual matter that it's near impossible to give someone else unequivocal advice. I use New Balance trail runners/cross training shoes/whatever they're called, because my foot is not long and narrow like most shoes seem designed for. My feet are relatively short, wide, and high. So much so that sometimes shoelaces that come with shoes are almost too short to tie.

BTW, one thing I learned that helped with my high instep and pain on top of my feet, is to skip a hole or two when lacing and relieve some pressure. Also gives me enough shoe lace to tie.

No matter the footwear, the factory insoles suck. I immediately put in Super Feet.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Freedom,

I (after a couple of unsuccessful attempts!) completed a thru hike last year, 2013. I did a "Flip-Flop", mostly to try and avoid the worst of the heat. Not sure it worked, as I had 90-degree plus days in 100 Mile Wilderness in early July....but at least there were plenty if rivers to plunge into.

I mention the river plunging because it goes to the point about using trail runners for long distance, AT, hiking. In 2006 and 2009 I did about 500 miles each summer and wore Garmount (Garmont?) non-leather boots. They were heavy, and took a long time to dry...in fact, they basically were wet or at least damp most of the time on both hikes. They did, however, protect my feet extremely well from the rocks and roots. Really well. Eventually, though, I opted for Saloman Crossfits (sort of medium weight trail runners) for my thru.

No question the sole protection was not as good as the Garmont's, but there was enough, for me, and I loved how fast they dried. I went through 3 pair, so not cheap, but I never took them or my clothes off for any of those hot weather plunges, and everything dried faster than I really wanted. Lol.

I weighed 160 at start of hike, 145 at end, and carried light pack (never more than 25 pounds I would say, although didn't religiously check it). At 200 pounds, not sure if my shoe choice would work for you, but it seemed like my feet toughened up pretty fast.

Hope this was helpful.

Dr Evil

Is that coupon for REI brand items only?
    --

Hike Safe.

Try Salomon's.

Also, have you figured out what is causing the bunion? I would probably work on that first.

What Sympathetic Joy said -- the 25% off coupon is good on a single, full-priced REI branded item only. And unfortunately, they don't make REI branded trail runners.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Section Hiker

+1 Brooks Cascadia. I have bunions as well and have the Brooks Cascadia and Asics Gel Scout. I didn't like the Brooks at first but got Fits insoles for them and like them really well now. They are better on my bunions and ugly toes than the Asics.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

++ New Posts ++