WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mykneeshurt View Post
    I kept an OCD-like record of my 2013 thru, because (please, no arguments about technology on the Trail...I didn't carry a phone!) my IPod Touch, an amazing 3.2 oz invention, had a Notes app. Every night (have already admitted I am a bit OCD) I took about 3 minutes and recorded where I started, stopped, and slept. This summer (2014) it has been fun to pull it out and remember where I was one year ago. I am surprised at how many hostels and cheap motels I stayed at. While planning, I was all "in the woods" mode, but have to admit I took advantage, more than I suspected I would, to catch a shower/bed/meal. I am retired, and had saved for years for the trip...if money was more an issue, I like to think I could have sucked it up and stayed more in my very comfortable tent. (I did turn 60 on the hike, not an excuse, but am sure that accounted for taking advantage of creature comforts as much as I did).

My knees hurt too you make a good point. Needing some perhaps recuperative time for joints to rest as we get older seems more and more important to me.

Map Man- What would be interesting also (and maybe you did already and I just missed it) is if the study showed the ages of those that laid up longer to differentiate...I'd be curious anyway.

Mykneeshurt-I love my ipod too, neat little invention indeed, and the memo feature I use everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I just looked at the stats page on my 2011 TJ. It shows I took 16 zeros but 8 of those were for an injury. I'm wondering if that is the reason for the higher than anticipated average number of zeros, especially for the older hikers.
    Wow, you were reading my mind...or maybe I was reading yours, either pretty spooky.

In 2000 I only slept in two shelters , one in SNP, the ridge runner made us fill the shelter up before he allowed tents, and Peru peak in VT, the only wooden tent platform was under water. There were not as many hostels in 2000 as there is now, Some future hostels were started by 2000 alumni. I can only remember staying at the Place in VA and even then i tented outside . I was a hotel motel guy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Hikers that write that they are going into the "Wilderness" to find themselves should study what you are saying.
    LOL. The AT "wilderness" is never more than an hour from Walmart! And I love it for being what it is.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries
    Images

Most of my nights in 78 were either cowboy or in a tent. Zero Hotels. More than one non official shelter.

Images

A few years ago, at the request of a friend, I totted up the indoor vs. outdoor nights during my 2006 SOBO. It was just about even--half in a hostel, motel, or friend's house, and half in tent or shelter. In Maine and NH and much of Vermont I almost always tented. Bugs and crowds being the reason. After passing the last of the NOBOs in Vermont, shelter space was almost always readily available. From Virginia south, I frequently had the shelter to myself, or shared with one or two other hikers.

The AT is often such a wet trail--the lure of roofed structures and artificial heat to dry things out becomes very strong. It's not like California, where you can rinse out your clothing and it's dry in 30 minutes, and spread out your tent and sleeping bag to get them bone dry before you've finished your snack.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

This thread is really interesting.

I'm planning to attempt a thru next March - I hope I don't spend half my nights in doors!

When I was camping as a boy, we built fires to warm and dry ourselves (esp in winter), but I've never done it as an adult hiker.

Sadly, without regular campfires and with an early March start, I'll probably end up indoors quite a bit, just like everyone else!

So with 53 days in a hotel, a hostel, or a private home how much is spent in sleeping quarters off the trail?
    $1,500.00 or so?????

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Probably - apparently as a middle aged hiker with a career, I'm more likely to slack and stay in hotels. I mean I pay $1800 a month for health insurance for me and my family. Hotels and hostels aren't going to make a financial dent...

Even if I took all of my zero days at $200 a night in a normal business hotel - the cost would be like 4K over six months. I'm not planning to do that, but it's just not that much money.

Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post
    Even if I took all of my zero days at $200 a night in a normal business hotel - the cost would be like 4K over six months. I'm not planning to do that, but it's just not that much money.
    Are you looking to adopt any grown children?

My employees sometimes fill that role...

Images

Fun to read the hiker blogs during the prehike phase. "I want a totally wilderness experience" is a common theme, soon modified by the realities of trail life.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I've accepted that. Actually, the trail itself combined with the myriad hikers makes each experience unique. I've convinced myself that is part of the charm.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Three hikers in the study spent 15 days or fewer in motels/hostels/homes (the fewest was 10) and all three of them took less than four months to complete their hikes.
    Great job with these stats Map Man. Very interesting.

I believe I'm one of those three...I certainly felt like an outlier during my hike.
    I vividly recall raising an eyebrow when most of the people I stayed with on Blood Mtn. got a room 3 miles later at 10 AM in Neels Gap after only 3 days on the trail.

Total Number of Hiking Days 111
    Average Miles per Day 19.86
    Average Miles per Hiking Day 19.86
    Number of nights in a Shelter 85
    Number of nights in a Tent 15
    Number of nights in a Hammock 0
    Number of nights Under the Stars 0
    Number of nights in a Hotel 4
    Number of nights in a Hostel 3
    Number of nights in a House 4

Jersey Joe: that is great! The profile of your hike is what I'm looking for. Thanks for posting it.

Probably - apparently as a middle aged hiker with a career, I'm more likely to slack and stay in hotels. I mean I pay $1800 a month for health insurance for me and my family. Hotels and hostels aren't going to make a financial dent...
    Not for me either. I was just trying to broaden the use of the data for those on a tight budget. Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Since I'm hiking mid-life, after getting established, I'm planning on doing some of my own "trail angel" work as part of my hike.

Images

Jersey Joe: that is great! The profile of your hike is what I'm looking for. Thanks for posting it.
    The full profile of my hike, from trailjournals, is here: http://trailjournals.com/stats.cfm?trailname=1743

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    I believe I'm one of those three...I certainly felt like an outlier during my hike.
    You indeed were one of the three. In fact, your journal was the only journal I was able to use for the study that chronicled a hike with ZERO zero days. An outlier indeed!

(Edit: I've enjoyed all the questions about my findings. If you ask a question in the next couple weeks, though, it will be a while before I get to it. I will be hiking in the San Juan Mountains in Colorado for the next two weeks and won't be checking the internet.)
    Last edited by map man; 08-02-2014 at 08:21.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++