WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How do you Cook Fish on the Trail?

I like to eat a fish now and then, and I used to make a tiny fire and roast the fish right on the coals. But fire restrictions seem to be the norm nowadays. I'm curious how others do it.

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    I like to eat a fish now and then, and I used to make a tiny fire and roast the fish right on the coals. But fire restrictions seem to be the norm nowadays. I'm curious how others do it.
    I read stories of fishermen smearing clay from the creek bank all over the fish, then putting then on hot coals, the fish steams inside. I just use tin foil, coarse you could pan fry it also it fire restrictions were an issue. If they allowed wood burning stoves, one could take a coffee can filled half with coals while laid flat, and stuff a fish in there,maybe one way around a no open fire restriction...o'coarse only if they allowed a wood stove during a fire ban, not likely though.

Poached is my preference. Easy to clean up also.

It depends on what I'm primarily doing. If I'm hiking into remote fishing spots where the main goal is to fish and not thru-hike I'll bring along a small 5" wide frying pan and some olive oil and a bit of spices. In this situation I've smoked fish by pegging to a flat piece of wood; this is usually time consuming and I only do it when I've established a base camp. I usually go after trout and smaller species(smallmouth, crappie, bream, small largemouth etc) which usually aren't over 2 lbs. I may keep one larger fish though and cut it up into large chunks. I usually release very large fish. When I'm thru-hiking say in the Sierras, Cascades, Montana, etc where kit wt and time allowed to fish and prepare fish becomes a greater factor and fishing is a side past time I steam freshly caught fish between a layer of moss or dampened grasses over coals(not a raging fire!, you could do the same if you're carrying aluminum foil), fry on a flat thin slab of stone, roast raised/supported over a reduced fire by impaling a whole but gutted fish with a soaked stick, or sometimes chunk it up and add to soups, dinners, etc.

Pan fry with EVOO and spices

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

I have just boiled them, not ideal but with fire restrictions you don't have much choice. Actually trout is pretty good mixed in with one of those Thai instant noodle meals.

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    I have just boiled them, not ideal but with fire restrictions you don't have much choice. Actually trout is pretty good mixed in with one of those Thai instant noodle meals.
    Thai Kitchen rice noodle packets w/ added peanuts and sesame seeds into the Spring Onion version or creamed coconut/dehydrated coconut milk(coconut flakes could work too) and peanut butter added to the Garlic & Vegetable or Bangkok Curry versions WITH some folded in poached Sierras Brook Trout after the noodles are soft is yo yo yummy.

Yellowstone Lake used to have a steam vent in the lake where you could catch fish and cook it in the line. It was called Fishing Cone. But you can't do it any more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_Cone

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Poached is my preference. Easy to clean up also.
    uh OK I poach a lot of stuff. lack of smoke and imparted flavor after years of cooking - I would give this a pass.

cooking_fish.jpg
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 07-20-2014 at 21:14.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

well tried to edit.. failed, keep in mind green saplings do not burn. Choose your wood carefully.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Here's how I do it when I can have a fire

Images

I have used my Bakepacker to cook Brookies in a freezer bag. Used the Featherfire Stove. Worked out well.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Images

You can use a variation of this method using the Venom Super Stove

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

There's nothing like a fresh trout cut up and steamed over real rice and dehydrated veggies and herbs. A stove that can simmer can do this. The juices from the fish help flavor everything else.

I'm not much of a fisherman, but I'll happily clean and cook a fish that someone else catches, if they'll let me have my share!

A lot of jurisdictions will allow you to throw fish entrails back in the water, that's where dead fish wind up anyway. Otherwise, use a cathole and bury them deep!
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    uh OK I poach a lot of stuff. lack of smoke and imparted flavor after years of cooking - I would give this a pass.

cooking_fish.jpg
    salmon.jpg
    Hey WOW, got room on the smoker for this one? 1971 72 ehh it has been awhile. It was one of the smaller of the three that day. Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey if the tribe can do it so can we....thats a big one.. have you done that lately?

Woo

I have not been back home since 1973. I sure do miss it. My son had other things to do so about 12 years ago I quit buying a license. Maybe someday....

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Journal Entries
    Images

very cool!

Woo

I usually will cut them up into Fillets, Bread them with corn meal and then fry them using a pan and my Pocket Rocket stove, but if i am in an area that doesn't have any restrictions on open flames like a camp fire, then i will Fillet them, Bread them then put them in Tin Foil and place them in the hot coals, Have you ever tried smoking fish, I was up in Alaska one time and me and two of my buddies was fishing for Salmon. one of my friends built a native Smoker right their on the beach and we smoked ever one we caught which was quite alot, and it was the best tasting fish i have ever had, thought i would throw this out their, Have a great time and enjoy it.

My granny smokes craw dads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++