WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Mystery of missing Appalachian Trail hiker still vexes wardens, locals one ... - Bang

Bangor Daily News

Mystery of missing Appalachian Trail hiker still vexes wardens, locals one ...
    Bangor Daily News
    Tennessee hiker Geraldine Largay disappeared while hiking the Maine portion of the Appalachian Trail a year ago. Maine Game Wardens believe they know what might have happened to her, but locals also have their own theories. There are few parts of the ...
    Hiker threatens man with knife along Appalachian TrailFOX43.com
    Hiker accused of pulling knife on man along Appalachian Trail in Franklin CountyThe Patriot-News
    Police: Man threatens hiker with knifeChambersburg Public Opinion

all 4 news articles »

More...

I hope that one day we can figure out what happened to her and possibly find her but personally I think she stepped into an BOG it's like quick sand step into it and you'll sink for miles.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Is there any information that tells us that anyone in one of the bogs that Red-Dog mentions ever got into that situation and was barely able to escape? Or couldn't?
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

I think Red-Dog might be right. FWIW, SawnieRobertson, I met a retired headmaster of a prep school on my hike in ME. The school he presided over had orientation hikes on the AT. He related a story in which one of his charges strayed from the trail and wound up in a bog up to his neck saying that he only had one foot on anything solid.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

i believe she was abducted around oberton stream

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    While I don't share your belief, I think the nature of things is such that were the authorities to have had any similar thoughts, we would not likely hear about them.

The narrative is always that the trail is near 100% safe from evil, but memories are short. Of those who would call your judgement into question, how many will even remember the murder of 52 year old Louise Chaput who was killed while hiking alone not far from Pinkham notch in the Whites not so long ago?

Or how the authorities would only say that Scott Lilly's death was "suspicious" until forced by state law to declare it a homicide exactly 6 months after his partially buried body was found.

In this case, I think you are very wrong -- I am sure you will admit that you have absolutely zero evidence to support your wild contention -- but unfortunately the lack of candor from authorities in other tragic events means that we cannot really trust them to share their own honest assessment here or anywhere. Too bad.

my theory is more plausible than being swallowed up in a bog. remember Meredith Emerson. i hope i'm very wrong

Images

The mysterious call to the Stratton Motel from a hiker that claimed to have stayed with Inchworm at the Spaulding Mountain Lean-to asking them to tell Inchworm's husband that she would be late meeting him just makes my skin crawl. The Maine Warden service believes that Gerry never made it to the Spaulding Mountain Lean-to. I cannot come up with an explanation for this call that does not involve foul play.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    The mysterious call to the Stratton Motel from a hiker that claimed to have stayed with Inchworm at the Spaulding Mountain Lean-to asking them to tell Inchworm's husband that she would be late meeting him just makes my skin crawl. The Maine Warden service believes that Gerry never made it to the Spaulding Mountain Lean-to. I cannot come up with an explanation for this call that does not involve foul play.
    And regardless of what the public is told, it may just be part of the on going investigation that the anchorites can't talk about at this time...or can, they have their reasons and techniques, it'll all come out in the wash one day...I Hope. I'm inclined to think foul play as well.

If she stepped into a bog and died then wouldn't she eventually rise to the surface? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Me too imscotty and I know we're not alone.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    And regardless of what the public is told, it may just be part of the on going investigation that the anchorites can't talk about at this time...or can, they have their reasons and techniques, it'll all come out in the wash one day...I Hope. I'm inclined to think foul play as well.
    authority's not anchorites...ugh

Google for Bog bodies.....LOTS in Europe. Some were sacrifices, others seem to just get stuck.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

I just don't buy the bog thing at all, a pack floats, first thing that comes to mind is get your pack off, float on your back, your feet will slowly come up. The bogs are not bottomless pits. Standing stuck in the muck struggling until you sink out of site, never to rise again just is not feasible with a pack on with some water tight bags inside. Critters would tear and spread the contents of a pack over a large area by now - only thing that makes sense is a hole/cave or foul play, I would lean toward the latter. I hope and pray for the family to get closure on this. Abductees have been known to escape so there is always hope.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Lone Wolf, how can you read my mind? I wonder how many individuals knew about where she would be at that exact moment. Even if just happenstance, I think she had a swift encounter with someone who took her away from that spot. That is, if she did not walk away on her own. Walk very far away from the trail and, even if intentional, one can get confused. Being a nurse with much experience though, I think she would have had the horse sense to turn around and follow the stream bed back to where the trail is. And, yes, I recall the murder close to Pinkham Notch very well. And no, I doubt that her being in her mid-sixties, strong, 5'5", slender would have deterred a psychopath from thinking she would be of interest. And, yes, I suspect that she made the call. These dark thoughts come from what we learn daily from the media, not from the beauty we experience daily on the trail. My unfounded suspicions falter when I wonder why no one ever saw her anywhere in Maine or Canada once she was off trail. Think how many calls authorities receive about seeing missing people when the media reveals that someone has inexplicably disappeared. And some very insightful people who knew her have spoken up about the goodness and strength of her character. Yes, very puzzling.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

If she was Abducted they would have been a trace something left behind, an abductor would not be interested in her gear just her so their for they would have been something found by now, since they was no trace of gear or foul play, she either walked into an BOG or simply walked off the trail and walked away from her life and she is know some place in the world starting a new life, some people have been known to simply walk away from their lives. and no i really don't think she was abducted.

and no i really don't think she sunk in some bog in that section. have you been to that section?

and no i really don't think she sunk in some bog in that section. have you been to that section?
    YES, have you? OH i forgot your MR King **** AT.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    YES, have you? OH i forgot your MR King **** AT.
    this isn't about me and your dislike for me. tone it down. it's about a missing lady. i've been to area many times

this isn't about me and your dislike for me. tone it down. it's about a missing lady. i've been to area many times
    I don't dislike you but it seems to me that when someone has a different oppinion than your's you try to start some kind of arguement, I have my oppinion, and you have your's, everybody on WB has their oppinion about this subject, I will be the first one to say it this is very sad for me to say but we will probably never find out what actually happened to this lady too much time has passed without any evidence.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++