WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Images

Default Maine, Aug 21-29, 2014, Grafton Notch to Rangeley

Each of the last two Augusts, I've hiked on the AT in NH & ME. NH is done and ME is started, so we're going back to pick up where we left off. Last year we averaged 6 miles a day and found that about right for us.

Anyone want to join in for a day, weekend, week, etc? Let me know.

Here is our TENTATIVE schedule (though Southwest tickets have been purchased):

Tue 8/19 - fly to Boston
    Wed 8/20 - day in Boston with my daughter Grass, take evening bus to Gorham, NH, stay at White Mountains Lodge & Hostel (same as last year)
    Thu 8/21 - shuttle to Grafton Notch State Park (where we ended last August), begin hike on AT. Hike 5.8 miles to Frye Notch Lean-to
    Fri 8/22 - 4.5 miles Frye Notch LT to East B Hill Road, shuttle to a hostel in Andover
    Sat 8/23 - 6.0 miles from East B Hill Road to Hall Mountain Lean-to
    Sun 8/24 - 4.1 miles from Hall Mountain LT to South Arm Road, shuttle to a hostel in Andover
    Mon 8/25 - ZERO day in Andover (20.4 miles so far)
    Tue 8/26 - 8.7 miles from South Arm Road to Bemis Mountain Lean-to
    Wed 8/27 - 4.5 miles from Bemis Mountain LT to ME Hwy 17 (stay in Oquossoc?)
    Thu 8/28 - 3.8 miles from ME Hwy 17 to Sabbath Day Pond Lean-to
    Fri 8/29 - 9.4 miles from Sabbath Day Pond LT to ME Hwy 4 (stay in Rangeley) (26.4 miles since ZERO day) 46.8 miles GRAND TOTAL
    Sat 8/30 - spend day as tourist in Rangeley and on way back to Boston
    Sun 8/31 - day in Boston
    Mon 9/1 - free day (can use to adjust schedule if needed)
    Tue 9/2 - fly home to Nashville

My daughter lives in Boston now, but will not be hiking with me this year. Although I show hiking to shelters several short days, we might hike on and camp along the trail.

By the way, I'd love to hear and would be grateful for any suggestions, hints, warnings, advice, shuttle recommendations, or similar helpful comments!

Rain Man

Last edited by Rain Man; 07-22-2014 at 17:05.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

That's definitely a leisurely pace.
    Day 1 will be one of your hardest. There is about a mile of above tree line between the west and east peaks, great views. Just hope it isn't raining or very windy or it can be a very difficult mile.

Frye Notch to East B hill road is a piece of cake. That won't take more then a couple of hours.
    East B Hill rd to Hall Mountain is also reasonably easy.
    Hall Mountain to South Arm Rd has Moody Mt in the way. The climb up Moody is "interesting". You'll find out why soon enough But again, this will be a very short day of hiking.

Then you have another really stiff climb up Old Blue, but once up and over that the Bemis ridge is full of views and it's reasonably easy hiking to the shelter. One of my favorite sections in that part of Maine.

I would go directly from Bemis to Sabbath Day pond. The trail from the highway to the pond is a bit more stumblely then you might expect from the profile, but not that difficult. Otherwise you have two very short days back to back.

Then from Sabbath Day to Rangeley is a piece of cake. Lots of bogs.

Last time I did that section (Sabbath Day pond to Grafton Notch), I did it in 4 nights, 5 days - in late September. If I had gone directly to Bemis Mt shelter instead of going north to Sabbath Day pond for my first night, It would have been only 3 nights, 4 days, but I would have missed seeing this:
    SANY0044.JPG

My longest day was South Arm Rd to Frye Notch lean-to, 14 miles, but once up and over Moody Mt and the climb up Hall Mt, the rest wasn't too bad. BTW, The climb up Hall Mt from the south is very steep (with rebarb ladders) as is the climb up Old Blue.

Camping off trail is very limited in that section. The only good camp sites are the ones noted in the guide, Sawyer brook and South Arm Rd. If you decide to push on and "find a campsite", you will end up at the next shelter.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 07-22-2014 at 18:07.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    That's definitely a leisurely pace. ...
    Thanks! I really appreciate the advice. If it does turn out to be too leisurely a pace, we'll adjust and hike further or cut a harder day short and then make it up on an easy one. One "problem" is we don't want to hike past Hwy 4 at Rangeley on this trip, in order to start there next year with someone who needs to make up a missed section starting there.

Again, thanks!

Rain Man
    Last edited by Rain Man; 07-22-2014 at 22:45.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

Little Swift River Pond Campsite, 5 miles south of Rt 4 (Rangeley) is a nice campsite, if your ahead of schedule. In the past, there was a canoe to use as well as.

Slo-go'en, "The climb up Moody is "interesting" I'd like to add "memorable".

There are unofficial campsites in the woods near East B Hill road, between Hall and Moody Mtn and on the west side of South Arm Road. The Grafton Loop Trail on either side of RT 26 would make a good addition to your hike.

If you think the climb up Moody is interesting, try hiking the corridor boundary!

Make sure you visit the "gunsight" above Hall mountain shelter. If it helps, the AT shuttle may be able to shuttle you to the abandoned road between Moody and Hall. It is a couple of mile walk in from the gate. The neighbors along the lower road were playing games with access so unless the shuttler has recent experience, that approach may not be usable.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

This sounds like a job for TEACHER AND SNACKTIME! Faster than a speeding red hotrod, more helpful than a lightweight daypack, and who, disguised as an crazy old lady and burgeoning adolescent, seek to fill the never-ending hiker needs of shuttling, slack-packing and trail magic!

I'll check our schedule, RM....we may well be in the area around that time!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    That's definitely a leisurely pace.
    We are planning our first Maine section next year, and I was worried that our 8 mpd plan would make us look like sissies. I was simultaneously worried that our 8 mpd plan would be too hard for us. It's nice to know that somebody else is taking a conservative approach.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    We are planning our first Maine section next year, and I was worried that our 8 mpd plan would make us look like sissies. I was simultaneously worried that our 8 mpd plan would be too hard for us. It's nice to know that somebody else is taking a conservative approach.
    Simply planning on going shelter to shelter along here is not unreasonable.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

To many you'd be a Giant...sleepin' out in the wildness with all you own on your backs. Have a great hike all.

Images

We are planning our first Maine section next year, and I was worried that our 8 mpd plan would make us look like sissies.
    Rocketsocks is right. You'll be a giant. Sissies are the ones who stay on their couches only pushing buttons! I think 8 mpd is just fine. In the south, I averaged about 15 mpd. Even in southern NH, I did a 14 and a 16 mile day. But once hitting the Whites, I was very happy with half that mileage (or less), and my knees still became stiff and swollen.

I expect we may adjust our daily mileage specifics here and there on this trip, but I'd rather adjust up than down and feel better rather than worse about exceeding or falling short of expectations.

Happy to be called a wush. LOL

RainMan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    This sounds like a job for TEACHER AND SNACKTIME! Faster than a speeding red hotrod, more helpful than a lightweight daypack, and who, disguised as an crazy old lady and burgeoning adolescent, seek to fill the never-ending hiker needs of shuttling, slack-packing and trail magic!

I'll check our schedule, RM....we may well be in the area around that time!
    Teach, that would be awesome (again)! Here's hoping. And, btw, I got the "How to Speak Rhode Island" book, etc., last week. Mucho gracias!!!

Here's a pic of Snacktime, me, and Teacher last month in New Jersey.

RainMan

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rain Man; 07-24-2014 at 09:45.

I suggest calling Honey and Bear at "The Cabin" -- they will set you up with inexpensive shuttles and some great AYCE breakfasts and dinners. I spent 4 nights there in June.

IMO, this is a great area to slackpack if you can do 10-13 miles a day, as there are quite a few "memorable" climbs and descents which would be even more "memorable" carrying a full pack...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Rocketsocks is right. You'll be a giant. Sissies are the ones who stay on their couches only pushing buttons! I think 8 mpd is just fine. In the south, I averaged about 15 mpd. Even in southern NH, I did a 14 and a 16 mile day. But once hitting the Whites, I was very happy with half that mileage (or less), and my knees still became stiff and swollen.

I expect we may adjust our daily mileage specifics here and there on this trip, but I'd rather adjust up than down and feel better rather than worse about exceeding or falling short of expectations.

Happy to be called a wush. LOL

RainMan

I'm gonna follow your example, Rain Man. Might take us a few more years to get done, but I'd rather finish the trail than have the trail finish me!

Journal Entries
    Images

Was the kerchief with the book, RM? Myakka said he'd be on the lookout for more for you.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Was the kerchief with the book, RM? Myakka said he'd be on the lookout for more for you.
    Absolutely... it put the biggest smile on my face! I'll take more if convenient. Thanks!

RainMan

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm looking over your schedule and these are my thoughts. I think that Snacktime and I can plan our Maine Event this year to coincide with your hike. This could serve several purposes if timed just right: Farmer Chef & family, Kerosene, some FB friends, and a visit to Andover to see Honey and Bear (lodging recommendation by the way). I just need to figure out what my employment status will be at that town, which will determine whether we can pick you up in Boston and head north, or catch you later in the trip. I hope to have that info soon....in a week or so. Sorry I can't be more definitive just yet, but rest assured that we'll be there for you in some capacity if there is any possible way. Did I tell you what a good time we too had on our last outing and how great Snacktime felt about our efforts afterwards? He's definitely eager for another adventure in chasing Rain Man!

Images

Default Our Maine hike has been postponed exactly one week.

Our Maine hike has been postponed exactly one week. Same itinerary, new dates. We still welcome hike partners and/or visitors, if anyone's interested.

Tue 8/26 - fly to Boston
    Wed 8/27 - day in Boston with my daughter Grass, take evening bus to Gorham, NH, stay at White Mountains Lodge & Hostel (same as last year)
    Thu 8/28 - shuttle to Grafton Notch State Park (where we ended last August), begin hike on AT. Hike 5.8 miles to Frye Notch Lean-to
    Fri 8/29 - 4.5 miles Frye Notch LT to East B Hill Road, shuttle to a hostel in Andover
    Sat 8/30 - 6.0 miles from East B Hill Road to Hall Mountain Lean-to
    Sun 8/31 - 4.1 miles from Hall Mountain LT to South Arm Road, shuttle to a hostel in Andover
    Mon 9/1 - Labor Day - ZERO day in Andover (20.4 miles so far)
    Tue 9/2 - 8.7 miles from South Arm Road to Bemis Mountain Lean-to
    Wed 9/3 - 4.5 miles from Bemis Mountain LT to ME Hwy 17 (stay in Oquossoc?)
    Thu 9/4 - 3.8 miles from ME Hwy 17 to Sabbath Day Pond Lean-to
    Fri 9/5 - 9.4 miles from Sabbath Day Pond LT to ME Hwy 4 (stay in Rangeley) (26.4 miles since ZERO day) 46.8 miles GRAND TOTAL
    Sat 9/6 - spend day as tourist in Rangeley and on way back to Boston
    Sun 9/7 - day in Boston
    Mon 9/8 - free day (can use to adjust schedule if needed)
    Tue 9/9 - fly home to Nashville

RainMan

Journal Entries
    Images

I start working again tomorrow, Chum...or you KNOW we'd be there tooling around with you in the Maine wilderness. I'll be looking closely at my schedule though to see if there's any way we can surprise you on your journey. Sorry we'll miss the fun.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Each of the last two Augusts, I've hiked on the AT in NH & ME. NH is done and ME is started, so we're going back to pick up where we left off. Last year we averaged 6 miles a day and found that about right for us.

Anyone want to join in for a day, weekend, week, etc? Let me know.

Here is our TENTATIVE schedule (though Southwest tickets have been purchased):

Tue 8/19 - fly to Boston
    Wed 8/20 - day in Boston with my daughter Grass, take evening bus to Gorham, NH, stay at White Mountains Lodge & Hostel (same as last year)
    Thu 8/21 - shuttle to Grafton Notch State Park (where we ended last August), begin hike on AT. Hike 5.8 miles to Frye Notch Lean-to
    Fri 8/22 - 4.5 miles Frye Notch LT to East B Hill Road, shuttle to a hostel in Andover
    Sat 8/23 - 6.0 miles from East B Hill Road to Hall Mountain Lean-to
    Sun 8/24 - 4.1 miles from Hall Mountain LT to South Arm Road, shuttle to a hostel in Andover
    Mon 8/25 - ZERO day in Andover (20.4 miles so far)
    Tue 8/26 - 8.7 miles from South Arm Road to Bemis Mountain Lean-to
    Wed 8/27 - 4.5 miles from Bemis Mountain LT to ME Hwy 17 (stay in Oquossoc?)
    Thu 8/28 - 3.8 miles from ME Hwy 17 to Sabbath Day Pond Lean-to
    Fri 8/29 - 9.4 miles from Sabbath Day Pond LT to ME Hwy 4 (stay in Rangeley) (26.4 miles since ZERO day) 46.8 miles GRAND TOTAL
    Sat 8/30 - spend day as tourist in Rangeley and on way back to Boston
    Sun 8/31 - day in Boston
    Mon 9/1 - free day (can use to adjust schedule if needed)
    Tue 9/2 - fly home to Nashville

My daughter lives in Boston now, but will not be hiking with me this year. Although I show hiking to shelters several short days, we might hike on and camp along the trail.

By the way, I'd love to hear and would be grateful for any suggestions, hints, warnings, advice, shuttle recommendations, or similar helpful comments!

Rain Man

This section was included in my hike last month (Mt Madison Hut to ME Hwy 4). Although there are some tough sections, it won't be as bad as the section you completed last year. I actually slacked the last 26 miles in 2 days (South Arm to HWY 17 - day 1 and HWY 17 to ME 4 - day 2). The last 13 miles (HWY 17 to HWY 4) was as easy as the trail in Vermont.

Before my section this year, I reviewed your picture album from last year and it gave a lot of info on what to expect. I wasn't disappointed! Thanks.

May your weather be good and have a great hike. I can't think of anything that you would have an issue with.

Just John
    Seminole, FL

Rain Man, It's Leah who shuttled your car twice last year. My husband got pretty beat up last year from the hike so his August hike this year, they are not going to finish Maine this summer. Instead they are hiking from North Adams southbound to PA. I will meet up with them in Salisbury, then send them mail drops for the remainder of the trip.

Last year, I day hiked from Grafton Notch to East B Hill Road with my cousin while my husband took a couple of zeros to heal his knee and broken toe. There was a trail magic cooler near the stream near the road at that time. Starting out in Grafton Notch, the climb is brutal, straight up. There was no get yourself warmed up on a gentle slope. You will find some stone work in areas. Climbing the bald was steep but once at the top, it is flat and you even have boards to walk across covering the mud. On the down side, you will encounter a small ladder to climb down. Frye Notch shelter has a stream running by it. I saw a lot of moose droppings on the trail but didn't see any moose. You will hear chainsaws and machinery from time to time, fooling you to think you are near the road crossing.

We started the hike at 6AM and finished just after 1PM. We were met at the road by my cousin's wife and my husband with a pizza and pouring rain! My cousin then decided to hike onto the next road crossing in Andover. He finished after 6PM.

The weather this August has been cooler than normal, just like last year so be prepared for some cold nights. Temperatures at night in southern NH has been in the upper 50's.

Enjoy your hike!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++