WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Likeapumpa -- I have that same tent (both the "two" and "four" person versions). They are both over 20 years old and still kicking. I just replaced all the elastic shock cords the other day. The originals had become non-stretchy melted masses that threatened to break every trip. I can't believe we ever carried that backpacking, but we did!

Good on you for getting the troop out backpacking.
    Is that a Eureka Timberline? I got rid of mine finally. Had a funky smell that wouldn't go away. I think it was decomposing polyurethane.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    'Peak-bagger's pathology.' I resemble that remark, since I seem to have taken up peak-bagging. But where I hike, the peaks are pretty nifty places, and the mileage of a hike that bags a couple or three is just perfect for a clueless weekend. I'm looking at myself, and I'm just not seeing a desire for conquest, more like "gee, here's this catalog of cool places, wouldn't it be nice if I could get out and see them all?"

And most of the folks I run into on peak-bagging trips aren't really like either adrenalin junkies or accountants. In fact, most of the ones I meet on the harder peaks have finished the list a long time ago, and are going back to them over again because they're still great places to go.
    I agree, I hike for hikin' don't care where, or how many times I repeat a trail, summit, stream, or town, if it appeals to me, I go, if not, then I won't go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    @likeapuma...................life is good
    Indeed! Time outside is great by itself, enjoying & introducing my family to it makes it all that much more enjoyable! Especially when I get to see school "projects" & she's always referencing things we've experienced while out exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Likeapumpa -- I have that same tent (both the "two" and "four" person versions). They are both over 20 years old and still kicking. I just replaced all the elastic shock cords the other day. The originals had become non-stretchy melted masses that threatened to break every trip. I can't believe we ever carried that backpacking, but we did!

Good on you for getting the troop out backpacking.
    This is actually a troop tent! Haha. I think they bought them when I was in, 15 years ago? Still kicking around, going strong. I remember lugging the 4 man around the CT portion of the AT, if only I knew about lightweight hiking then! When we do go now, most of the boys have lighter tents, or try just using tarps. Probably to offset the 10 different types pairs of clothes & cast iron pans they have dangling from their packs

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++