WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Just my 3 cents, my 22 year old son is on the Colorado Trail right now..........he and my other son (cancer survivor) have also been on the AT.

They both share a love for the outdoors.............and of course, spend a lot of time online, etc.

I think that in time outdoor recreation will continue to expa
    Glad your Boys are doin' well Del Q, have a family member going thru the same right now...all the best....it's cool your boys are not just brothers, but friends.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Now that's a well written article...and fair.

My local EMS is moving into a much larger section once occupied by the B&N which moved into a smaller section of the mall. Asking one of the sales people what the plans for the store was, he replied "I think they'er going to be expanding the bicycle, climbing and kayak sections...more clothes too"

Backpacking dying??? maybe not dying, just sifting gears a little to the more extreme. Me, I'm all about slow and steady these days...moseying if you will, though this has come more out of necessity....see ya on the trail.
    Sorry, meant to say..."another well written article"

Journal Entries
    Images

Quotation-James-Patrick-Watson-thinking-practice-inspirational-time-Meetville-Quotes-226706.jpg Uhh yea.... thread related...

Neanderthal-Underwear--258.jpg Now where did junior go to play xbox? we have been hiking for miles around this damn neighborhood....
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 07-24-2014 at 21:27.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    .....Put it another way, how many former thru-hikers still go on regular backpacking trips once they can't go on multi-month or even multi-week hikes?
    I know several, me included, although I've come to like shorter long trails in the 300 to 1000 mi. range. I still get out every couple months on overnight trips to stay in shape between long hikes and have met several AT thru alumni who've joined in those weekend trips with the Northeast OH Backpacking Club.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    The more I ponder this subject the more I wonder how much of the decline in backpacking is caused by people's avoidance of the outdoors due to irrational fears. I recently started reading posts in a couple of the facebook appalachian trail groups and the questions seem to be a revolving door of: Bears, venomous (or incorrectly poisonous) snakes, guns, and giardia. I think that the many news cycles we're had in recent decades have given a lot of people a grossly inflated view of the dangers of backcountry camping.
    While I agree with you about the existence of irrational fears, I am not sure if this is new and contributing to the decline. Think "lions and tigers and bears oh my" which is a sentiment expressed in the Wizard of Oz. People have always had fear or at least wariness of "dangerous" animals.

People are very disconnected from the natural world these days as well as growing up more sheltered. Ask some people to leave their air conditioned houses and go out in the heat of summer to sleep on the ground and they will look at you like you are nuts. Glamping is on the rise though. How many people say "Aw it's raining out". Yeah it's raining out, it's where your water comes from. It makes the plants and trees grow. Put some raingear on you'll be ok. Even hikers cancel trips though because of rain, or it's too cold or too hot. Then when they do get out there, they're tethered to cyberspace and not connecting with the natural world. Their consciousness is not fully immersed in the natural world and that lessens the experience.

Laugh at the rain, revel in the snow, so what if its hot, shake off the bugs, bust out some 20s, and climb some mountains. Don't be afraid and go alone if you want or must.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I say backpacking is evolving with new light weight equipment available, not dieing, 40 lbs is no longer a required carry weight it once was and now that sub 20 lbs is easy to achieve, and very freeing, the routing and distance changes to this new style of backpacking. It is evolving away from enjoyment of backcountry camping towards enjoyment of the hike itself.

Lighter packs lead to more distance and more time spent enjoying the hiking and less time required at camp to rest and recover. Before current sub 20 lb pack weights this type of hiking was not possible for many, so it took the pack weight dropping to todays levels to allow this type of backpacking to evolve.

Also the additional food for longer distances between resupplies makes a much greater impact in terms of percent carry weight, so lighter, smaller segments would well to keep the hike more of the main focus of the enjoyment and the camping out part more of a secondary function.

I do suspect that if the sub 20 lb pack were common back then backpacking would have conformed more to the pattern we have today.

I use the sub 20 lb because that is for me the point I feel that lightness, but it would vary according to the person.
    I think this fellow^^^^ has a point here.People enjoying the hike and mileage more is leading to the aforementioned slackpacking.
    But that being said,I know as a LD runner that I can find very few folks(none) that want to go out and do 1-15 mile runs with me or 15-20 mile hikes OR wanting to go backpacking,even if just a few miles.Its a fitness thing I think,not everyone,even the young folks are in the kind of shape required to backpack,or at least in good enough shape to not make it feel like torture. The heat,carrying a pack,no shower for few days,no social media,no internet or smart phones and to top it off its HARD WORK backpacking.Its hot,smelly work sometimes and unless you enjoy these kinds of things (I thoroughly enjoy exercise) ,or have learned (over the years) how to make backpacking a little more comfortable,I kinda see why most people would rather just curl up in front of facebook or a movie.....self induced pain and suffering isnt for everyone.

a.k.a. - "Jethro Tull" on the AT Vibes Man's Avatar

My take on it is that everything has it's decline and regeneration. Though, backpacking may appear to be "dying" according to the columnist. It's more likely it's just on the decline and will experience a resurgence with Generation Z's children or their children's children.
    ...with lives on the line where dreams are found and lost
    I'll be there on time and I'll pay the cost
    For wanting things that can only be found
    In the darkness on the edge of town

If you want my opinion....Backpacking was typically a "word of mouth" hobby. It was passed by family, friends, or cohorts that got someone interested. In essence, peer pressure got folks in the wood and kept them coming back.

Now with a modern online society people hear about backpacking and then go and find out more about it online.

We might be running people off when they read conversations about cutting two of the tines off a fork to save .5 grams of weight to go backpacking or that you need a $345 sleeping bag to spend the night in the woods.

I quit reading a magazine (initials BP) as it made the hobby sound undoable unless you chunked out 11% of your pre-taxed salary annually on new gear. It also advocated that you need to be in a physical condition that would make a Navy SEAL envious.

Sure lighter weight, expensive gear, and better physical conditions make it somewhat more enjoyable; but I have found the only wrong way to backpack is by not going.

Truth is the woods are full of fat guys like me with ten year old gear.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

I know quite a few younger backpackers where I live. What really concerns be is that I see no young people in the organizations that maintain and create the trails. I volunteer a reasonable amount with the Keystone Trails Assocation in Pennsylvania, as much as my wife lets me. I'm in my 30s and at the trail care events almost everyone is at least 20 years older than me. I've seen the same with the PATC for example. Young people aren't going to have the wide variety of trails we have in the mid atlantic 20 years from now if this trend continues. Maintianing and building trails is not glourious work. It is rather the opposite but neccessary and many young backpackers I know who backpack a good amount seem to have no interest in maintaining the very trails they hike when I talk to them about it.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    I know several, me included, although I've come to like shorter long trails in the 300 to 1000 mi. range. I still get out every couple months on overnight trips to stay in shape between long hikes and have met several AT thru alumni who've joined in those weekend trips with the Northeast OH Backpacking Club.
    Based on hiker gatherings, people i know in this area, and some messages sent to me privately, that is the exception.

I suspect a BACKPACKING club (or a backpacking forum!) may have a few more active former thru-hikers ..at least I hope so.

The popularity of people attending hiker gatherings, who have not backpacked in a while, may go with the idea that the long trails are alluring as much for the cultural aspect much as being in the wilderness.
    Last edited by Mags; 07-25-2014 at 11:29.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by mankind117 View Post
    What really concerns be is that I see no young people in the organizations that maintain and create the trails.
    Unless they make an APP for that you are probably right.

From 2006-2011 I took a break from law enforcement to be a CEO for a rather prominant non-profit that really reached out and helped the community through several methods. There were opportunities for people, young and old...rich and poor....with lots or little of free time, to volunteer. It was nearly impossible to get anyone less than age 60 to volunteer unless it was some sort of "high profile" Facebook inspiring event.

Just another reason to appreciate growing older.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

...and don't forget the lowly hiker trash monsters out there just waiting to brainwash the kids into a life of tattoos, bad hygiene, long hair, and junk food parties.
    Well........Ye-ah !
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    While I agree with you about the existence of irrational fears, I am not sure if this is new and contributing to the decline. Think "lions and tigers and bears oh my" which is a sentiment expressed in the Wizard of Oz. People have always had fear or at least wariness of "dangerous" animals.

People are very disconnected from the natural world these days as well as growing up more sheltered. Ask some people to leave their air conditioned houses and go out in the heat of summer to sleep on the ground and they will look at you like you are nuts. Glamping is on the rise though. How many people say "Aw it's raining out". Yeah it's raining out, it's where your water comes from. It makes the plants and trees grow. Put some raingear on you'll be ok. Even hikers cancel trips though because of rain, or it's too cold or too hot. Then when they do get out there, they're tethered to cyberspace and not connecting with the natural world. Their consciousness is not fully immersed in the natural world and that lessens the experience.

Laugh at the rain, revel in the snow, so what if its hot, shake off the bugs, bust out some 20s, and climb some mountains. Don't be afraid and go alone if you want or must.
    Nicely put, and I agree completely. It brings to mind though that this popular reticence is not necessarily a bad thing. Imagine what the trail would be like if everyone wanted to hike them. I don't think there's as much of a decline in backpacking as there is an increase in population of those disinterested. The ratio may decrease, but I imagine the actual numbers will maintain - relatively, based on the "passed down" idea previously mentioned. There will always be bowlers, knitters, quilters, cross-country skiers, etc., though the popularity of these interests will wax and wane periodically.

There will always be those who appreciate the trails.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

As a Boy Scout leader, I try to encourage backpacking in our troop. The first few years my boys were in the troop, we did no backpacking. We've upped that to two trips a year. My sons have loved it.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    As a Boy Scout leader, I try to encourage backpacking in our troop. The first few years my boys were in the troop, we did no backpacking. We've upped that to two trips a year. My sons have loved it.
    That should be mandatory in my book...good for you! My Sons Troop backpacked a lot, and was very active.

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    I volunteer with the troop I used tom be in... Lots of car camping. I've been pushing for more backpacking trips, & we're currently up to 2 schedules trips a year. All the scouts love it. Now if only I could get it through their skulls that lighter packs make for a more pleasurable trip!

And while it's certainly not backpacking, my 3 year old & I are "camping out" tonight in the backyard, followed by some local day hikes this weekend (state parks are free this weekend in CT!)

@likeapuma...................life is good

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

alrighty, I just read it again. I think it is very well written, it's a screed of sorts, an opinion piece. Not all articles need stats to make their point, this article was asking the reader to look deeper I think, stats can confuse at times and draw the attention away from what is being said. though I could see how some would be miffed at this.

The adrenalized relationship with the natural world is also an experience of human conquest – the peak-bagger's pathology. Ironically, it's not much different from the benighted mindset of corporate accountancy: How many cliffs base-jumped? How many extreme trails conquered? Faster, more. And always the adrenalin payoff Casimiro perceives – not dissimilar to the monetary payoff chased by capitalists.

I get that.
    'Peak-bagger's pathology.' I resemble that remark, since I seem to have taken up peak-bagging. But where I hike, the peaks are pretty nifty places, and the mileage of a hike that bags a couple or three is just perfect for a clueless weekend. I'm looking at myself, and I'm just not seeing a desire for conquest, more like "gee, here's this catalog of cool places, wouldn't it be nice if I could get out and see them all?"

And most of the folks I run into on peak-bagging trips aren't really like either adrenalin junkies or accountants. In fact, most of the ones I meet on the harder peaks have finished the list a long time ago, and are going back to them over again because they're still great places to go.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Likeapumpa -- I have that same tent (both the "two" and "four" person versions). They are both over 20 years old and still kicking. I just replaced all the elastic shock cords the other day. The originals had become non-stretchy melted masses that threatened to break every trip. I can't believe we ever carried that backpacking, but we did!

Good on you for getting the troop out backpacking.

If backpacking is dead or dying, WOW, ALL those gear manufacturers who sell and just introduced new models of overnight backpacks must have really missed this news? I don't think so!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++