WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default White Mountain Questions for Late August/Early September

For the White Mtn. savvy, I have a few questions. My wife and I are pretty much "booked" to hike the white starting in Gorham, heading south starting August 28th. As an aside, we both simply cannot wait to enjoy those mountains! We know they are tough, and this is precisely one major reason we're looking forward to this AT section.

My questions:

1) how are the water sources in terms of clarity? I switched to using aquamira on my AT endeavors so far (GA->NY) and this works for me because of the high quality of the water along the AT (clarity wise). Can we expect this in the whites? I would think so, just making sure. The alternative is to switch back to using a Sawyer filter, a tad heavier and more time consuming.

2) nighttime temps: we are booked into huts for a couple nights (Mizpah and Greenleaf), plus nights on either end in hostels/hotels, but will have 4 nights in campsites or shelters of various altitudes, but less than 4000'. Would a good, conservatively rated 30 degree bag be sufficient for an average sleeper in a small shared tent? (30 deg for me, my wife is taking a good 20 deg WM).

3) seems like a dumb question, but I cannot seem to find out if the AMC huts will accept resupply packages, does anyone know for sure that they do (or don't)? How are snack food resupplies along the trail, like at the huts? We can carry our regular meals, but unless we start really heavy, we will need lots of trail food/snack resupplies, maybe we can just buy them all along the way. We don't want to divert off the trail though, we're hiking an aggressive time schedule (100 miles in 7 days, if weather cooperates reasonably).

4) we're trying to arrange a shuttle from the south end of the whites to Laconia (because Laconia has an Avis rental place, where I get a corporate deal). No one on the ATC shuttle list is returning my inquiries. Does anyone know a good shuttle person near the south end of the whites? We would need this shuttle on Friday morning, September 5th from the Glencliff, near the NH 25 AT crossing. I think the shuttle length would be about 50 miles.

Thanks in advance for any good info! Again, we're chomping at the bit and cannot wait. New England, here we come! (never been up there)

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    1) water sources in terms of clarity?
    Excellent. Your system will be fine. As you know from other parts of the AT, there are ALSO pools of murkier water that could be nice supplements if you had a cleanable filter like the Sawyer mini.

2) nighttime temps
    The bags you mention are fine. I've had cold damp air roll in in September (hell, July) where I had to supplement a 30F bag with clothing, but you can't over-prepare for the real outliers.

3) if the AMC huts will accept resupply packages... How are snack food resupplies along the trail, like at the huts?
    The huts, like Mizpah & Greeleaf that you mention, no packages. Most of the huts have cookies and breads and soup from leftovers. If you wind up just following a thru-group though, the soup will be drained dry.

4) we're trying to arrange a shuttle from the south end of the whites to Laconia
    The Shuttle Connection (603)745-3140 used to be terrific when run by its founder, John LaBreque; it's been variable since, mostly expensive & poor service and uncooperative, but occasionally helpful. Most of the others services I know (like The Trail Angel) work further north, sorry.

Also - check this out, the White Mountain Guide, On-Line edition with

http://www.wmgonline.org

It's $15 per year and includes trip planning with times and distances and the pages of the WMG itself. A good resource.

Supplies have to be carried up to the huts, often on very steep trail with heavy loads, so mail drops are not possible. You could probably send a package to the Highland center in Crawford notch. If so, that would be a good idea since a store with anything more then basic snacks is quite far away.

You really should have booked a night at Lakes of the Clouds. Once you start to climb out of the Great Gulf up towards Madison, there is no camping until you get to Mitzpa. That whole section is above tree line. The only camping would be at the Valley way tent site, one of the RMC cabins or the Perch (shelter and tent platforms). These three places are quite a detour off the ridge line.

It can start to get really chilly the end of August, but 30/20 bags should be okay. Also, remember the tent sits are on platforms, so unless you have a self supporting tent, bring enough string to tie off to the edge of the platform.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Supplies have to be carried up to the huts, often on very steep trail with heavy loads, so mail drops are not possible. You could probably send a package to the Highland center in Crawford notch. If so, that would be a good idea since a store with anything more then basic snacks is quite far away.

You really should have booked a night at Lakes of the Clouds. ...
    good info, thanks. Makes sense with no mail drops at huts. I did try to book Lake of the clouds, it was full, but I think I have an itinerary that works. We have a small tent and plenty of cordage.

I think there are eats at Pinkham notch, right on the trail, right? AWOL says there are eats, and I think implies it's right on the trail (because no mileage offset). Same deal with Mt. Washington, eats right on top, I think, so I think we'll have mid-day food available these two days, at least. Just trying to minimize starting food weight...

Sorry, these probably seem like dumb questions to you NH folks and white mtn. veterans!

Again, thanks!

You are correct, there is cafeteria type snack bar the top of Mt Washington and breakfast and dinner at Pinkham (not sure about lunch). The Highland center is off trail but similar meals as Pinkham.

If you are on ridge line between Mt Pierce and Mt Madison, all the cordage in the world is of no use, you will have to drop down off the AT to find a flat spot.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    You are correct, there is cafeteria type snack bar the top of Mt Washington and breakfast and dinner at Pinkham (not sure about lunch). The Highland center is off trail but similar meals as Pinkham.

If you are on ridge line between Mt Pierce and Mt Madison, all the cordage in the world is of no use, you will have to drop down off the AT to find a flat spot.
    Cool! And I wasn't implying that we could tent anywhere on or near the ridgeline, I was referring to slo-go-en's remark about the platforms; we have a small free-standing tent and plenty of tie-downs cord.

The huts also sell a limited selection of candy bars.

Check availability at Lake of the Clouds just before you leave or get to Pinkham. There is always a chance of a last minute cancellation and that would make things a whole lot easier.

Since you already have reservations for Mitzpa and Greenleaf, getting there on the correct day is important, so you had best plan the Gorham to Mitzpa leg carefully.

1)Gorham to Imp shelter
    2)Imp to Osgood tent platforms
    3)Osgood to the Perch
    4)The Perch to Mitzpa
    5)Mitzpa to Greenleaf
    6)Greenleaf to Eliza Brook
    7)Eliza Brook --out

Err, I don't think you'll make it all the way to 25A. You'd really want to do this as a 10 day trip, not 7 days. There's some pretty hard days in the above mix of stops and requires prefect weather the whole way. Oh well, all you can do is try. Just keep in mind that 1 mile in the Whites is like 2 or more miles anywhere else.

Images

Regarding tent platforms, I know this is not LNT and I do not endorse it nor do I use them as I hammock, but screw in eye hooks have been used in tent platforms in the past.

Crawford Notch: There is a snack bar 1 mile west at the Willey House. Nothing spectacular but when I did my thru-hike it was AMAZING!
    Shuttle: The Hostel at Glencliff will also run shuttle

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Err, I don't think you'll make it all the way to 25A. You'd really want to do this as a 10 day trip, not 7 days. There's some pretty hard days in the above mix of stops and requires prefect weather the whole way. Oh well, all you can do is try...
    We're just going to 25, not 25A, but even then, yes, our chance of success is totally weather dependent, and all we're going to do is give it our best shot and enjoy it all. I wish we had 10 days, but we don't, we have 7, 8 tops, and we'll just get to wherever we get to and call it good. Our primary goal is to have a beautiful hike, and I'm thinking that's pretty much 100% guaranteed.

Thanks for all the great info folks!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post
    The huts also sell a limited selection of candy bars.
    that's good news, you just lowered my starting weight by about a pound of candy bars! thanks!

Images

One more question, sorry: How about bugs in late August/early September? My wife is a bug-magnet (she's sooooo sweet!) and wants to know. I was thinking they should be on the decline by this time of year, at least at the higher elevations, but just a guess on my part. Again, thanks for any info.

One more question, sorry: How about bugs in late August/early September? My wife is a bug-magnet (she's sooooo sweet!) and wants to know. I was thinking they should be on the decline by this time of year, at least at the higher elevations, but just a guess on my part. Again, thanks for any info.
    Pretty much gone. Actually, you often find swarms of bugs near the summits. I think the wind blows them up there.

just to add (and app0logies if this is already covered and I missed it with my quick skim of this thread):

I live two hours from the white mountains and am very familiar. Your plan to hike south from Gorham (presumably over the Carters and Presies to eventually Glencliff or even Hanover) sounds great. The weather during that time period will be about as good as it gets (and it is never great for long in the whites).

Be sure to fill all water containers at the huts. They all let hikers refill their water bottles free (water at huts is drinkable without filtering). Don't count on the huts accepting mail drops or holding gear for you. They've got enough on their hands just dealing with the 30-90 guests every day.

Work for stay (free lodging on table or floor in exchange for chores) is a privilege (not a right) often afforded to thru hikers. you'd want to arrive near end of the day for this. You can't count on this. Guests at huts pay around 100 bucks or more per night... at least those who are non amc members (and members don't save all that much). Just noticed you've already booked two hut nights. that should be fun and reduces your pack weight.

Some of the tenting sights will require a caretaker fee.

You can buy candy and such at the huts but expect to pay premium prices.

I would recommend a sleeping bag rated to at LEAST 20 degrees, lower if you are temp sensitive. There will be some chilly nights.

Bugs won't be a problem. You can leave the bug repellent at home.

have a "bailout" point or two just in case the weather goes down the tubes (you can never fully tell in advance)

Have a great time!

DavidNH

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Your plan to hike south from Gorham (presumably over the Carters and Presies to eventually Glencliff or even Hanover) sounds great. The weather during that time period will be about as good as it gets (and it is never great for long in the whites)...
    Yep, Gorham to Glenclif, 100.5 miles by my reckoning, shorter if weather holds us back. Two nights booked at roughly $100/per night/per person, MEMBER prices (regular = $125-ish), we'll do everything possible to make those two nights on time! Other nights in camps, shelters and hostel, or even another hut if that works out.

Thanks for the great info David, Slo-go-en and others!

Lakes of the Cloud hut and Madison hut close for the season mid September.

++ New Posts ++