WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Phones on the trail

G'day again

It seems that Verizon, from my reading of journals, has the best coverage on the AT.

Is there a problem for foreigners buying local sim cards in the States? Only reason I ask is it is now illegal in some countries I have been to lately.

Planning looks like shifting to 2015 now as I have very itchy feet.

JJ
    Australia

Images

i don't think verizon uses sim cards. call verizon and ask them the rules.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i don't think verizon uses sim cards. call verizon and ask them the rules.
    Well that could be a problem as I was planning on using the Galaxy 5S and need a sim. How do you move a phone to another provider if they don't use sim cards?

Verizon started using SIMs in their 4G devices. You'll need to be sure that your device will be compatible with Verizon's network, though. I'd recommend calling Verizon to verify that it will. If it does, then all you'll need to do is get a Verizon prepaid SIM, pop it in and you're good.

You might also want to consider buying a pre-paid phone once you get to the US. I know some people that are pretty happy with them and then you wouldn't have to worry about all of the technical details of getting your current phone to work.

I have never seen sim cards used by Verizon, all the verizon phones i have used you buy these pre-paid cards these might be like the sim cards i don't know or you just go to a verizon store and get minutes put on it their, but yes do contact Verizon and ask them directly, sorry if this doesn't help.

Images

I just got a Samsung S3 phone from Verizon a couple of months ago and they had to put a card in the phone so it would work.

Here is a youtube video

Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Fastpacker
    Images

Throwaway phones are extremely easy and cheap to get in the US. Most gas stations (with store), rest stops, walmarts, and some drug stores all sell cheap phones for around $30-$50. Verizon, AT&T both have their own prepaid plans, so you would be able to get their service. AT&T service works for me in most areas of the trail around WV, MD, PA, NJ and NY. Not sure about other parts.
    When hiking in bear country one does not need to be the fastest runner in the party, just not the slowest - TalusMonkey

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

yeah, even dollar general, walgreens, and home depot have them. Even really nasty gas stations should sell some cheap ones.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

At Walmart stores in the US, they sell cell pre-paid cells phones & plans under the brand 'Straight Talk.' Different phones use different carriers, including Verizon. Get one for Verizon coverage. $45 US for unlimited talk, text, & data. A possibility you might look into. This is the phone system I used on the trail last year. Worked pretty well for me.

Note: There are portions of the trail (& trail towns) where Verizon doesn't work but others do.

Images

In the USA, we have been bound by service providers where discounted phones under contract are locked to specific provider only. Unlike overseas where most phones are sold factory unlocked and a person can utilize service from choice of any available service provider. I have several European unlocked phones I bought while working overseas and basically in the same situation, I can't use these phones on Verizon's network.
    Recently the FCC has mandated that all service providers must unlock any persons phone after completion of contract so that persons can change providers and use same phone if they choose to do so. However, they are not required to notify individuals, it's the responsibility of the individual to request unlocking of phone.

Verizon uses CDMA, like most other countries, Australia uses GSM. Verizon's newer phones target international customers by utilizing CDMA and GSM frequencies (Global Phone). Should you purchase a Verizon Global phone it would work abroad by replacing sim card with one from that country.
    Most likely your phone is either a European or Asian model identified by G900K- Asian or G900F- European. Remove battery to view available frequencies and model identifier, it's probably a pentaband phone being its recent release and high price tag. Unfortunately, if your phone is not identified as CDMA you will be limited to AT&T or T-mobile GSM band service only.
    Ironically enough, God's last name isn't Damn....

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    At Walmart stores in the US, they sell cell pre-paid cells phones & plans under the brand 'Straight Talk.' Different phones use different carriers, including Verizon. Get one for Verizon coverage. $45 US for unlimited talk, text, & data. A possibility you might look into. This is the phone system I used on the trail last year. Worked pretty well for me.

Note: There are portions of the trail (& trail towns) where Verizon doesn't work but others do.
    Bugger just got used to my Galaxy 5S and now I'll have to get another, to use on Verizon, or go with AT&T or similar, which according to the journals I'm reading is inferior on the AT. From Verizon my phone will work on their 2g network but not 3g or 4g. I'll look into Walmart.
    Thanks
    JJ

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    From Verizon my phone will work on their 2g network but not 3g or 4g.
    Please do share what or whom your source was through Verizon? This would mean that Verizon is now selling GSM sim cards which I was told a few months ago by Verizon tech support that they do not and phone would have to be a Verizon specific phone using CDMA which has always been the case... I have a unlocked quad band phone I want to use with Verizon service as their service is the only one that works offshore near me.
    I want one..
    Thanks
    Ironically enough, God's last name isn't Damn....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post

Verizon does not have unlimited data. $45 gets you only 500mb. just so you know. was switched up 2 years ago.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I spoke to someone in their chat room. Sent them all the bands that my aussie phone would work on and got that reply. It is the slowest so I will opt to buy a prepaid when I get there. They did also talk about their global phones that work on CDMA and GSM networks, and if I bought one of them on a prepaid plan it would the work on some GSM bands in Australia. Found them on their website http://www.verizonwireless.com/suppo...bal_phone.html

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    You might also want to consider buying a pre-paid phone once you get to the US. I know some people that are pretty happy with them and then you wouldn't have to worry about all of the technical details of getting your current phone to work.
    Make sure you are using a phone that uses CDMA. Do not use a GSM phone. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM. Sprint and Verizon use CDMA, but Verizon has more complete coverage.

You can get a pre-paid CDMA phone from TracFone that gets the same coverage as Verizon. But it is tricky. They also sell GSM phones and the much prefer you buy GSM. Most stores that sell TracFones only stock GSM phones.

You probably have to order one online. When you go to their website, they will ask for a zip code. Based on the zip code they will let you choose phones. The whole zip code thing is used to determine whether they offer you CDMA phones or GSM phones and it is based on the coverage in the zip code. If there is any coverage in the zip code for GSM, even if crappy, they will only offer you GSM phones. Do not buy them. You have to find a zip code that gets no GSM coverage, enter that, then they will allow you to buy CDMA phones.

For the non-smart phones, this usually means a model number that ends in "C" (e.g. LG 236C). Do not buy a phone where the model number ends in G (e.g. LG 236G).

I just worked out a zip code that works. I found it buy looking at AT&T coverage map and finding a big hole. Try entering 24348 which is near Independence, VA.

I take a simple TracFone on the trail and it works great. (As well as my friends who have Verizon). The phone cost $20 and came with double minutes for life. For $20 I can add 120 minutes and 90 days.

Default Welcome jjozgrunt

Missed greeting you when you joined in June.

G'day mate, welcome.

Rolls Kanardly
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

This is the best deal I've found for a pre-paid phone that uses the Verizon network:

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

I personally use T-Mobile's $30 Unlimited Data/Text 100 Minutes talk plan but if you go outside of a major city teh coverage is almost 0 (just some roaming.)
    --

Hike Safe.

Almost all cell phone carriers are switching to no contract now. But you have to pay full price for the phone instead $100 or $200. You can do payments but it has to be paid off before your contract can closeout.

As for unlocking phones most smart phones can be jailbroken or rooted, which allows the individual to unlock it themselves. Just remember to wipe it before getting work done. You can undo it. It does void all warrenty.

As for the $45 for 300mb that seems really low nowadays and I believe he was talking about pre pay which is much cheaper. the downside to prepay is the fact that you dont get the newer faster networks. And with the 4g theyre actually phasing out older networks. Some places the data is only 3g and 4g. And older phones dont get good service because the data pushes non data aside. Things like Iphones and some newer phones use data to send sms because its faster not the actual phone network. I believe they are starting to do it with calling as well.

G'day Rolls

It's nice to be here. Can't wait to enjoy the hospitality of in the States. Arizona is one place I will have to get to one day for my other interest, Gemstones. I have been meaning to get to the Tucson show for a while now.

JJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++