WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    +1 everything Venchka says. I'm a 170 lb, 6' side sleeper. I have the XTherm regular and it's nearly too narrow,but really cushy. 20 breathes blows it up firm---the inflator bag/stuff sack that comes with it was too much hassle. I let air out until it's comfy as well. I'm concerned about using it in the desert on my planned Arizona Trail hike. I did use a Thermarest Prolite on the NM CDT with no issue and don't remember being that picky about campsites. Any advice on taking the XTherm vs a ZRest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
    +2 on everything Venchka said about the X Therm. I have the large size also. I have used mine on snow down to zero degrees F (so far) and its plenty warm.
    Thanks Y'all! Glad to hear that the Xtherm works on snow. That is exactly why I bought it. Some day!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I'm a big dude and have found anything under 3 inches is worthless when side-sleeping on hard packed ground.

Although, building a natural bed from dead leaves, moss, pine needles, etc. will make that 1.5 much more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

I have an REI Flash that weighs 17ounces. It's 2.5" thick, and I can finally fall asleep on my side (or stomach for that matter) and not have various body parts fall asleep. Previous 2 pads were a Thermarest Trail Lite & a ZLite. They just didn't offer enough cushioning.

I'm sure as long as you get a 2.5" you'll be fine.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

I too am a side sleeper tossing and turning from side to side a lot.

1) YES THE THICKER P

Oops.

I too am a side sleeper tossing and turning from side to side a lot.

1) Yes, the thicker or more cushioned pads help but also try NOT inflating your REI Air Core 1.5 all the way. Let some air out! You may get a more comfortable lay for your hips. Be careful you don't plop heavily onto your inflatable pad if doing this though.

2) Look for campsites, specifically where you will lie down, that have duff or a softer feel. In Maryland there are campsites with a thick layer of dry pine needles that make a really comfy bed. Be mindful of any soft sap though. Likewise, soft sandy sleeping areas like on beach/river/stream sand can provide relief for your hips and a heavenly deep sleep, especially with the sound of the water. Be mindful of rising water level possibilities though.

3) Explore sleeping in a hammock. If you're a bit on the heavier side consider things like thicker hammock fabrics, two under layers, bridge hammocks, various tweaking of a hammock set up, etc

4) After you know exactly where you'll be lying down to sleep dish out the ground where your hips lay. This can be really helpful for larger/heavier/fluffier people but I find it also helps me as giraffe being tall and lanky.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    If you have a pack liner - I use a trash compactor bag - fill it with air, hold the open end tight against the open pad nozzle and squeeze the air into your pad. Works like playing the bagpipes, without the stepped-on-cat sound.
    I never thought of doing that. Thanx for the tip.

Sent from my iPod touch.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++