WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water in Segment 18

I'm going through my water plan one last time before heading to the trail and something in the guide book regarding Section 18 concerns me. I am currently planning to camp at Baldy Lake at Segment 17 Mile 6.9 and plan to carry enough the next day to get to Lujan Creek near the end of Segment 17. Then, I plan to hike nine miles into Segment 18 to get to Los Creek where the trail description in the guidebook says water is "likely". However, I just noticed that the "About this segment" section of the guidebook warns not to count on any water until Cochetopa Creek in Segment 19. And the guidebook also warns of unreliability "later in summer".

So my question is how likely I am to find water in Los Creek in mid August. The Baldy Lake to Los Creek day is already around 22-23 miles so having to continue on to Cochetopa Creek in Segment 19 in search of water if Los Creek is dry would not be a great option.

I did that stretch a couple of years ago and didn't have any trouble. I planned ahead and took about 4 litres, which was enough to make it the 22 miles. It has also been a pretty wet year across Colorado, so there should be water.

Thanks for the feedback. I do have plenty of capacity for carrying water (two 2L platypus, 1L Smartwater, and 700ml smartwater bottles) so if I have to haul water I can do so. I'll only have around 3 days of food at that point heading into a resupply at Lake city so carrying more water wouldn't be too big of a burden if needed...

I remember stocking up nearly 7 litres for that section originally. It scared me a lot that the distance was so great. I had already ran out of water twice earlier on the trail because 2012 was so hot and dry, so a took a bunch. A mile into the 22 mile stretch, I poured out 2 1/2 litres. It didn't make any sense carrying all that weight. Best of luck to you!

Angel Apple plans to remain at Angel camp (with water) at the Seg 18/19 division until Aug 15.

Los Creek is quite reliable. Bearcreek knows most and maybe he'll chime in. He has told me that Los Creek has given him water every one of his 6 thru-trips. Where trail crosses Los Creek normally has a trickle. But if flow is too limited there, diverge from the CT/CDT before crossing the creek and continue downstream along the North side of the creek (guessing 0.1 or 0.2 miles) along old jeep road to other creek places where a better flow may be available.

Quote Originally Posted by On Track View Post
    Angel Apple plans to remain at Angel camp (with water) at the Seg 18/19 division until Aug 15.
    I forgot all about him! Enjoy, you'll be in for a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by On Track View Post
    Looks like I'll miss Apple by a few days. Still, I feel better about my water plan now. Chances are I'll carry more than needed since I don't like taking too many risks, but I may change my approach if I get reliable water info from hikers coming the opposite direction (the few that may be hiking Durango to Denver).

If you miss Apple, don't fret too much. There is a reliable spring not too far past where he's camped. It's next to the trail and has a fence all the way around it. Not too far past that (SOBO) is a ton of water. And considering that section 18 is really easy in every way--subtle elevation change, fast road-walking--you won't need to be chugging too much water unless you get unlucky with a really hot day. There are definitely harder dry sections.

++ New Posts ++