WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Crocs or...

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to help much there online. I bought the shoes sometime last year, so no I don't have a tag I can give you an SKU. The shoes have absolutely no brand marking at all. The only markings what so ever are the words "non-marking" molded into the heal in English and Spanish. I've tried looking at Walmart.com, but I can not find the shoes online. However, earlier this summer (as this question has come up before) I did notice that they still carried them then.

The best I can do is to say they are shaped something like these shoes:
    http://www.universal-textiles.com/UK-UT/utfs2212.php
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...andal/35513556
    ...except that the shoe will be solid black and will be made from a single piece of molded plastic much like the croc knockoffs are, and the shoe lace won't actually cinch down like the examples above (they seem to pretty much be for decoration... though I use them with a carabiner to hang them from the back of my pack).
    Go to your local walmart. I found these for $10-$12. They are MUCH lighter than rocks and are amazing camp shoes. I absolutely love them. HooKooDooKu is the one who tipped me off to these. I will post a pick later.

I'm going to say no... just because the shoes I'm talking about do not lace-up, and everything I can find searching for Pro Keds look like tennis shoes or canvas shoes.

Here's another shoe that is similar in shape/style. Notice how the laces don't really lace up? The one's I'm talking about loosen/tighten via a side strap with velcro... sort of like the one pictures, except the velcro is simply strait across rather than folded back on itself like this image.
    oh ok

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    Go to your local walmart. I found these for $10-$12. They are MUCH lighter than rocks and are amazing camp shoes. I absolutely love them. HooKooDooKu is the one who tipped me off to these. I will post a pick later.
    I like the way those look and the price, thanks you both.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Here's a picture of the Walmart shoes.
    shoes.jpg
    While my boot is about a size 10 or 10-1/2, these are a size 9 (sized for tight fit in bare feet for water crossing).

My size 9 weigh 8.4 oz.

The Walmart Croc knockoffs in a size 8 weigh 11.4 oz.

^^ I had and used those for a bit last year. Then I purchased some special limited edition TEVA's at the NOC. Weighs right at 16 ounces. Light and very durable. Strong enough to hike in. Hope these last a long time. The problem with the above Walmart type of footwear is that they do not last long and tend to be bulky. Otherwise, the pair I had were OK. The Tevas I have now are very low volume.

shoes.jpg
    While my boot is about a size 10 or 10-1/2, these are a size 9 (sized for tight fit in bare feet for water crossing).

My size 9 weigh 8.4 oz.

I hang these to the outside of my pack and don't even know they are there. Thank you so much for this tip.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    ^^ I had and used those for a bit last year. Then I purchased some special limited edition TEVA's at the NOC. Weighs right at 16 ounces. Light and very durable. Strong enough to hike in. Hope these last a long time. The problem with the above Walmart type of footwear is that they do not last long and tend to be bulky. Otherwise, the pair I had were OK. The Tevas I have now are very low volume.
    So far, these cheap shoes are holding up well. I've had them for two seasons, and even hiked a couple of miles in them when I've been in an area where there were several stream crossing fairly close together. Of course with such a relatively thin-soft bottom, you feel every stick and rock you step on.

I too simply hang them off one of the small loops on my pack with a tiny carabiner. Not only do they not take up any room in my pack, because they don't absorb water they quickly dry after a water crossing.

Thanks everyone, I use a good pair of tevas right now and am just paranoid I'm carrying too much weight and missing out on the crocs thing (never tried em) the advantage my tevas have is I can hike 10+ miles in them comfortably. I don't think crocs can handle that. Was just curious what other options there were. Ill try crocs but for the extra pound or so to have an extra pair of hiking shoes for wet conditions is always nice. My tevas also seem nearly indestructible. Was just paranoid I'm not being smart about the weight issue.

shoes.jpg

My size 9 weigh 8.4 oz.

I'm gonna look into those, the price is sure right as apposed to Crocs...their espainsive.

I'm not rich so I can't spend 60 bucks or more on camp shoes. You probably don't even need them unless your thru hiking anyway. If I do want camp shoes I usually go with a cheap pair of flip-flops from chinatown. They are stupid light and surprisingly long lasting, and for two dollars a pair, you cant go wrong.

The problem I have with flip-flops is that sometimes sticks poke my feet because they are not enclosed. I usually camp off trail and not at shelters so I probably find myself stumbling through the brush more than most people. An enclosed croc style shoe would be great for me. When I was in VA this spring, some thru hikers put me on to NothinZ, which are lighter and cheaper than Crocs. They are also more rugged and provide better arch-support.

http://www.nothinz.com/diamond-breeze

Do a google search and look around and you can find them for about ten bucks but you won't be able to choose the color.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

One of my main reasons for the shoes is water crossings... and most of the creeks I find myself crossing do NOT have smooth bottoms. The instead have lots of boulders that you could easily get a toe pinched between rocks. So for me, flip-flops do not offer enough protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Tron-Life View Post
    I'm not rich so I can't spend 60 bucks or more on camp shoes.

http://www.nothinz.com/diamond-breeze
    Those are the same price as the Vivobarefoot shoes which are light and can be secured to feet for stream crossing. One could also hike in the Vivo's depending on terrain and pack weight.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

One of my main reasons for the shoes is water crossings... and most of the creeks I find myself crossing do NOT have smooth bottoms. The instead have lots of boulders that you could easily get a toe pinched between rocks. So for me, flip-flops do not offer enough protection.
    Right. That's why I said cheap water shoes, not flipflops. Something like these, but there are seemingly hundreds of models out there and I never seem to get the same brand or style twice.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

shoes.jpg

My size 9 weigh 8.4 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'm gonna look into those, the price is sure right as apposed to Crocs...their espainsive.
    ...had to make a wally world run today...couldn't find em there, they had others, but I didn't care for them.

"Those are the same price as the Vivobarefoot shoes which are light and can be secured to feet for stream crossing. One could also hike in the Vivo's depending on terrain and pack weight."

Well $32 isn't that bad but Nothinz can be found for about $22 on amazon and even cheaper elsewhere and weigh only 6oz at their default size which is probably a men's 9. The Vivo's do look interesting though.

I like the idea of water shoes cause they're cheap and easy to find, but the ones I have used chafe the *&%# out of my feet and weren't that light. The ones Kevin suggest look pretty good though, I'll have to check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tron-Life View Post
    "Those are the same price as the Vivobarefoot shoes which are light and can be secured to feet for stream crossing. One could also hike in the Vivo's depending on terrain and pack weight."

Well $32 isn't that bad but Nothinz can be found for about $22 on amazon and even cheaper elsewhere and weigh only 6oz at their default size which is probably a men's 9. The Vivo's do look interesting though.

I like the idea of water shoes cause they're cheap and easy to find, but the ones I have used chafe the *&%# out of my feet and weren't that light. The ones Kevin suggest look pretty good though, I'll have to check them out.
    Watch www.6pm.com for sales on vivobarefoot. I have two pairs and I believe I paid less than $20 for both of them.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++