WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crocs or...

Default Crocs or...

I see everyone has crocs as a camp shoe for their weight savings. Is there any argument to some more heavy duty tevas or trail sandals for water crossings and hiking in sandals to rest ones feet? Have any through hikers used sandals over crocs or later ditched them for weight? Would love to hear people's opinion on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I'm not a thru but I get out most every weekend---and i ditched my Chacos (like bricks) and Keens for crocs for saving weight...

probably ditch the crocs when they wear out (I only use them for outdoor activities) but I've had em 4 years and they are still going strong..

what would i replace them with? A cheap pair of keen knockoffs from Walmart......I haven't weighed those so not sure I'd really be saving weight but the pair I was looking at were under 15 bucks...

i use the crocs for in camp after I take boots off and for water crossings...

I broke down and asked/hinted for/got gifted a pair of crocs a couple years ago for fathers day, I avoided them cause I thought they were the Bobos of the sandals world, and didn't seem supportive enough, and they're not...but, they work great for camp shoes, prior to that.....my sneakers, they really don't weigh much more than the crocs couple a few oz. per shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I broke down and asked/hinted for/got gifted a pair of crocs a couple years ago for fathers day, I avoided them cause I thought they were the Bobos of the sandals world, and didn't seem supportive enough, and they're not...but, they work great for camp shoes, prior to that.....my sneakers, they really don't weigh much more than the crocs couple a few oz. per shoe.
    Next pair..."Mossy Oak Crocs", those things are bad azz.

Images

Crocs for camp and stream fords. ( rocketsocks ; What makes the MOCS soo kick azz bad ? )
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I recently bought a pair of crocs because I got an incredible deal. At the time I was giving serious consideration to these:

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/ultra-mens

but I haven't found anyone that has owned them.
    --

Hike Safe.

Images

I used to use cheap flip flops, and shunned Crocs like a "real man" would quiche! But found them on sale and figured Id try them and i will tell you them are the most comfortable things I put on my feet. My kids make fun of me because I wear them to the beach, and around the house and on summer weekends. They are friggin ugly as sin though!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Crocs for camp and stream fords. ( rocketsocks ; What makes the MOCS soo kick azz bad ? )
    They'd match my sunglasses, and I just dig earthy tones and grassy patterns...and watching my feet disappear before my eyes, brings back found memories.

I mean look at these things, they are pimp.gif out!images (8).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by A.T.Lt View Post
    I used to use cheap flip flops, and shunned Crocs like a "real man" would quiche! But found them on sale and figured Id try them and i will tell you them are the most comfortable things I put on my feet. My kids make fun of me because I wear them to the beach, and around the house and on summer weekends. They are friggin ugly as sin though!
    Yeah they are!...Bobos fer sure, but yup, I wear em all day long at the house. I don't even own slippers anymore.

I have used both Tevas and Chacos for camp shoes and occasionally as my trail shoe. Tevas are much better than Chacos for this use (lighter and straps feel more secure). However, I received my first pair of Luna Oso sandals in yesterday's mail. While I have yet to use them on the trail, I really like them so far. Extremely light - (Made for trail running) and feel great underfoot. I am still getting used to the straps so, I'll hold off giving them a full endorsement just yet. The Oso is a bit pricey at $100 but I am expecting alot of utility out of this shoe.

http://www.lunasandals.com/collectio...ducts/luna-oso

I have a trip planned 2 weeks from now. I'll let you know how the Oso's performed when I get back.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

For about $12 at WalMart, I found some shoes that are better than croc knockoffs. They look a bit more like the vivobarefeet shoes and even lighter than the croc knockoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    For about $12 at WalMart, I found some shoes that are better than croc knockoffs. They look a bit more like the vivobarefeet shoes and even lighter than the croc knockoffs.
    Yup, no doubt there's better options out there, price, fit, (crocs fit horrible in my opinion, very sloppy, but I still like em) I kinda call anything that is that one piece (ok two pieces really) melted monolithic mega poured chunk of stuff...a Croc. But for the strap though, they're damn near indestructible.

Quote Originally Posted by sympathetic joy View Post
    I recently bought a pair of crocs because I got an incredible deal. At the time I was giving serious consideration to these:

I do and love them. They are more secure on my feet for water crossings and they can be had on sale for a reasonable price.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sympathetic joy View Post

People here in the forum have reported using them and loved them. A bit more pricey than croc and other cheap options available at WalMart.
    But anyone interested in these need to look for the ultra pure over the ultra. The difference is that the ultra comes with a removable sock. The ultra pure excludes the sock and is $25 cheaper.

People here in the forum have reported using them and loved them. A bit more pricey than croc and other cheap options available at WalMart.
    But anyone interested in these need to look for the ultra pure over the ultra. The difference is that the ultra comes with a removable sock. The ultra pure excludes the sock and is $25 cheaper.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers.
    --

Hike Safe.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHole View Post
    I see everyone has crocs as a camp shoe....
    Not everyone has Crocs, nor does everyone carry camp shoes. Some wear light running shoes that dry quickly after water crossings, and are comfortable enough for both hiking and resting.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Section Hiker

My camp shoes are Skechers flip flops--one piece CCF like Crocs but way lighter and less bulky; they come in men's and women's. For water crossing: remove socks and insoles, put shoes back on, cross, remove shoes, put pack towel around foot, put in shoe (soaks up water), repeat other shoe, put insoles back in, sock on, feet in and go!

Here are my flip flops:
    http://www.skechers.com/style/11748/beaching-it/hpk

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I own the Vivobarefoot ultras and use them as camp shoes.

If I am car camping, I actually prefer my Skechers GoWalk slip ons. They're about 11oz for the pair and are super comfy.

But for backpacking, at 6.5 ounces for the pair, the Vivobarefoots are the lightest non-flip flop option I've found so far. They are pretty minimalist -- you can def feel sharp rocks and stuff right through the bottom, but they've held up pretty well and are great for water crossings, as shower shoes, etc.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Journal Entries

Crocs are ugly, but they solved my plantar fasciitis problem, and having that is really ugly.

I have the ultra pure and like them a lot. Very light, packable, easy to slip on and off, comfortable with socks or without, and they tighten down to stay on my feet in water. The only thing I liked better about the crocs I used to carry was that they are better insulated against the ground in cold weather when wearing as camp shoes. I was wearing my vibros on top of Mt. Rogers last year when temps dropped to around 20*, and I couldn't stand outside for very long because the rocks were sucking the heat out of my feet. Felt like I was standing barefoot on top of a glacier. Pricey, but worth it for me.
    -tagg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++