WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crocs or...

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

I have used Crocs as camp shoes since 2005, If it aint broke...
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

On my thru's i used Teva Sandals in the warmer months to hike in and around camp other than that i don't use camp shoes.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Yeah they are!...Bobos fer sure, but yup, I wear em all day long at the house. I don't even own slippers anymore.
    I'm kicking it in the house wearing mine as well.

FWIW, my Crocs let my feet dry out during a couple rainy days in the Roan highlands. Kept me from having to put on wet shoes to hit the woodline/privy or get water. As I'm definitely not one who likes to walk barefoot in shelters or on the ground, they were indeispensable.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    I'm kicking it in the house wearing mine as well.

FWIW, my Crocs let my feet dry out during a couple rainy days in the Roan highlands. Kept me from having to put on wet shoes to hit the woodline/privy or get water. As I'm definitely not one who likes to walk barefoot in shelters or on the ground, they were indeispensable.
    There nice first thing in the morning on the trail when nature calls (especially when your older and may have flow start and stop issues )...no fumbling with laces.

There nice first thing in the morning on the trail when nature calls (especially when your older and may have flow start and stop issues )...no fumbling with laces.
    forgot the pee bottle that trip. and the crocs.

I use some knockoff crocs called doggers for camp shoes, water crossings, and canoe trips. They are super light, and tough. Plus they float!
    My wife has been rocking the same pair pretty much daily for the last two years. Got them at an Amish run store for $6 a pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    For about $12 at WalMart, I found some shoes that are better than croc knockoffs. They look a bit more like the vivobarefeet shoes and even lighter than the croc knockoffs.
    Brand name, model? SKU#? Anything?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I have used both Tevas and Chacos for camp shoes and occasionally as my trail shoe. Tevas are much better than Chacos for this use (lighter and straps feel more secure). However, I received my first pair of Luna Oso sandals in yesterday's mail. While I have yet to use them on the trail, I really like them so far. Extremely light - (Made for trail running) and feel great underfoot. I am still getting used to the straps so, I'll hold off giving them a full endorsement just yet. The Oso is a bit pricey at $100 but I am expecting alot of utility out of this shoe.

http://www.lunasandals.com/collectio...ducts/luna-oso

I have a trip planned 2 weeks from now. I'll let you know how the Oso's performed when I get back.
    Recently I wore a pair of Leadville Pacers during my LT thru. When the footbed became covered in mud I found my feet would slide around for a few minutes until the mud dried. The Pacers have the same MGT footbed the OSOs have. Other than that I really enjoyed them.

Keen now makes some light weight sandals, weight about one pound. Great for clipping onto the pack. Worked well as stream crossing shoes and camp shoes. They did not work well as trail shoes, feet got sore. But, for camp and fording shoes they worked great. Believe the model is Clearwater CNX Sandals.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHole View Post
    I see everyone has crocs as a camp shoe for their weight savings. Is there any argument to some more heavy duty tevas or trail sandals for water crossings and hiking in sandals to rest ones feet? Have any through hikers used sandals over crocs or later ditched them for weight? Would love to hear people's opinion on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't do Crocs. Tried them. Like to kilt my frets. Never again.
    Multi-functional Keen or Teva sandals for me.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I use cheap water shoes from Dick's or a discount shoe place for water crossings and camp shoes. I don't always bring them, but usually appreciate them when I do. They're not durable, but I generally wear them only for stream crossings and nighttime calls of nature.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

GA --ME; and then some... Okie Dokie's Avatar

Nike Aqua Socks...very light, durable...great secure traction for fords...breathable, quick drying...great camp shoes...worth checking out...used them on my thru years ago...still using the same pair on rainy mornings to go get the newspaper...
    We shout out "I exist!", and it stirs not the slightest sense of obligation from the universe...

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I've moved to the Vivo Barefoots, but I detached the inner booty to cut the weight for two men's size 10's to 4.5 ounces total. They are more like slippers offering minimal protection from pointy rocks, unlike Crocs, but they are about 7 ounces lighter and much, much easier to pack. I've taken to wearing my non-GTX boots through stream crossings, so these are solely for camp. For my cooler weather hikes I will supplement them with a plastic bag over my dry camp socks.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    For about $12 at WalMart, I found some shoes that are better than croc knockoffs. They look a bit more like the vivobarefeet shoes and even lighter than the croc knockoffs.
    Brand name, model? SKU#? Anything?
    I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to help much there online. I bought the shoes sometime last year, so no I don't have a tag I can give you an SKU. The shoes have absolutely no brand marking at all. The only markings what so ever are the words "non-marking" molded into the heal in English and Spanish. I've tried looking at Walmart.com, but I can not find the shoes online. However, earlier this summer (as this question has come up before) I did notice that they still carried them then.

The best I can do is to say they are shaped something like these shoes:
    http://www.universal-textiles.com/UK-UT/utfs2212.php
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...andal/35513556
    ...except that the shoe will be solid black and will be made from a single piece of molded plastic much like the croc knockoffs are, and the shoe lace won't actually cinch down like the examples above (they seem to pretty much be for decoration... though I use them with a carabiner to hang them from the back of my pack).
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 07-27-2014 at 00:14.

I've tried looking at Walmart.com, but I can not find the shoes online
    Yeah, that's where I was looking. But thanks for the description; I'll try to find them in a nearby store.

I can't stand flip flops, never tried Crocs, but I do like my pair of slides that weigh maybe 5 ounces. Good for around camp and for showers.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie View Post
    Nike Aqua Socks...very light, durable...great secure traction for fords...breathable, quick drying...great camp shoes...worth checking out...used them on my thru years ago...still using the same pair on rainy mornings to go get the newspaper...
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to get out with "cheap water shoes from Dick's" except that mine are often an off brand rather than Nike.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

For camp shoes during various hikes, I have brought the following: Flip Flops, Teva's, Keens, Crocs.

Preferable to me? Crocs. Reason? Closed toe - prevents stick between the toes when I go to privy at night. Easy to slip on. Does not slip off if I need to go up/down hill to water source or privy.

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to help much there online. I bought the shoes sometime last year, so no I don't have a tag I can give you an SKU. The shoes have absolutely no brand marking at all. The only markings what so ever are the words "non-marking" molded into the heal in English and Spanish. I've tried looking at Walmart.com, but I can not find the shoes online. However, earlier this summer (as this question has come up before) I did notice that they still carried them then.

The best I can do is to say they are shaped something like these shoes:
    http://www.universal-textiles.com/UK-UT/utfs2212.php
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...andal/35513556
    ...except that the shoe will be solid black and will be made from a single piece of molded plastic much like the croc knockoffs are, and the shoe lace won't actually cinch down like the examples above (they seem to pretty much be for decoration... though I use them with a carabiner to hang them from the back of my pack).

...are you talkin about those Rubber lace-up Pro Keds lookin' things that someone posted last year...can't find em either. Musta looked through 800 images...nodda.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

...are you talkin about those Rubber lace-up Pro Keds lookin' things that someone posted last year...
    I'm going to say no... just because the shoes I'm talking about do not lace-up, and everything I can find searching for Pro Keds look like tennis shoes or canvas shoes.

Here's another shoe that is similar in shape/style. Notice how the laces don't really lace up? The one's I'm talking about loosen/tighten via a side strap with velcro... sort of like the one pictures, except the velcro is simply strait across rather than folded back on itself like this image.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++