WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water around Mcafee and Tinker

Headed up to Mcafee and Tinker next weekend and I have heard that the water is scarce up there right now. Anyone been through in the last week or so that can confirm? Thanks.

The only water sources is at the shelters you will pass in route and they should be flowing fine, their is NO water sources on Mcafee Knob or Tinker cliffs.

If you go a couple of miles north of Tinker, Lambert's Meadow shelter has a reliable creek.

Red-Dog I know there's no water on Mcafee or Tinker themselves but I had heard that there was no water at Catawba shelter, very little at Campbell shelter and little at Lambert's Meadow shelter. Wasn't sure if anyone could confirm that? Just want to make sure I carry enough water.

I was there a couple of weeks ago. I hiked McAfee Knob as a day hike so I don't know about water on the trail. I do know that locals have been been leaving water for hikers at the VA311 crossing (road before going up to McAfee Knob), so you can look there too if you need to refill, but you can't count on it.

I think it's funny that this thread sit for two days with no response but soon as i post their's three others right behind me.

This thread is only three hours old.

Images

I hiked McAfee on 7/30 and Catawba spring was dry as a bone.

Thanks Kingbee

I'm planning to stay around Campbell shelter and then Lambert Meadow. Any idea on water there? I know Lambert usually has a reliable spring?

water is at Campbell and lambert

Thanks mtntopper

++ New Posts ++