WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Missing 411 interview (Interview about missing persons in National and State parks)

This might not be new to people but I found it quite interesting. Vibes Man shared it with me and I am passing it along.

Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

ive interview this guy.........and had an intenstive talk with him as well.........and read the book..........

my conclusion---the guy is a nut case...

keep in mind----he's also searching for bigfoot.....

he was basically rehashing information and never really came to a conclusion about missing hikers and what not......

But what happened to them? I understand that the guy sounds like a nut. I also understand that people have gone missing and NEVER found. Like Dennis Martin in 1969 on spence field. That is what Im interested in is do people think that just like inchworm, did this people just poof into thin air, or did Dennis Martin get snatched and imagine what the ride was like out of Cades Cove with some wack job, if he made it that far alive...but if not, what happened to him, and how many other people have the same exact story..

a.k.a. - "Jethro Tull" on the AT Vibes Man's Avatar

The facts are that these people have gone missing from State and National Parks and never found again. There's a small percentage who may not want to be found. But, not a majority of them would just run off. People do go missing from urban areas, too. But, those cases stay open until the body is found. Paulides is simply pointing out that the U.S. National Park Service tries to keep these cases quiet because they don't want the bad press to ruin their Smokey The Bear image with families. The important thing is that the publication of these cases just may educate a few people and protect them from suffering a similar fate.
    ...with lives on the line where dreams are found and lost
    I'll be there on time and I'll pay the cost
    For wanting things that can only be found
    In the darkness on the edge of town

Well said, I personally, like many others would just like to see what actually happened, I believe Dennis Martin is so interesting to me because I have been there, and live so close to it. I can relate to the area so I am interested.

Images

here's a story about dennis martin that one of my guys did recently that you may enjoy.........

But, those cases stay open until the body is found. Paulides is simply pointing out that the U.S. National Park Service tries to keep these cases quiet because they don't want the bad press to ruin their Smokey The Bear image with families

in all my dealings with the NPS, and with missing person cases, i dont find this to be true.......i have never seen/witness them trying to keep a case quiet....

that just isnt the case.....

(and yes, ive dealt with quite a few missing and/or rescue cases in the GSMNP).......

Images

sorry forgot to include link........

http://www.wbir.com/longform/news/lo...years/9405607/

I do believe there are many mysteries out there and I do think there is something to the bigfoot phenomenon. However, when looking at these issues you kind of have to be careful when gathering info from certain sources, such as the mainstream media, but also you gotta really be careful of the conspiracy theorists, such as found on shows like Coast to Coast AM and Ancient Astronaut theorists, but on the flip side I ignore people from the skeptical society http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Skeptics_Society both the conspiracists and "skeptics" are equally a bunch of nuts; they are just different sides of the same coin.

I see this guy as just another conspiracists.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibes Man View Post
    The facts are that these people have gone missing from State and National Parks and never found again. There's a small percentage who may not want to be found. But, not a majority of them would just run off. People do go missing from urban areas, too. But, those cases stay open until the body is found. Paulides is simply pointing out that the U.S. National Park Service tries to keep these cases quiet because they don't want the bad press to ruin their Smokey The Bear image with families. The important thing is that the publication of these cases just may educate a few people and protect them from suffering a similar fate.
    ....DB Cooper didn't want to be found.... seems to have worked too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    But what happened to them? I understand that the guy sounds like a nut. I also understand that people have gone missing and NEVER found. Like Dennis Martin in 1969 on spence field. That is what Im interested in is do people think that just like inchworm, did this people just poof into thin air, or did Dennis Martin get snatched and imagine what the ride was like out of Cades Cove with some wack job, if he made it that far alive...but if not, what happened to him, and how many other people have the same exact story..
    I think I read somewhere, maybe the NPS or USCG case study, that Dennis Martin had a slight learning disability. It could have been a mild form of what we call now Autism as those kids are very prone to running off. Heck, just about ever SAR class I have been a part of for the last couple of years has really focused on Autism kids. I think if you read into it you will see that they sort of don't want to be found as they hide from searchers.

In any event I would love to find out what happens to these folks that disappear.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Journal Entries
    Images

Some might just be an old fashion native american suicide. They can no longer live the life they want to live. Find an isolated place and lay down and die.

Last time I checked 6 year old boys playing hide and seek don’t really have Native American Suicide on their mind. These people literally disappear and are searched for within hours or minutes of disappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Last time I checked 6 year old boys playing hide and seek don’t really have Native American Suicide on their mind. These people literally disappear and are searched for within hours or minutes of disappearing.
    I believe he's talking about in the big picture...

There's supposedly a forest area in Japan, at the base of Mt Fuji, where people go to kill themselves http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aokigahara

I am familiar with the concept, I first learned about it in the Novel Camanche Moon by Larry McMurtry. And I believe everyone has their right to opinion. I believe that there are uninvestigated crimes of kidnapping and serial killings in our national and state lands.

Images

The GSMNP has a few suicides in it every year.............and i would think that is common for some of the more popular parks (yellowstone, yosemite)....

And while this one hasnt been confirmed as a suicide---as his body has not been found yet----that what most people think it is...

http://archive.wbir.com/news/article...in-the-Smokies

[QUOTE][I see this guy as just another conspiracists./QUOTE]

and i agree with this about david paulides........

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I believe he's talking about in the big picture...

There's supposedly a forest area in Japan, at the base of Mt Fuji, where people go to kill themselves http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aokigahara
    That is true. I didn't check the link, but I was on a month long field op at Camp Fuji (not actually on the mountain) while I was stationed in Japan and we got to hike up to the summit to see the sunrise on Fuji. It was amazing. Back to the story, though... driving up to the point we hiked from, we had to go through this forest. My SNCO is married to a lady from Japan and told us about it. Apparently people go there and sometimes bring wealth in the form of jewelry or cash with them when they kill themselves (usually by hanging, from what he said). This leads to robbers stalking the forest as well, making the forest a very haunting place (if you believe in that sort of thing) and also dangerous. It gave me the chills thinking about that while driving through. Not a hike I'd like to take.

++ New Posts ++