WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Temporary Relo in Vermont - Please follow signs

Construction crews have begun replacement of the bridge washed out during Tropical Storm Irene over Sargent Brook on the Clement Shelter Road (nobo miles 1685.0 to 1686.4, about 5 1/2 miles north of Clarendon Gorge, 10 miles south of Rutland).

A new temporary relocation is in place around the constructions. Please follow the signs; you'll have to retrace your steps if you follow the previous route (white blazes may still be in place). It is slightly longer, but is easier walking along shade-covered gravel roads. It is the official route of the A.T. during this construction period.

To keep hikers safe and away from heavy machinery at the construction site, a signed temporary trail relo follows Upper Cold River Road to Gilman Road to Clement Shelter Road. The trailhead on Clement Shelter Road was moved 0.1m west with a new footpath to keep hikers from the construction.

The total temporary relocation is 1.7 miles, which is 0.3 longer than the former route, but easy walking along shade-covered gravel roads.
    For safety reasons, northbound hikers who do not follow the signed detour and reach the construction site will be asked to retrace their steps back to Upper Cold River Road (an extra 1.2m total).

More details can be found at http://greenmountainclub.org/news.php?id=258 (under “Long Trail” / Shrewsbury).

Laurie Potteiger
    Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Images

This detour is 4 miles north of VT103...home of the hiker favorite Whistle Stop Restaurant.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Jeff,

I was going to email you, but of course, you're already on top of it. Thanks for saving me a message!

- Laurie

Default Thanks to Mrs. Gorp

Thanks to Cindy Taylor-Miller (Mrs. Gorp) for providing most of this information. She's a volunteer with the Green Mountain Club, and a 3x 2,000-miler.

they do it right in Vermont! Great state for the AT and of course the LT.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

++ New Posts ++