WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Doping and hiking

I've been watching the Tour de France for the last 3 weeks. Happy to say no doping alligations.
    I contend that cycling is one of the cleanest sport because of the amount of testing.
    American baseball and football can do anything they want because they are not tested. Are still doing steroids
    Cyclists stopped that 20 yrs. ago
    So my questions is have you heard of any performance enhancing drugs being used on the trail, ibuprophin excluded. or large amounts of caffine.
    I've heard of things like marijuana and alcohol as non-enhancing drugs

I've seen people predicting more record attempts on the long trails. I imagine it COULD get that competitive?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    ..I contend that cycling is one of the cleanest sport because of the amount of testing.
    ...Cyclists stopped that 20 yrs. ago..
    Surely, you jest!

Naw, haven't heard anything, but I'm not exactly in the know...

No money in hiking. When speed hiking becomes a money sport, people will cheat.

What was the name of that woman who did the AT in a stupid quick time? She was crying through shin splints & terrible period pains...
    she did it a year or two ago. I know she was in the national media.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankytyke View Post
    What was the name of that woman who did the AT in a stupid quick time? She was crying through shin splints & terrible period pains...
    she did it a year or two ago. I know she was in the national media.
    Why bring up an individuals name in this thread? We all know what her name is but please don't call out people you don't even know.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

This is obviously a 12 a.m. Sat night/Sun morning question.

One thing is for sure. If Pop Tarts and Snickers are deemed banned performance enhancing drugs by a hiking oversight committee than there are going to be quite a few of you AT hikers having your 2000 Mile Certificates invalidated.

When so many of the merchants carrying those Stinger brand Energy Waffles with Lance's picture on the wrapper sought to distance themselves from the possible negative publicity backlash when he was found doping by unloading them at a steep discount I made out like a bandit buying up 200 of them at various outdoor locations. Notice the new wrappers are void of Lance's pic. Those things are like candy. Delish!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    This is obviously a 12 a.m. Sat night/Sun morning question.

One thing is for sure. If Pop Tarts and Snickers are deemed banned performance enhancing drugs by a hiking oversight committee than there are going to be quite a few of you AT hikers having your 2000 Mile Certificates invalidated.

When so many of the merchants carrying those Stinger brand Energy Waffles with Lance's picture on the wrapper sought to distance themselves from the possible negative publicity backlash when he was found doping by unloading them at a steep discount I made out like a bandit buying up 200 of them at various outdoor locations. Notice the new wrappers are void of Lance's pic. Those things are like candy. Delish!
    Man, you gotta it bad, that's how it all starts...a good deal.

1-800-stingfree

Thanks moytoy.

Images

Where do you draw the line with steroids? Is corticosteroids okay? Wouldn't it be an unfair advantage if someone used them to heal their blisters and sunburn faster? What about injections to help injuries to heal faster, specifically, joints?

Whatever, I don't care if people use them. Hell, with my troublesome ankle, I wouldn't mind using steroids if it meant finishing long hikes without limping. What others think doesn't really matter unless they're sponsoring me or buying my books.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Where do you draw the line with steroids? Is corticosteroids okay? Wouldn't it be an unfair advantage if someone used them to heal their blisters and sunburn faster? What about injections to help injuries to heal faster, specifically, joints?

Whatever, I don't care if people use them. Hell, with my troublesome ankle, I wouldn't mind using steroids if it meant finishing long hikes without limping. What others think doesn't really matter unless they're sponsoring me or buying my books.
    hmmm, interesting point, I never thought of it that deep.

If I told you what I used, I would be admitting to breaking the law.

Admitting to breaking the law is not allowed on WB.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    If I told you what I used, I would be admitting to breaking the law.

Admitting to breaking the law is not allowed on WB.
    I didn't know eye of newt with a dash a pig platelets was illegal.

Headline: "Freeze dried Meal meals are loaded with ... and are therefore banned from Competitive Back packing. Food Co Ops to appeal ruling."
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

i take Flonase, its a steroid. does that count?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Bacon may be the ultimate Performance-Destroying Drug as on my last several trips I met several middle aged backpackers telling me of their heart stents and surgeries which they attributed to their previous high-fat diet. Just something to consider.

Images

I pulled a neck muscle during my thru-hike and got a steroid shot for the pain. I couldn't get enough of the pointless climbs for a few days afterwards. Sure would be nice if our bodies felt that great without having to take drugs.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hiking is not a sport. Hiking is for fun. Lets never forget that fact. People may set goals but hiking is a vacation not a money thing never will be, no fan base. No fan base no money.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Hiking is not a sport. Hiking is for fun. Lets never forget that fact. People may set goals but hiking is a vacation not a money thing never will be, no fan base. No fan base no money.
    But there does seem to be a tremendous fascination with high daily mileages and a drooling obsession with ultralight packs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++