WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool First "unintentional" Overnight Hike on AT Trip Report

TRIP REPORT: I did a section of the AT this weekend. Woody Gap (21 miles from Springer) to Neels Gap (31.7 miles) and back to Woody Gap. I wanted to do it as a day hike. With side trails, it would have been about 22+ mile hike. It was my first time on AT with a full pack (35lbs). I've been exclusively a day hiker prior to this.

I started late because Thr night slept 2 hrs. Friday night I slept 4 hrs. I finally feel asleep at 3:30 am and woke up at 7:45. I wanted to be at the trail no later than 8:30 am. I got there at 10am.

I started at Woody Gap (21 miles) at approximately 10:15am. I made it to summit of Blood mt (29.3 miles) at approximately 2 pm. Messed around at the top for a bit and made it down to Neels Gap (31.7 miles) at about 3 pm. Made it back to summit of Blood Mt. (29.3 miles) 4:30 pm. I was officially starting to feel tired at this point, with drop in miles my miles per hour. Messed around for a little more and started descending Blood Mt. Got to Slaughter Creek (28.5 miles) for water resupply taking me to about 5:15 pm. Made it to Jarrard Gap (26.7 miles) at 6 pm. I got a second wind here and my miles per hour had a significant jump. Made it to Dockery Lake (23.9 miles) at 7:40 pm. I am officially zombie hiking at this point. I consider stopping here for night. I decided my car is 3 miles away. I got this. No quitting. I still have 1.5 hours of sunlight. I got this. I continue hiking. I notice I am going up . . . and up . . . and up .. . and up for a long time. I am dead tired. Another 1/2 a mile I pull out my AT guide and I notice it is all up hill for next 1.5 miles. I was deflated and losing light. I push on for another .3 miles and I see 4 guys setting up camp and they had a fire. I talked to them briefly and they (and my body) convinced me to call it a day. I had blisters, but nothing to awful. I've had worse, but they bothered me. Knees a little sore, but fine. My shoulders and traps though. Dear god, putting that pack down for the last time that day was an amazing feeling. It felt better than the summit of Big Ceder Mt. and Blood Mt. combined! I camped there for the night, and I was happy I did because we enjoyed talking around the fire pit until about 10 pm. We were all tired. They were on day 2 of a section hike of Springer to Neels Gap. We went to sleep. I did not sleep. . . at least not well and not until 4-5 am. We "woke" up 7:30. No breakfast. Packed up and I was on my way. Said goodbye and goodluck. I had about 2.2 miles left. Of which, 1.2 was straight up. I did the up easily enough. However, the last mile was the a brutal descent which took me forever. I went slow, my blisters were killing me. I HATE rocky step descents. I also stopped and talked to some day hikers who asked me for directions. I arrived at my car just shy of 10:00 am.

Day 1: 18.3 miles. a little under 10 hrs. Average hiking speed 1.8 miles per hour, including all stops.
    Day 2: 2.2 miles. 1.45 hrs.

Overall amazing hiking. A little easier from Woody to Neels than Neels to Woody, but that may just be the difference of having just started vs just finished. Plenty of water sources at for the first 3ish miles after woody, then fairly dry until base of blood Mt. I was very disappointed in myself that I didn't finish it as a day hike, but overall I was happy I stopped and shared a campfire with those no longer strangers.

All smiles!

Virginia Tortoise

It sounds like you had an adventure. Glad you made it back, though it was the next day. When I sectioned that area I got caught in a sudden snow storm in March going NOBO up Blood Mountain. Stayed at Woods Hole Shelter and had early signs of Hypothermia. So the next day I took the Freeman Trail around Blood Mountain to Neel Gap where I got the best sleeping bag and some synthetic clothing to better wick away moisture.

Going back on the trail at Woody Gap where I left off last year when my knee gave out. Found out it is arthritis. I was trying to go too fast from Springer to Woody Gap. I will take it slower this October as I want to finish the Ga. section then.
    Grey Ghost

The descents are what usually get me (as I sit here icing my knee from a recent AT outing here in NJ...). Regardless, it sounds like a great time and a good reminder of the importance of preparation. Sometimes a day hike can turn into an unexpected overnighter. No matter how short my planned hike, I always pack the 10 essentials including a bit of extra food, lifestraw or Sawyer Mini with a couple of collapsible Platy bottles, emergency bivy, and headlamp. Not much extra weight or volume, and if a day hike turns into an overnighter, I know I'd be fine.
    Last edited by Offshore; 07-27-2014 at 17:17.

I did the same hike this weekend but in reverse. Started Friday night at Neels and spent the night on top of Blood Mtn. Saturday I went from Blood to Woody Gap and back to Neels.

I passed you at least once, maybe twice. I got to Woody Gap between 10 and 11 and turned around. Back at Blood around 4:15-4:30.

Awesome weekend, just a little warm. I did a personal best 18.6 miles Saturday with a fully loaded pack, not counting the .5 miles from Neels to the parking lot down the road. So over 19 miles in one day - my feet were a little sore.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

and you FINALLY got to use your tent and test your overnight gear out.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I've thought that, for a hiker, "first unintended overnight" is a bigger milestone than "first overnight," but hitting them both on the same trip - that's quite a happening! Glad you made it back the better for the experience, and still raring to go!
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

yeah, he took his brand new tent and ALL his gear, to test his limits....

apparently it was 18.5 miles out of 21miles.... which is REALLY good considering he's only been using his light day pack for all his hikes.

Glad you enjoyed your first full pack trip. You had a very nice day weather wise to hike.

How was the water running at the Slaughter Creek Trail intersection? I have not been over there for a month and that spring often goes dry by August.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Glad you enjoyed your first full pack trip. You had a very nice day weather wise to hike.

How was the water running at the Slaughter Creek Trail intersection? I have not been over there for a month and that spring often goes dry by August.
    There was a decent stream yesterday. Didn't look like it was in danger of drying up just yet.

That was a pretty ambitious plan for a first backpacking trip. I'm glad you had the gear to spend the night and good weather. Chances are if you were on a multi day trip you would have been miserable from the second day on. Address those blisters early in the hike before they become a problem. Good job man.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

and luckily he knew when to "stop".

He made it 18.5 out of 21 miles..... 2.5 isn't THAT far. But luckily he knew to just stop instead of risking it.

Pain is Pain... But if you push it past pain, that coulda been an injury.

A couple weeks ago I did a section in central VA. I was trying to do 12 miles per day, but my knee gradually got worse each day. My day 2 was a bit like yours. I thought about pushing on to the next shelter, but my legs felt like rubber. So I decided to camp on the top of Sinking Creek Mtn instead of trying that last big descent to the next shelter with the last bit of daylight. Fortunately I had packed enough water to dry camp so that was a good decision. Next day I had to push on to Trout Creek even though my knee really hurt. That stretch was dry and I had to get to the next creek for water. Also learned to take into account elevation gain/loss and water sources in addition to miles. Good news that my knee was just some inflammation and it got better right away with a little rest.

Quote Originally Posted by No Directions View Post
    That was a pretty ambitious plan for a first backpacking trip. I'm glad you had the gear to spend the night and good weather. Chances are if you were on a multi day trip you would have been miserable from the second day on. Address those blisters early in the hike before they become a problem. Good job man.

I have a few blisters to say the least. I've had worse, but they are painful nonetheless. I have to learn how to treat them.

In an very long day hike, I developed a blood blister and 3 other blisters. I've never had such painful blisters. I didn't use hiking boots or shoes. I wore cotton socks. It was a miserable couple of days after that. This last trip I had Merino wool liner socks and wool hiking socks. I also had new hiking boots I was breaking in. (maybe they were cause of blisters?) I was told that liner + wool really helps with blisters and it did, but it does not prevent them. At least they aren't near as bad.

If I had to hike today, I'd say 10-12 miles is my max. I would probably have made my blisters much worse. In my normal life, I never pop blisters, but on AT I wont have a choice. How do you actually treat the blisters out on the AT? I need to learn that before my planned 4 day hike. Any instructions anyone? Like instructions for someone who has absolutely no clue.

Also should I remember where my blisters are from this trip and pre-tape those areas just in case. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Next week I plan to Springer to Woody gap as overnight if I can get someone to join and leave a car parked at both trail heads. Otherwise, I may just do Springer to Horse Gap and back one weekend and Woody Gap to Horse Gap another weekend.

Anyways thanks everyone for the comments and support. If you have any knowledge, please don't hesitate to impart that knowledge. I am sorely lacking.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    I did the same hike this weekend but in reverse. Started Friday night at Neels and spent the night on top of Blood Mtn. Saturday I went from Blood to Woody Gap and back to Neels.

I passed you at least once, maybe twice. I got to Woody Gap between 10 and 11 and turned around. Back at Blood around 4:15-4:30.

Awesome weekend, just a little warm. I did a personal best 18.6 miles Saturday with a fully loaded pack, not counting the .5 miles from Neels to the parking lot down the road. So over 19 miles in one day - my feet were a little sore.
    Congrats on the millage! I've learned that anything above 15-16 is pretty impressive.

I know the feeling of sore feet. I got a few blisters and numerous tender/hot spots all over my feet. I also had some chaffing issues which I only noticed when I set up camp and especially next morning. Joints a little sore, but overall ok.

I don't know how often you make it up to AT. I go about twice a month. My next planned trip is Springer to Woody Gap. I'd like to push myself and do it as a day hike, but I may just end up stopping at Justus Creek (14.4 miles) or Blackwell Creek (15.5 miles) (not including the .9 miles of back hiking to springer). Finish up the rest on Sunday if needed.

I also got a smaller portion of the Georgia Bartram Trail Planned in 2 weeks.

I can't wait for the weekend!

If I had to hike today, I'd say 10-12 miles is my max.

So----you still up for doing four days of 21.5 miles each day?

Quote Originally Posted by spoonfan View Post
    So----you still up for doing four days of 21.5 miles each day?
    LOL, eating those words a little right now. I was probably a little harsh on myself. I can't imagine having a 10+ hr hike day and not do 15 miles. But yea, that 21.5 x 4 prediction will have to change. After this last like, I am very confident I can do four 15 -16 mile days though.

And remember, this was my first day with a pack. First day with trekking poles, which I love btw. Extra propulsion. I don't really use them for weight bearing at all. I just put the poles behind me and push my way to the goal. I also had an hour of daylight left when I stopped. If I started when I wanted to start, I would have had an additional 2 hours. I would most definitely have made it back to my car (~ 2.3 miles) with time to cook a meal before I left.

I also need to learn how to treat blisters.

Hopefully the next trip (hopefully this upcoming weekend) is a little better. I got some room for improvement.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I also need to learn how to treat blisters..
    You need to learn to prevent them. By the time you're treating one, it's too late to avoid a lot of pain.

At the very least, if you have known recurring trouble spots, duct tape them before you start out. But recurring hot spots are caused by something else, most likely boots that don't fit properly or aren't laced right.

And ... why the big miles? Are you in a hurry to get somewhere? Take a few longer breaks (change your socks when you do and let the ones you're wearing air out), do some photography or even just some lallygagging, Don't wind up with blisters that you can't walk with, and even more important, don't blow out your knees!

(But don't believe me, I'm a clueless weekender.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

he wasnts to try as much of the georgia section (78miles) as he can during Labor Day weekend... friday, saturday, sunday, part of monday.

(He may not get another 4 days of free-time to hike the trail again, after that. So this is his big chance)

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    You need to learn to prevent them. By the time you're treating one, it's too late to avoid a lot of pain.

At the very least, if you have known recurring trouble spots, duct tape them before you start out. But recurring hot spots are caused by something else, most likely boots that don't fit properly or aren't laced right.

And ... why the big miles? Are you in a hurry to get somewhere? Take a few longer breaks (change your socks when you do and let the ones you're wearing air out), do some photography or even just some lallygagging, Don't wind up with blisters that you can't walk with, and even more important, don't blow out your knees!

(But don't believe me, I'm a clueless weekender.)
    I do plan to bring 2 pairs of liners and 3 pairs of hiking socks in addition to 1 camp socks. I did have brand new boots, which I hope I broke in a little.

Why big days? I work a lot. When I get an opportunity to drive up to mountains, I want to carpe the diem.

@ Ricky, I have given up getting to GA line in 4 days. My pride will take a huge hit, but that is lunacy with a 35 lb pack. At least at my current level it is undoable. Dicks Creek Gap may even be out of my reach in 4 days, and it literally hurts me to admit that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++