WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Steripen Reccomendations

Hello all, I am looking at getting a new steripen for my chuck hike of the South Island of the Te Araroa this winter. For my AT Thru in 2012 I used the Freedom which worked really well but now I see there is also a rechargable Ultra that actually has controls so that the unit won't turn on by itself.

here's links for the Freedom:
    http://www.amazon.com/SteriPEN-Freed.../dp/B005HG3VYE

And the Ultra:
    http://www.amazon.com/SteriPen-Hydro...GEQ6G5RAGRMWZG

Does anyone have any expirience with the Ultra and how they liked it??

Maybe more generally I am currious why the hiking community hasn't embraced Steripens as a water purification method? I know they have some hiccups but they still work really well for me; much lighter than filters and don't make water taste like a swimming pool.
    Cheers
    CatNap

Most people avoid steripens because they have a bad reputation for being unreliable. Most of the issues are with older Classics and their contacts giving the dreaded redlight error.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CornerCreek27 View Post
    Maybe more generally I am currious why the hiking community hasn't embraced Steripens as a water purification method? I know they have some hiccups but they still work really well for me; much lighter than filters and don't make water taste like a swimming pool.
    First of all, Steripen does not purify the water. It only disinfects the water. The water will still contain any chemical contaminates and suspended solids.
    Second, most hikers will not be encountering water sourced that are contaminated with virus. As such, most any of the water filters available 'will do'.
    Third, there are cheaper solutions. With the Sawyer Mini available in WalMart (and other sources) for <$20, I think it is going to become a game changer in the industry.

So the only times I would even consider a Steripen would be if I was hiking somewhere I needed to worry about virus contamination or hiking in sub-freezing weather (most, but not all, other water filters must be protected from freezing).
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 07-28-2014 at 15:56.

Journal Entries

The Freedom starting all by itself issue can be compensated for by drying off the metal contacts (as best as you can) after each use.

Additionally, in cold temps it is helpful to have the freedom in a pocket (getting body heat) to ensure a good start.

As for why it is not more embraced, I think part of the reason is that they are not really designed with the hiking community as their primary market and the design is more for worldly travel.

i figured this is how the forum might have turned out. I never minded floaters in my water and simply just want to get rid of the giardia etc. from possible excrement in the water. I would like to try the new sawyer models but don't want to fiddle with water bladders, dirty bottles and all. I see that the Ultra model of the steripen uses on/off switches so that there are (I believe) no diodes to get wet, a plus mark for this model.

But I guess nobody out there has tried the Ultra to give it a review?
    CatNap
    CatNap
    GA-ME

I started using a steripen last year. I really like it. Fast and reliable has been my experience. I collect my water in a bag. Filter it thru a coffee filter in to a bottle just below the top. Dip the pen. Wait the amount of time required then drink. Much easier and faster than any filter I have used.

Sawyer mini /thread

Quote Originally Posted by thecyclops View Post
    Sawyer mini /thread
    what do you man sawyer mini thread?

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    what do you man sawyer mini thread?
    That meant sawyer is the best on the market.END THREAD

IMO opinion,having used many filters (MSR mini works/katadyne/lifestraw/steripen) the sawyer mini is superior in all ways.
    Price/ease/quickness/effectiveness/number of gallons it can filter/weight/design...just everything is superior.

Journal Entries

IMO opinion,having used many filters (MSR mini works/katadyne/lifestraw/steripen) the sawyer mini is superior in all ways.
    Price/ease/quickness/effectiveness/number of gallons it can filter/weight/design...just everything is superior.
    I recently got a mini at Walmart, I brought in on a recent 5 day backpack, I could not wait to get my Steripen Freedom back.

For the Sawyer:
    Price (major check)/ease (major fail - it is awkward to fill and use and can get your hands cold)/quickness (fail for small quantities (1/2 a L) of water gathered, check for larger quantities)/effectiveness (neither got me sick, so equal)/number of gallons it can filter (I assume a similar life battery of the Steripen vs the inevitable clogging of the filter), /weight (comparable but I do usually carry less water with the steripen - see quickness)/design (it's neat in it's lightweight filter design, but so is the steripen for it's purpose)

So it comes down to personal preference, and the Sawyer Mini is worth a try but certainally not the end of thread IMHO

Whatever you do, don't follow in my footsteps....my first choice was the Steripen that you crank...no batteries to worry about.

It took a very athletic, much younger male to get it cranked fast enough and long enough to get the 1 minute cycle completed. And even he remarked that if he had to do that job for more than a liter a day, he'd be too tired to paddle!

It went back and I'm extremely happy with my Sawyer, although it bugs me that the Mini became available within a month of me buying mine..sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I recently got a mini at Walmart, I brought in on a recent 5 day backpack, I could not wait to get my Steripen Freedom back.

For the Sawyer:
    Price (major check)/ease (major fail - it is awkward to fill and use and can get your hands cold)/quickness (fail for small quantities (1/2 a L) of water gathered, check for larger quantities)/effectiveness (neither got me sick, so equal)/number of gallons it can filter (I assume a similar life battery of the Steripen vs the inevitable clogging of the filter), /weight (comparable but I do usually carry less water with the steripen - see quickness)/design (it's neat in it's lightweight filter design, but so is the steripen for it's purpose)

So it comes down to personal preference, and the Sawyer Mini is worth a try but certainally not the end of thread IMHO
    How is it awkward??? Its incredibly easy to work with,which is probably,beside the speed,is its best feature + you would HAVE to pre filter the water (if it has solids) before a steri and MAYBE pre filter before a sawyer,depending on how crusty the source is
    The steri is delicate,the sawyer is built like a tank
    $20,100,000 gallons,and no batteries VS how much for the steri???
    and the design of being able to fit it in line,use as a straw or screw to pretty much any kind of water bottle just blows the steri away.

I also bought a outdoor products 1liter bag,that the mini screws to.I can filter a liter of water QUICK and the bag has a squirt type top that can be used to back flush the mini.

I also bought a outdoor products 1liter bag,that the mini screws to.I can filter a liter of water QUICK and the bag has a squirt type top that can be used to back flush the mini.
    Some kind of reference photo/link/SKU/help locating said bag would be most helpful. Is this bag for clean, filtered water? There were 2 Sawyer Minis on the peg board at the Boone, NC Walmart last Sunday.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Agreed, much of the water treatment debate seems to end at what you consider convenient. I'm pretty set on Aquamira as a solution because I love the compact size, lack of messing with any sort of filters or bags, and don't mind the increased cost over time. That said I appreciate how others do mind the cost, time delay for both mixing the chemicals and treating the water, and the slight taste it imparts. Par for the course.

This must be it. All gone in Boone. Shucks.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor...87?type=search

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

How is it awkward???
    This was my experience with it, YMMV. I found the filling of a flexible bottle underwater sometimes challenging as they tend to collapse and you need to get your hand wet, sometimes I needed to transfer water from a rigid container to the flexible one. The hands on the flex bottle to squeeze gets hands and fingers cold, and the need to constantly aim from one into the other.

In my steripen setup I used to have I could dip the bottle in and fill it holding on to the attached top and not get my hands wet at all (or place in under a stream of falling water, same no wet/cold hands), I could stir/steri it while I continued hiking and frequently do, albeit slowly.

Its incredibly easy to work with,which is probably,beside the speed,is its best feature + you would HAVE to pre filter the water (if it has solids) before a steri, The steri is delicate,the sawyer is built like a tank
    I rarely prefiltered the water (I think 1x or 2x on my thru), from my understanding the Steripen is effective with some suspended solids and some opaqueness. So as far as robustness, a bunch of dirty water is not going to disable my Steripen, but it could my Sawyer and I've seen it happen to others.

Also you can freeze the steripen, your 'tank' breaks if it freezes. Your tank seems to have 2 major design flaws which can permanently disable it in mission critical situations which the Steripen is immune to.

$20,100,000 gallons,and no batteries VS how much for the steri???
    I conceded cost to you already but.

I am assuming you mean $20 for 100,000 gallons, lets compare:
    Steripen Freedom
    Cost $100
    Lamp Life is 8000 cycles and from what I understand free replacement after that. Each treatment is 1/2 a L, so 4,000 L at 4 L/gal (reasonable and easy approximation), it will do 1000 gallons per lamp for the $100 + the cost of electricity (battery is internal rechargeable).

Practically I would expect the Li-ion battery to fail before the bulb reaches it's max life however and I don't know the replacement cost of that.

But also practically the Mini suppose to last 100,000 gallons can be clogged after 1 gallon if you happen to chose the wrong water source, and not to mention the freezing issue.

and the design of being able to fit it in line,use as a straw or screw to pretty much any kind of water bottle just blows the steri away.
    One major design flaw of the Steripen Freedom is that a wide mouth bottle is needed and it is a royal PITA to find one that is the right size, lightweight and seals well. The should have made it more like the classic where you can use a regular 'disposable' water bottle.
    Last edited by Starchild; 07-29-2014 at 17:52.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

That meant sawyer is the best on the market.END THREAD
    Apparently Not... because the thread continues.

the sawyer mini is superior in all ways
    Sorry, but I've got to take exception to the word ALL above.

The Sawyer mini is:
    1. Not Impact safe (drop it and the glass tubes inside can break and there's virtually no way for you to know)
    2. Not freeze safe (let it freeze and again the glass tubes inside can break and there's virtually no way for you to know)
    3. Difficult to acquire water if there isn't falling water.

By comparison, the MSR Sweetwater filter is impact safe, freeze safe, and can easily suck water up out of the flattest shallowest water flows.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    This must be it. All gone in Boone. Shucks.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor...87?type=search

Wayne
    Yup,thats it...I suppose you need to get your own system,but that is the bag I use,with a narrow mouth 1 liter nalgene and a 2 liter bladder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++