WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default On average what is avg daily milage for a 8 year old?!

I'm taking my 8 yr old son on his first backpacking trip this week...planning to hike back to NOC from either burningtown gap or uses 69..then go rafting...thoughts

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

8-year-old: daily mileage varies greatly. With most kids that age, you're trying to make it fun, not necessarily get anywhere. Out-and-back is best. or mosey around short loops. Kick up the distance when the kid wants to.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I've been using "a mile per year of age" as the maximum so far. My daughter just did a 9.5 mile day (at age 8.5 - she says the half matters!) though the original plan was 8 for day. We'd done 3 miles the day before. For her going any further would have entered the "not fun" zone. We need time to chill at camp, explore, have a fire, roast marshmallows, scramble on rocks, catch a sunset, etc. to make it fun. Setting up and breaking down camp takes longer though she's great about pulling her weight when it comes to camp chores. She carries her own pack and gear (total carry weight including pack was 9 pounds this last trip). I carry the food, cook kit/stove, and the bulk of the water.

Mid-day highlights and goals are key. She digs creek crossing and rock scrambles so I pick trails with those in mind.

We progressed from one night car camping to multi-night car camping to single night backpacking (short 3 mile days) to our current multi-night backpacking. One step at a time. We've slowly establishished a pattern and expectations which helps minimize surprises.

The biggest thing for ME to remember is that we hike at her pace. We usually end up in the 1 to 1.5 mph range. I usually let her lead so I don't revert back to my own pace. It also means multiple decent length breaks. I tend to carry a lot more water especially in the summer where water sources are spotty. We had a bum spring our last trip and I was glad to have the reserve cache.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    The biggest thing for ME to remember is that we hike at her pace. We usually end up in the 1 to 1.5 mph range. I usually let her lead so I don't revert back to my own pace.
    +1.

That is the secret. Let the child lead. Teach them the responsibility of being in front while allowing them to set the pace.
    --

Hike Safe.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sympathetic joy View Post
    That is the secret. Let the child lead. Teach them the responsibility of being in front while allowing them to set the pace.
    Yup. I always made a game with my daughter of "Make sure you look behind you on the way in, because you're leading on the way out!" (And I let her lead, and let her make some mistakes, biting my tongue as we wandered a half a mile down the wrong blue blaze.)

Sometime when my daughter was in mid-to-late teens, I clarified that to, "because God forbid anything should happen to me, you need to find your way out," but by then she was able to handle the idea.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Thx all for the input...

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

For a 1st backpacking trip, I would limit the distance to an average of between 5 and 7 miles per day.
    I would expect your speed to be a little less than about 2MPH + 1 hour for every 1,000' ascent... including breaks.

For a comparison, my 8yo recently hiked the Grand Canyon. I think it took us about 10 hours to hike from Bright Angle Camp Ground to the rim on Bright Angle Trail. The trail is about 9 miles long (4.5 hours) with about a 5,000' ascent (+5 hours), taking a longer than usual lunch (extra +30 minutes).

Journal Entries
    Images

One was good for 9, middle was lifelong in a whellechair,never talked, g-tube, treck,and has since passed Loved Walk for Sunsine, and the youngest was good for maybe 5 and Dad carried all the equipment. But we got out the house. So it varies. Sometimes or most of the time keeping everyone home.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I know of a 6yr old and an 8 yr old to whom 20 miles is a good morning, and 12 yr, 8yr, and 6yr olds who struggle at 5 miles. There is no other way to look at this than "your mileage may vary" and that each child will rise to the challenge depending on his/her abilities. Don't overstress them by anyone's, even your, preconceptions on how much they should be able to do. Test them gently, and gradually, and enjoy the hike.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Sometime when my daughter was in mid-to-late teens, I clarified that to, "because God forbid anything should happen to me, you need to find your way out," but by then she was able to handle the idea.
    Snacktime was exposed to this concept a little earlier...for obvious reasons. We opted for the "Who's your first call? (and only move from your spot to enable that call, using the Hansel and Gretl approach to find your way back if necessary). We also never hike alone more than a mile or so from some form of civilization....or the car...if it can be helped.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    middle was lifelong in a whellechair,never talked, g-tube, treck,and has since passed Loved Walk for Sunsine, .
    I'm sorry for your sadness, and happy you were both able to enjoy the sunshine.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

If Im told to leave my dog at home because theres no room for them on the trail, then you leave your kids at home.

(Im kidding,though)
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

I do like the "let kids lead" method.

once they start slacking and slowing down, its time to find an end.

Section Hiker

Get started by letting the kids help/have input into planning the trip. Plus what everyone else says...

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

yeah, make it fun.

it will help if the "end" has something fun. Like a waterfall they can look forward too.

But you mentioned rafting. So you are already int eh right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    If Im told to leave my dog at home because theres no room for them on the trail, then you leave your kids at home.

(Im kidding,though)
    Trail tuck goes w me on every hike!! He's going also... He's a lil jrt....still trying to figure out what to do w him on sun while were rafting.....

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

have you asked if he's allowed on raft? Some places may let him with a life vest, and trimmed nails.

Also, you should call the rafting place up and ask if they have a kennel or know of one near by. I bet you aren't the first person to ask.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I personally wouldn't risk allowing a child to hike even one mile in the woods alone. If they should take a wrong turn or fall off the trail, it could become nearly impossible to find them. Instead, I've always tried to teach my kids to respect the dangers of the back country, including the possibility that there are no guarantee that nothing will ever happen to me. I've taught them that we always leave an itinerary with someone who can contact the authorities if we are late, and I've taught them that if anything were to happen to me, they should 'shelter-in-place' until someone someone arrives to help them.

However, after recently seeing a teen carrying Bear Spray, I've considered adding that to my kids' gear.
    For hiking around GSMNP, I've never carried bear spray myself nor to I ever plan to. But if something were to happen to me, I sort of like the idea that the kids would have something more than hiking sticks to defend themselves against bears, pigs, and coyotes should they ever find themselves alone.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    Get started by letting the kids help/have input into planning the trip. Plus what everyone else says...
    If you ever need "points of interest" info, let me know. Of course, I gleaned most of mine by asking for it here, but I do have some "tried and true" to impart in some places.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I personally wouldn't risk allowing a child to hike even one mile in the woods alone. If they should take a wrong turn or fall off the trail, it could become nearly impossible to find them. Instead, I've always tried to teach my kids to respect the dangers of the back country, including the possibility that there are no guarantee that nothing will ever happen to me. I've taught them that we always leave an itinerary with someone who can contact the authorities if we are late, and I've taught them that if anything were to happen to me, they should 'shelter-in-place' until someone someone arrives to help them.

However, after recently seeing a teen carrying Bear Spray, I've considered adding that to my kids' gear.
    For hiking around GSMNP, I've never carried bear spray myself nor to I ever plan to. But if something were to happen to me, I sort of like the idea that the kids would have something more than hiking sticks to defend themselves against bears, pigs, and coyotes should they ever find themselves alone.
    While I agree with this in theory (not the bear spray stuff though), I've found that a certain independence on the trail when they're ready isn't a bad thing, and will certainly teach them greater confidence and independence. This past spring, Snacktime embarked on 2 short solos, both in order to meet others a short distance ahead (as it turned out, < 1 mile each time). I knew he was fully capable of keeping to the trail and following the blazes, though of course it didn't stop me from nail-biting as I sat and rested on my rock. As to the wildlife threat, well, let's just say that he is not one to tread lightly, or silently. Besides, he's almost larger than almost anything he's likely to encounter now!

They have to grow up, no matter how nerve-wracking it is for us that they do so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++