WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Consistant Hiking Buddy TN/NC/GA

I have tried this before with no luck but will try again lol The sections I have left Damascus south are:
    Greasy Creek to Spivey-35.5 miles I will do this Labor Day weekend(Sat, Sun, Mon)
    The Smokey Mountains DavenPort Gap to Russel Field Shelter (Probably Clingmans Dome to Davenport Gap) 40 miles Thanksgiving weekend
    And lastly Wayah Bald Tower to Springer. Unscheduled.

I am going to hike Penmar to Swatara Gap this October 10th to 19th.

I can leave Cookeville, Tn at 4 pm fridays and stay out until aroun 3 pm sunday. I can put in 20 mile days(ussually good for about 30 miles a weekend.) and like to slack packduring uncomfortable times of year like 90 degrees or snowing in winter. I backpack spring and fall.

I am open to all ages and gender. I only ask that you pay your way and respect me as I respect others.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I should add: 26 year old male, hike with friendly lab (6years old), christian and Boy Scout Volunteer/ Eagle Scout, Carry Permit Holder and Engineer. Just a few things that resemble
    "Gambit McCrae".

Bump bump bump

I might be doing Caledonia State Park North around that same time frame (Oct 10 AM). How far is Swatara Gap? I would likely only have 5 days to hike but I will keep you posted as time gets closer.

Images

im in knoxville..............also an eagle scout.........

and while im done with hiking in the smokies (ive met my goals with that park)----id be open to other areas...................

and in your area---i need to do some hiking in fall creek falls area..........and virgin falls (if i have my names right)............basically below sparta and kingston..........

If anyone is near my area and wants to do this with gambit AND wants to carpool PM me and I suppose him also,LOL I want to go with you gambit this weekend/spivy and have cleared it with the misses ust gotta get there and again,just not in the works with my car at the moment.Bag is packed (always packed)
    Im in Catawba county NC

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    im in knoxville..............also an eagle scout.........

and while im done with hiking in the smokies (ive met my goals with that park)----id be open to other areas...................

and in your area---i need to do some hiking in fall creek falls area..........and virgin falls (if i have my names right)............basically below sparta and kingston..........
    ****Your inbox is full****

The areas you are speaking of are pretty nice. I hiked the Virgin Falls area saturday with one of our local scout troops for about the 50th someodd time. It is a great climb out of the gorge and enough walking to make it quite a relaxing trip or a nice day hike at about 10 miles round trip. I saw the biggest rattlesnake of my life there last weekend, probably 4-5 foot long, 13 rattles or so. Anyways, I remember Fall Creek Falls to be flat, about 13-14 miles I believe and other than some gorge overlooks, not too special.

Having starting this with no experience, I would have done it different in that I would have started at springer and headed north on section hikes instead of picking and choosing :/ Now I am filling in the gaps and It now has become cumbersome. I think laborday weekend I am gonig to do a section, I guess Ill do Spivey to greasy creek 35.5 miles. Thats 12 miles a day with the last day being a slack pack.

How much of the AT have you hiked? I saw you have GSMNP goals, hike all of it?

I would love to get a group of 4-5 that consistantly can go out to the AT from GA to Davenport Gap sections about once a month. Im a huge fan of slackpacking during uncomfortable times of the year but enjoy a good backpacking trip on extended weekends.

Dam#$t gambit,the more I read the more my mouth waters wanting to go...I start back to work at the college on the 11th of August and of course takes a few weeks for the money to start filtering back in,but Im gonna get with you before too long.I will just have to keep my mouth shut on trying to get up there until then I suppose (AGAIN UNLESS WE GET A CARPOOL FROM MY AREA,COME ON GUYS!!!) But its on my to do list for sure.Im also off every weekend from the college,so should be easy once funds are better.

Cyclops, Erwin is only 45 min north of Asheville...

Images

****Your inbox is full****

ya......................just cleared it so fire away.....

Images

I saw you have GSMNP goals, hike all of it?

yes............hiked all the trails...............went back and spent a night in every open campsite..........including the boat in only ones....

stopped hiking in the Park with about 75 percent of a second "map" done....

moved onto joyce kilmer/slickrock/citico............knocked that off last year.........

have done most of snowbird wilderness....

and a bunch of stuff in brushy ridge/bald river wilderness which is off of the cherohala skyway...

plan on spending a bunch of time in cohutta/big frog this fall once it cools down a bit..........for the summer---ive been canoeing/camping on lake santeelah and calderwood.........probably do a trip on fontana in a few weeks when i get done some of my music weekends......

never have been to virgin falls or fall creek falls but been on my list for a while so i really would like to explore those areas..........

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Cyclops, Erwin is only 45 min north of Asheville...
    Yup,but asheville is an hour away from hickory.And Ive been on unemployment for 3 months now (until I get back) and money is TIGHT.School starting back for the kid,his supplies,shoes,clothes,I just paid $93 today for inspection,taxes,renew tag on the accord....Just money man....when Im working we do great,but when its summer time,we get tight.To put it in perspective,I dont have enough money to get to south mountains to hike this weekend,and its 40 min away.2 hour drive to get there according to bing, plus any supplies/food I may need is at least $50 if not more....Poor white boy.
    Last edited by thecyclops; 07-31-2014 at 16:52.

Quote Originally Posted by thecyclops View Post
    Yup,but asheville is an hour away from hickory.And Ive been on unemployment for 3 months now (until I get back) and money is TIGHT.School starting back for the kid,his supplies,shoes,clothes,I just paid $93 today for inspection,taxes,renew tag on the accord....Just money man....when Im working we do great,but when its summer time,we get tight.To put it in perspective,I dont have enough money to get to south mountains to hike this weekend,and its 40 min away.2 hour drive to get there according to bing, plus any supplies/food I may need is at least $50 if not more....Poor white boy.

Sorry couldnt resist lol

Wasnt looking for your sympathy,or hand outs,just explaining that some of us have bills,kids and what not.
    Sorry I couldnt resist.

Nick-Diaz-middle-fingers-268x200.jpg

Clear your pm's Gambit!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by centerfieldr162 View Post
    Clear your pm's Gambit!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Yeppers! All clrear lol

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I have tried this before with no luck but will try again lol The sections I have left Damascus south are:
    Greasy Creek to Spivey-35.5 miles I will do this Labor Day weekend(Sat, Sun, Mon)
    The Smokey Mountains DavenPort Gap to Russel Field Shelter (Probably Clingmans Dome to Davenport Gap) 40 miles Thanksgiving weekend
    And lastly Wayah Bald Tower to Springer. Unscheduled.

I am going to hike Penmar to Swatara Gap this October 10th to 19th.

I can leave Cookeville, Tn at 4 pm fridays and stay out until aroun 3 pm sunday. I can put in 20 mile days(ussually good for about 30 miles a weekend.) and like to slack packduring uncomfortable times of year like 90 degrees or snowing in winter. I backpack spring and fall.

I am open to all ages and gender. I only ask that you pay your way and respect me as I respect others.

The Opa and I are starting in North Carolina (wanting to be 300 miles from Springer Mountain when we start) approximately October 10th, 2014. Gonna hike south till we get to Springer Mountain. Think it's awesome your dog is hiking with you! We may not precisely meet up, according to your current plans, but if you make any changes to your route, drop us a message!

Hey! I also live in Knoxville and would be willing to hike anytime and anywhere!..my job is pretty lenient so I can take off for a while. Let me know if you are interested! Need to build up my legs for my thru hike next year.

I am limited mainly to weekend hiking due to work, but I am always down to hike.

Some hikes I am planning if finishing hiking GA AT unicoi to GA/NC line, maybe further this year. I also plan to hopefully finish the Bartram trail, GA, if not the whole trail. Also plan to start the foothills trail. I also have plans for several day hikes all over the State of GA. If you are in GA, NC, SC and want to hike, let me know.

++ New Posts ++