WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cigarettes/Dip

Default Cigarettes/Dip

Do any of you guys/gals smoke/dip regularly? How many have carried cigarettes/dip on your thru hike? I was thinking maybe getting an electronic cigarette but then I have to deal with charging it. Ive heard people mention smoking while at hostels/ in town.

In my experiences this year I have seen just as many smokers and non. Not alot of dippers
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I was thinking dip because I can make a can last 3 or 4 days compared to half a pack a day and smoking and hiking just isnt that fun

I don't dip, but I'd think you'd have more freedom to dip without offending others around you.

I enjoy cigars, but rarely bring them because I know at least one person would get annoyed wherever I decided to stay.

Good time to quit...
    or roll your own- pouch of Drum or decent tobacco will last you a few days at least at half a pack a day. And you tend to smoke less often too.
    Likely have to mail drop the pouches to yourself though, decent tobacco gets hard to find and nothing worse than reaching for the ol tobbacie pouch and finding you picked up a stale pouch that's been sitting on a shelf for six months.

If you do smoke- pack out your butts. Same with the tobacco pouches, they don't decompose. Cigarette butts don't burn either, they just melt- so pack em out.
    Or smoke good ol Pall Mall's, English Ovals when you can and avoid the trouble.

or quit....

I tried quittin but I enjoy smoking. I used to roll my own but we used injectors and tubes. Seems like to much to carry. I even thought about getting some papers and an actual roller. It just seems like its end up weighing more and being bulkier. I also dont want to have to go to town just for smokes. I want to go to town as little as possible. And I always pack out my butts. As a smoker I cant stand seeing cigarette butts everywhere.

Woody I highly doubt you will smoke a half a pack a day on the trail. I am a smoker and I ussually smoke 3 a day, possibly 4. Morning, lunch, dinner before bed. You just dont have time when walking lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

YES i smoked on all three of my thru's, the way i did it is i would buy about 3 or 4 pouches of TOP Tobacco or a similar brand ( Roll ur own ) empty them into an Zip-Lock bag and that would last me until my next resupply ( every 5-6 days ), I would smoke one in the morning, one at lunch, one at the end of the day, and one at my breaks but i never smoked as i was walking 4-5 cigs a day is all i smoked, but i never saw a Dipper, but please remember don't smoke in side the shelters ( unless you are alone then it's okay ) go outside. Yeah every time i Rolled one up and if they was some one around me they always thought i was rolling something else HA HA HA HA

And i should add that smoking Did not hurt my hiking abilties at all in fact i was out hiking most of the NONE smokers.

I like chewing tobacco but try to refrain from regular (daily) use. At a little store in Monson, I picked up a pouch of Beechnut. the guy rang it up it was over $14 iirc for a package I would typically pay $4 for. I asked the guy if there was a mistake but he said no, tobacco has extremely high taxes up there (no kidding). I started to put it back but thought to myself..."how many times am I going to be walking thru the 100 MW at the end of a thruhike?" The answer was "probably only once" so I treated myself. Enjoyed it immensely.

smokes are fairly cheap here in VA, even for name brand but, the further north you go, the more expensive. In R.I. and M.A. your going to pay over $10 a pack so, you would definitely want someone to ship ahead.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

i used to sell them on the trail in the south for $10 a pack to folks tryin' to quit

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i used to sell them on the trail in the south for $10 a pack to folks tryin' to quit
    ..........................rotflmao.gif

I use to smoke and dip on the job when I couldn't smoke, quit many years ago, chewed the gum off and on too. I don't see how you smokers can hike to the top of a mountain and light up...that would kill me, literally....

I never got into the e-ciggs or vaporizer thingy's but have nieces and nephews who do...just another drug delivery system, but yup you'd have to keep it charged...bring a spare battery pack I guess, not sure what it's charging requirements are.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    25 years of 2 packs a day did their damage. Been quit for 15 years but I still struggle with the uphills

Lone Wolf, that was just plain wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody213 View Post
    Do any of you guys/gals smoke/dip regularly? How many have carried cigarettes/dip on your thru hike? I was thinking maybe getting an electronic cigarette but then I have to deal with charging it. Ive heard people mention smoking while at hostels/ in town.
    I hike a good bit in CT and MA and I'm always surprised how many thru hikers that make it this far are smokers.

I quit years ago and of course I'm going to recommend that as the best plan, but if you are going to smoke on the trail, pouch tobacco and rolling papers are the way to go. I got real good at rolling them back in the day and when you're hiking you have plenty of free time to learn how to roll a smoke.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    25 years of 2 packs a day did their damage. Been quit for 15 years but I still struggle with the uphills

Lone Wolf, that was just plain wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think he may just be funnin' but funnier still, he may not be. Ya know, you and I if in that situation would have gladly thanked him for his service with a thousand thank yous while genuflecting....and in that instance, he would have been a life saver...an on looker witnessing that transaction would likely have hung there head shaking it and think...

...But by the grace of GOD, there go I.

Quote Originally Posted by Likeapuma View Post
    I enjoy cigars, but rarely bring them because I know at least one person would get annoyed wherever I decided to stay.
    I have not smoked since the late sixties but a good cigar keeps the mosquitos away. At least it did when I was trout fishing.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    I have not smoked since the late sixties but a good cigar keeps the mosquitos away. At least it did when I was trout fishing.

Rolls
    hiked with a fella last year who picked up a resupply and in that resupply was a nalgene bottle full ci-gars, I thought that was a great way to store em and keep em fresh...apparently so did he, hehe I like the smell of cigars, but pipe smoke chokes me...go figure.

Seen it at school lots of times but never saw anyone dipping on the trail.Fundip.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++