WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cigarettes/Dip

I've got to ask *** is dip? $10 a pack! It was that price in Australia about 10 years ago, now about $25/pack. The thing I hate is enjoying a great view and sucking in the fresh air with the smell of eucalyptus and vegetation, then getting a lung full of someone's smoke. The whole bloody bush to fag in and they have got to sit next to me.

Journal Entries

I just started my third month cigarette free. I still miss my after meal smokes, but lifesavers come to the rescue.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries
    Images

Hang in there Buckeye. Day at a time. Pretty quick the thought will not even enter your mind.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I just started my third month cigarette free. I still miss my after meal smokes, but lifesavers come to the rescue.
    Way to go BuckeyeBill! It can be tough some times but you can do it!! Used to smoke 2 packs a day for 25 years. Quit about 14 years ago. I know everyone's experience is different but once I realized I was playing head games with myself to give myself an excuse to smoke the desire went away. Haven't had the desire or craving since. Keep up the good fight!
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Journal Entries
    Images

My experience might be unique, but I started the AT as a rather heavy smoker and at no point did it ever have a negative impact on my hiking. The thing was, the rhythm of walking caused me to cut way, way back rather naturally. Obviously you really can't even consider walking with a lit cigarette.

I should have taken advantage of that physical change and taken the next step to quit altogether, but they represented a rather light weight pleasure. That was my excuse. Naturally, I ratcheted right back up when got off the trail. Given my social surroundings it was inevitable that I'd quite eventually, but that was a golden opportunity wasted. Big mistake for me.

I think a big problem with dip is that you might be tempted to use it while walking, and that would suck for all sorts of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    My experience might be unique, but I started the AT as a rather heavy smoker and at no point did it ever have a negative impact on my hiking. The thing was, the rhythm of walking caused me to cut way, way back rather naturally. Obviously you really can't even consider walking with a lit cigarette.

I should have taken advantage of that physical change and taken the next step to quit altogether, but they represented a rather light weight pleasure. That was my excuse. Naturally, I ratcheted right back up when got off the trail. Given my social surroundings it was inevitable that I'd quite eventually, but that was a golden opportunity wasted. Big mistake for me.

I think a big problem with dip is that you might be tempted to use it while walking, and that would suck for all sorts of reasons.
    If you actually think that as a heavy smoker,it didnt have a negative effect on your hiking,you are living in a fantasy land.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I use to smoke and dip on the job when I couldn't smoke, quit many years ago, chewed the gum off and on too. I don't see how you smokers can hike to the top of a mountain and light up...that would kill me, literally....

I never got into the e-ciggs or vaporizer thingy's but have nieces and nephews who do...just another drug delivery system, but yup you'd have to keep it charged...bring a spare battery pack I guess, not sure what it's charging requirements are.
    Same here. After I quit many years ago I never got back into tobbaco, but 2 of my kids fought the quitting effort, pretty much unsucessfully. They are doing the vapor cigs now and I find it totally unoffensive with no odor and no irritation to me inside or outside the house (I still usually make them go out). It seems that those things clog up alot and have to be cleaned. It might be a PITA to carry on the trail. As you say, it's just another drug delivery device, but at least it doesn't affect other people.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Good time to quit...
    I heartily disagree! I tried quitting on multiple hikes, and all I managed to do was ruin the hikes. Quit when you can, hike when you can, but don't try to do them both at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    Believe me I quit enough times before I QUIT to be right there with you. And I sure would have. Heck I would have started a bidding war if he was down to the last pack and some else wanted them as well. I had it pretty bad - smh in shame. I truly meant my remark to Lone Wolf light-heartedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh I know ya did, I was just reflecting back on just how bad my habit was as well. Quitting Ciggs was the hardest thing I ever did...way harder than quittin' drinkin'...for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Oh I know ya did, I was just reflecting back on just how bad my habit was as well. Quitting Ciggs was the hardest thing I ever did...way harder than quittin' drinkin'...for me anyway.
    My hat is off to you rocketsocks, it ain't easy. After a couple of years, I still like the smell of it, but I'm not going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolo View Post
    My hat is off to you rocketsocks, it ain't easy. After a couple of years, I still like the smell of it, but I'm not going there.
    oh me too, but it's real simple for me though, I smoke, I can't breath...literally, so it's kinda a no brainier. Oh I've taken my drags over the years here and there, always payed for it the next day...huffin' and puffin' and wheezin'...no damn fun, I like breathing mucho better.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I tried quitting on multiple hikes, and all I managed to do was ruin the hikes. Quit when you can, hike when you can, but don't try to do them both at the same time.
    This is a good point--I've also been forced to quit on the trail simply for lack of having and trying to force yourself to get up and carry weight through the mountains all day when you're also fighting a craving is just not fun at all. The question "why am I doing this to myself" would always be my mantra at times like that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    Way to go BuckeyeBill! It can be tough some times but you can do it!! Used to smoke 2 packs a day for 25 years. Quit about 14 years ago. I know everyone's experience is different but once I realized I was playing head games with myself to give myself an excuse to smoke the desire went away. Haven't had the desire or craving since. Keep up the good fight!
    You're lucky. I think everyone's different in this regard. I quit smoking 9 years ago and I still want one almost every single day.

And whoever said that nobody actually likes to smoke is nuts. I *loved* smoking. It wasn't hard for me to quit once I decided to really do it, but I definitely loved it and miss it.

Congrats to those that quit. In October it will be 2 years for me. I used the Nicotine Lozenges to quit smoking. I didn't start smoking till I was 25 or 26. My habit was to around 2 packs a day by the time I decided to quit. I always see people that quit on New Years seem to pick up the habit shortly after so I picked Oct. 1st as my quit date.
    As for smoking and doing outdoor activities I never felt it hurt me. I would smoke before mountain biking, on long rides during them, free diving, and surfing.
    I could normally ride longer, dive deeper, and surf longer than most. If fact a guy I know can free dive for 3 to 4 minutes and reach 100 feet and spearfish and he smoked a over a pack a day. Not saying this is right.
    The sad fact is I'm still taking the lozenges but plan on quit them completely on Oct. 1st. The one thing that I will say is that since I quit smoking I rarely get sick which it really nice. I've maybe had 2 or 3 colds in the last two years.

I would not recommend to stop smoking on a hike. I think you would be miserable! I know I would of.

If I was a smoker and hiking I would bring some of the the mini-lozenges in case my smokes got wet so I wouldn't go into detox.

I feel that the people that quit smoking will be the ones that don't want to be around you the most. We can smell a smoker a mile away. I will say I don't mind smelling a little smoke now and then as long as its not directly in my face. The worst smell is really the stink they leave on your cloth or your breath after smoking.

Just an FYI I haven't been hiking since I was in my teens but over the years hiking has always been in the back of my head and I think the time to start again has come. More on this future posts to come.

I was hypnotized to quit smoking 4 years ago today! It worked.

Haven't taken one drag since, and I never, ever miss it. Occaisionally I still feel the desire to smoke (the old physical addicition), but I have a little tactic for that which helps the thought to soon pass. 19 years of cigarettes had taken a toll on my wind and physical endurance, but I can tell how much my lungs and body have rebounded since quitting.

Quitting was one of the hardest I had ever attempted; so many failed attempts. I'm not sure I would have ever pulled it off without the hypnotist.

I also remember everything about the hypnotist's 45 minute session. It was really more like a therapy session; I was awake and aware the whole time.

Anyone in NC interested in the hypnotist's name and info, I'd be happy to share it. She is located in Winston Salem. I know of others that have had the same successful experience. It cost roughly $200, which pays for itself in a relatively short amount of time.

Just like everything else: No motivation, no change.

Journal Entries

Now at month four cigarette free for me. I used Chantix and would recommend it to anyone that can take it. No more cravings and I go around smokers without any problems. Still taking it one day at a time.
    Blackheart

my mom used to smoke for years, she up and quit one day cold turkey, ten years later she said not one day went by without here craving a cigarette

Now at month four cigarette free for me. I used Chantix and would recommend it to anyone that can take it. No more cravings and I go around smokers without any problems. Still taking it one day at a time.
    Also used this but beware if you drink alcohol you will blackout quickly I did everytime..

Quit for 6 months back at half a pack a day..

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

Buckey - I Know people that that have quit smoking using Chantix and it worked for them. I did try it and thank god I stopped taking it before going crazy. It made me super depressed and some of the things I thought about I wish on no one. Yes, this is a great drug to quit but the side effects can be really bad. Many people that try to quit this way end up dead or close to it. If you choose this drug to quit make sure you have people around you to make sure you're okay. The biggest side affect of this drug is killing yourself. I'm just glad I quit taking when I did.

This drug was originally a antidepressant but they soon found that people stopped smoking when using it. I don't believe it worked as a antidepressant and they lower the dosage for people to quit smoking. At higher dosages I think many suffered from this drug. Please be careful if you take Chantix and let those around you know you're taking it so they can keep an eye on you.

I'm glad it worked for you!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Pipe? Bueller ? Anybody ?

Wayne
    Ditto. A bag of pipe tobacco will last you a good while. Not sure of the availability on the trail but one bag of pipe tobacco would easily last me a month. Not a very big bag either. This is the route I would take. Plus it's generally less evasive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++