WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First Time Inquiry

Brand new to this forum, but experienced on numerous trails. I am planning on a 10-15 day hike but have limited knowledge about the CT. I did obtain a Guidebook and am studying it, but would like some suggestions as to possible loops, weather, transportation, solitude, etc. Coming from FL at virtual sea level, I have some concerns about acclimation, but have adjusted well in the past.

My tentative plan is to hike the last half of September, perhaps continuous, or to break my hike into sections, with transportation in between, allowing me to hike different segments.

I trust the experience and intelligence of the contributors to this forum to be of great assistance.

I hiked the Colorado Trail in 2012, and I can answer a few of your questions.

First I need to caution you: The last half of September should be considered Winter conditions. Snow can come as early as September 10th to the Colorado mountains, and many peaks and passes will not be traversable. I would highly encourage you to move up you trip if possible, or wait until next year.

That being said, here are some suggestions. Any segments around Leadville and the Arkansas Valley offer ample opportunity to hike long segments but still be close to transportation and towns. Breckenridge over to Leadville is all served by the Summit County Shuttle System. The terrain is tough but acheiveable and they are popular trails amongst day hikers and mountain climbers, so you'll have some other people around. Additionally, Segments 1-6, which is the Denver to Breckenridge segment. The are shuttles and motorcoaches which run from Breck to Denver, and the terrain is among the easiest and lowest on the entire trail. If you are concerned about altittude, this could be your best bet. Additionally, there is plenty of places to catch a ride or get supplies, such as Jefferson, Bailey, and Buffalo Creek. If you hold to your late September dates, these segments will have the best weather. The Colorado Trail Foundation maintains a list of Trail Angels in the Denver area who can help you get out to the trailhead and get started. There is also ample water along these segments, with the exception of the 11 miles stretch on Segment 2.

Best of Luck to you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbins View Post
    First I need to caution you: The last half of September should be considered Winter conditions. Snow can come as early as September 10th to the Colorado mountains, and many peaks and passes will not be traversable. I would highly encourage you to move up you trip if possible, or wait until next year.

That being said, here are some suggestions. Any segments around Leadville and the Arkansas Valley offer ample opportunity to hike long segments but still be close to transportation and towns. Breckenridge over to Leadville is all served by the Summit County Shuttle System. The terrain is tough but acheiveable and they are popular trails amongst day hikers and mountain climbers, so you'll have some other people around. Additionally, Segments 1-6, which is the Denver to Breckenridge segment. The are shuttles and motorcoaches which run from Breck to Denver, and the terrain is among the easiest and lowest on the entire trail. If you are concerned about altittude, this could be your best bet. Additionally, there is plenty of places to catch a ride or get supplies, such as Jefferson, Bailey, and Buffalo Creek. If you hold to your late September dates, these segments will have the best weather. The Colorado Trail Foundation maintains a list of Trail Angels in the Denver area who can help you get out to the trailhead and get started. There is also ample water along these segments, with the exception of the 11 miles stretch on Segment 2.

Best of Luck to you.
    with due respect, I would tend to disagree with your first statement, or at least rephrase it: Mid-late September CAN be snowy, at least snow falling in the air, but generally very little if any sticks to any amount that would impede travel, even relatively high.

September can be an absolutely glorious month, and usually is, despite the occasional "flurry" or even a few inches accumulation up high. Sure, it can dump big, but this is relatively rare.

If you dress accordingly and be ready for some snowfall, this is a fine time to do a part of the CT, even a high part. And there is nothing magic about "September 10th"; it snows year 'round in the CO mountains. Maybe "September 10th" is right around the first snowfall in Denver, not important here though.

We go crazy climbing high peaks (13ers and 14ers) in September and October in Colorado; finally past most of the thunderstorm danger, and usually very dry. The big snows in the CO mountains come later, usually.

Still, Dobbins has a good idea and this goes with your acclimation; segments 1-6 would provide good altitude acclimation, then perhaps you can continue in the Sawatch, or skip south and pick up segments 20-21 or so if the weather holds, or else continue in the sawatches if not.

I will be back hiking on the AT in September, alas, so generally cannot help with any of my gratis rides to the Waterton (Denver) trailhead (I live nearby). I will be home around September 18th though if I can help after then.

Mags has always been a solid resource of hiking information for me that you too would be wise to consider. http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-...Colorado-Trail

I only had Sept and Oct to choose from to thru-hike the CT in 2012 and I knew I didn't want to be on the CT especially the SW half or regularly in the high country above 9000 ft in late Oct. I wanted to hike not ski or snowshoe or walk roads or post hole and I didn't desire to bail to a lower route. I went in as a seasoned UL long distance hiker in OK but not at my optimal hiking fitness level. I had previously thru-hiked the CDT so I knew much about the CT since they share many miles of the same tread. I was familiar with the Collegiate West route and resupplying for examples. I had recently spent time pre CT thru-hike hiking in California on 300 miles of the PCT at 8000 ft+ elev, thru-hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail, and doing some 10K+ elev northern Nevada Great Basin NP area multi day loop hikes. I was somewhat acclimatized to higher elevations. I planned on summitting several CT 14 ers and doing both the CT Collegiate West and Collegiate East routes on the CT thru-hike. I was planning on a more moderately paced CT hike seeing the sights but knew if I absolutely had to I could ratchet up my planned 23 MPD avg a bit and would be able to throw in low thirties on clear trail here and there if needed. Based on all that info and my situation I decided the best approach was a flip flop starting SW bound where the CT crosses Hwy 50 near Monarch Pass(the CT does not cross Hwy 50 directly at the Pass though, that's the CDT) outside of Salida CO. I would then flip back up to this point, after knocking off all of the CT and whatever else I wanted to hike/accomplish south of this location, and hike/accomplish whatever was on the northern rest of the CT. As a result of some dilly dallying around taking 14 "zero" days I couldn't summit Mt Elbert like I planned because the wind chill factor was -20(temps at 3*) on my summit day, which I wasn't gear prepared for, so had to abandon that summit bid turning back and I was LIGHTLY snowed on three times(4-5" max) that burned off later in the day. I got sleeted on a few other times too. I finished up at Waterton Canyon(Denver) on Oct 14 doing 4 14ers and the Collegiate West and East routes and the CT, in what I felt, was just under the wire before I experienced some serious ice/snow. I wasn't aware of any CTers behind me still hiking. But, it wasn't always cold! Sometimes the days were in the high 80's* like it was late July in downtown Denver. I saw day time highs fluctuate between those high 80s to about 55* Night time lows went from 8* to 60*. AS Rob said the weather on the CT in Sept can be, and it was for me in 2012, absolutely GREAT! even at the highest elevations of the CT! I would say close to ideal! If you understand you are on the cusp of weather changes in the Fall in late Sept in the CO high country and prepare accordingly and intelligently it certainly can be done! All my light snowfall and lowest temps occurred, as one might assume, during the last 3 wks of my trek or when I was above 11 k ft.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    with due respect, I would tend to disagree with your first statement, or at least rephrase it: Mid-late September CAN be snowy, at least snow falling in the air, but generally very little if any sticks to any amount that would impede travel, even relatively high.
    I like the way Colorado_Rob said it much better. Just be aware that snow is a real possibility. Have a great trip, and if you need help and are in Denver, send me a PM and I'll do what I can.

WOW ! Some great information here. I'll take a couple of days, absorb it all and come back with more questions. I did link with pmags site and it, too is excellent.

I would add on other observation. I have used many forums while planning my many excursions. But I have never seen the rapid responses, depth and quality of information and the overall friendliness and politeness of the contributors. This site is exceptional and you all should be congratulated. Outstanding !!

Thanks much,
    Whoaboy

Back with some tentative plans and still seeking advice and opinions.

To acclimate, hike Segment 1 or 2 ( or any 2-3 day section) then move to higher elevations, likely Segs 6-8, in the Breckinridge, Frisco area.

Looking for possible trail heads where vehicles have access and safe parking?

I would like to find off CT trails that would be great for multi-day meandering. Will the Natl Geo Trails Illustrated work? And the Guidebook is a bit sketchy on water availability, is this a concern?

Any suggestions appreciated... Thanks much, in advance.

Whoaboy

My choice for off-CT trail would be the Lost Creek Wilderness area. There is enough there to last 3-5 days easily. I am in Denver, and I can get to the trailhead in about 1.5 hours which makes it move to the top of my list.

The site seems down at the moment, but a good resource for the Lost Creek Wilderness is Friends of Mt Evans & Lost Creek Wilderness

I have never had issues with water access on the CT (I have not done it a lot of it, but figured I would contribute). I have used the Nat Geo maps in CO with generally good luck.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    My choice for off-CT trail would be the Lost Creek Wilderness area. There is enough there to last 3-5 days easily. I am in Denver, and I can get to the trailhead in about 1.5 hours which makes it move to the top of my list.
    +1 on the Lost Creek wilderness. In fact, my wife and I are planning a 39 mile loop in there this weekend. In case you're interested, I uploaded a low-rez TOPO map on my profile of the loop, consisting of the red and yellow lines. The elevations on this low-rez Jpeg are in meters. The purple line "shortcut" makes this a 23 mile loop. You have a choice of trailheads, I have the Goose Creek t/h marked on the TOPO (lower right), but we might actually start at the upper left, the Long Gulch t/h. The "Tarryall Mtns" NG Topo map (#105) contains this area and loop, or I could email you a high-rez TOPO Jpeg. Fantastic place, the LCW.

I could email you a high-rez TOPO Jpeg
    I would love a copy of that jpeg. I usually do the northern loop in the LCW (Rolling Creek T/H to Lost Park via the CT, then Wigwam trail to Rolling Creek trail) but I am thinking about doing the larger southern loop Labor Day weekend.

[email protected]

Thanks, and maybe I will see you on the trail one weekend.
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    I would love a copy of that jpeg. I usually do the northern loop in the LCW (Rolling Creek T/H to Lost Park via the CT, then Wigwam trail to Rolling Creek trail) but I am thinking about doing the larger southern loop Labor Day weekend.

[email protected]

Thanks, and maybe I will see you on the trail one weekend.
    The southwestern part of the LCW is our favorite, ironically, the CT passes through our least favorite. Anyway, a big Jpeg is in the mail!

+2 LCW "... ironically, the CT passes through our least favorite(area of the LCW)" - My assertion as well.

Looping the Collegiate West(CDT) and East would work very well too.

I will have to give the southern loop a try, probably Labor Day weekend.

Thanks for the map!
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Thanks for the info. It helps a lot.

LCW looks great and after researching the connected trails, looks like a "no brainer," should be fun! I'll pick up Trails Illustrated #105. Should be some nice loops, lots of options.

Now, after LCW, how does Seg 6 do as far as solitude, water, vistas,etc?

++ New Posts ++