WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I use cake soap (Van Der Hagen) from Walmart, when I shave. I had always been a gel or creme user, but in 2005, in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, I spent 30 days in the Gulf states as a medic with a search and rescue team. We camped out or slept in abandoned buildings nearly every night. Not wanting to carry an aerosol can in my pack through very hot weather, I switched to a small lidded plastic bowl with a cake of soap, a shave brush, and whatever razor was available. I've never gone back. I recycle my wife's razors. I still get a few shaves out them when she's done.

I'm retiring in Jan. 2015 from a job that has required me to be clean shaven for the past 28 years. I will most definitely not be shaving on my thru-hike, and it's got nothing to do with hiking the Trail.

Beard-on, brothers! Let them bask in our scruffiness!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

When I got home from my last hike (with about a week's worth of whiskers), I treated myself to a professional straight-edge razor shave at a barber. Yes, it's expensive, but I think it of a bit like women having their nails done. Sure you can do it yourself, but if you can afford it, it's nice to be pampered every now and then. Any barbers in the trail towns that will do this?

Images

:banana shaving on a hike

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Guys shave when they're out hiking? Who knew?
    im with you lol! every dude i saw on the trail that was more than a day hiker had a beard!

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    When I got home from my last hike (with about a week's worth of whiskers), I treated myself to a professional straight-edge razor shave at a barber. Yes, it's expensive, but I think it of a bit like women having their nails done. Sure you can do it yourself, but if you can afford it, it's nice to be pampered every now and then. Any barbers in the trail towns that will do this?
    I'm about to go in the garage and buzz my head, your welcome to swing on by.

LOL! Buzzed mine yesterday. The dog was not interested.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    LOL! Buzzed mine yesterday. The dog was not interested.
    Been doin that for years, more of a comfort thing really, when it gets hot, it comes off, in the winter I may let it go to a couple inches, but tha'd be a lot.

...my pup hates the buzzers, she runs away.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Been doin that for years, more of a comfort thing really, when it gets hot, it comes off, in the winter I may let it go to a couple inches, but tha'd be a lot.

...my pup hates the buzzers, she runs away.
    That's really one of the main reason I don't try and grow a beard...to darn hot for my liking .

i was asked if my beard makes me hot in the summer. i've been told by the ladies it makes me hot all year long

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i was asked if my beard makes me hot in the summer. i've been told by the ladies it makes me hot all year long
    LW..you just may be "trail hot". we talked about that a lot on the AT...food (like Snickers or Knorr's Spanish rice ) that you wouldn't dream of eating in real life became "trail good". Hotel rooms that look like the Bates motel became "trail good" because there was a lumpy mattress and a cold shower. maybe your ladies have been in the woods so long that you became "trail hot".

That's really one of the main reason I don't try and grow a beard...to darn hot for my liking .
    Its the Jeremiah Johnson Complex which affects most if not all thru hikers. The need to look/conform like someone who is out in the wilderness, miles away from towns etc. Totally impractical during Summer. All Ego.

Quote Originally Posted by firesign View Post
    Totally impractical during Summer. All Ego.
    bull. i've had a full beard for over 25 years

Fresh disposable razors can work without water, etc., not exactly recommended due to how your face feels subsequently. It is a pain to get out soap, have a water source, a mirror, etc.. Whiskers are inevitable. If people are turned off by beards or beard stubble, they will be turned off be many other irrelevant things. I unfortunately know a lot of people who expect every man to have a kissable baby face.

Images

i just used water since i was 18. over sleeping and shaving at work in the bathroom started that. then one day i said ____ it! >
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i just used water since i was 18. over sleeping and shaving at work in the bathroom started that. then one day i said ____ it! >
    necessity.....the mother of invention.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plJMQeKpz40

Terri Clark, she the one for me alright.

Quote Originally Posted by firesign View Post
    Its the Jeremiah Johnson Complex which affects most if not all thru hikers. The need to look/conform like someone who is out in the wilderness, miles away from towns etc. Totally impractical during Summer. All Ego.
    Yup, probably a little of that goin on.

Images

Yup, probably a little of that goin on.
    and other things *<[:-)>
    IMGP3571.jpg
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Hey...If you got it, Flaunt it. I always say...well someone said it anyway...nice beard, be such a waste not to share that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plJMQeKpz40

Terri Clark, she the one for me alright.
    Not sure how she would look with a beard though.....

Journal Entries

I can't stand my facial hair. Since I was a kid I've had problem skin and if I let the facial hair grow, one or two days is fine but after that it has to come off or I regret it. My beard is patchy also so it doesn't exactly look the best. It also exacerbates rosacea, which I have. I have been tempted to have electrolysis treatments which would solve the problem. But yes, I will be shaving on the trail....somehow.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++