WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Six Moons Designs Lunar Solo LE

Have any of you all used the SMD Lunar Solo LE on the AT. I'm looking for a lightweight solo tent for when I go backpacking. What did you think of the tent? How well did it work for you? Would you recommend it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the SMD Lunar Solo (not the LE). I purchased that and the Contrail from Tarptent. I preferred the contrail but the Lunar Solo is also an excellent shelter. I found the Contrail was easier to set up, good ventilation, and gave me more room laying down (I'm 6'3"tall) although it is 6" shorter than the Lunar Solo. This is due to the slope caused by the A frame build. This is just my opinion though, others may feel differently. The advantage of the Lunar Solo is i could sit up in it. I could have easily opted for it instead as it has good ventilation with doors open as well. Both have the bathtub floor and vestibule to keep your gear, both great options on shelters. Overall if i hadn't opted for the Contrail the Lunar Solo would have been a great shelter to use. My AT trip was shortened due to injury, so others opinions would be helpful for a different perspective.

Do you think it would be long enough for me being 6'4"?

The lunars length is 90" and i have enough room, you will be ok too.

It will be long enough, but you will bump into the walls when trying to sit up. This can be a problem if their wet. There is also a pretty good chance the foot of your bag will rub up against the wall, wicking in moisture. The other problem is the Lunar Solo has a fairly large foot print.

last year I replaced my 5 year old Lunar Solo with the Skyscape Trekker and am very happy with it, even though it does take 2 poles to hold it up.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Honuben View Post
    I have the SMD Lunar Solo (not the LE). I purchased that and the Contrail from Tarptent. I preferred the contrail but the Lunar Solo is also an excellent shelter. I found the Contrail was easier to set up, good ventilation, and gave me more room laying down (I'm 6'3"tall) although it is 6" shorter than the Lunar Solo. This is due to the slope caused by the A frame build. This is just my opinion though, others may feel differently. The advantage of the Lunar Solo is i could sit up in it. I could have easily opted for it instead as it has good ventilation with doors open as well. Both have the bathtub floor and vestibule to keep your gear, both great options on shelters. Overall if i hadn't opted for the Contrail the Lunar Solo would have been a great shelter to use. My AT trip was shortened due to injury, so others opinions would be helpful for a different perspective.
    So would you say the Tarptent Contrail is a better buy?

It's just personal opinion that i like the contrail better. I just moved to Lagrange,KY and not sure how far Elizabethtown is from here. But if you are wanting to drive out here you can get a side by side comparison. PM me if you want and we can set something up.

Images

I believe SMD has added a few inches to the Lunar Solo. That might help for taller folks.

I used a SMD Wild Oasis which has the same footprint as the Lunar Solo on the CDT. I'm 6ft and there was an occasional issue with condensate from the tarp wetting the foot of my bag. I resolved this by zipping up my eVent rain jacket and placing the bottom of the sleeping bag within.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

++ New Posts ++