WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default BD Alpine Carbon Cork

Does anyone know whether it is possible to purchase just the bottom segment of the BD Alpine carbon cork trekking pole? Had mine snap and have a call into BD warranty but thought I'd check here. Taking a zero in Breck on my CT thru hike. Luckily the remaining section of my damaged pole is still good for setting up my Hexamid twin and I have one good pole remaining!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Just checked Black Diamond's site and they do show an Alpine Carbon lower shaft in their spare parts section of the site. The price is $14.95 (which seems really cheap) and the part number is BD0113870000ALLS. They're showing it as "Item currently unavailable" though. According to their locator, there are no online dealers or dealers in CT with the part in stock.
    Last edited by Offshore; 08-02-2014 at 17:17.

Thanks, that's great info! I may just live with walking with one pole and using the broken one for my shelter. Better than buying a new set of poles I think...
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

No problem, glad to help. I'd still try and warranty it out with BD when you can. They'll probably send a whole new pole or maybe a pair. Just be careful of any splinters from the broken edge of the carbon fiber. BTW - How'd did it break? I have the same poles and find myself either subconsciously babying them or just using my aluminum trail ergos.

I was being careless descending from Georgia Pass in section 6 of the Colorado Trail. Heard thunder and feeling exposed, I was rushing and slipped on a wet rock. I credit the pole for avoiding a worse mishap.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Indeed...situations like that are exactly why we have them.

Just realized I pulled a bonehead move and entered in CT on the BD site when searching. I checked Colorado and if you are near Breckenridge, they show availability at Mountain Angler 800-453-4669, Christy Sports 970-547-5954, and Mountain Outfitters 970-453-2201. In Dillon, its Wilderness Sports 970-468-5687

Who knows if BD's site is accurate, but its worth a couple of calls.

Thanks! I already called Mountain Outfitters but they don't have parts. They do have a single pole though... Will have to try the others.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Since the tip end of the lower section of the pole still had some length to it I was able to reinsert it into the middle section and it works! The top section has to be extended longer than normal to account for the short bottom piece but it seems to work until I get the replacement part.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Just closing the loop on this thread ... BD did not agree that the break was a warranty issue but they sent a new lower piece anyway! Very good customer service.

I was going to recommend just asking at a shop and have them call BD on our behalf. Sometime a retailer can get a manufacturer to agree to give you replacement gear for free right out of the store stock, and then the store is reimbursed by the manufacturer.

Glad to hear it worked out, though! Sometimes I wonder what the world would be like if all companies cared about customer service like outdoor manufacturers.

I used the BD carbon cork poles this summer and they didn't even last three months. The hinges were so rusted they are frozen solid and customer service has been no help at all.

I'm on my third Alpine Cork pole (I only use one at a time) as after about a year of hard use the cork disintegrates. I sent an email about it 2 years ago but never got a response. I see Gossamer Gear sells cork grips but their hole slot is only a 1/2 inch wide, too small I think for my BK D pole grip. Instead I ordered some foam cane grips and some foam bicycle grips. Gotta hack saw the head off the BK D first and slide on the foam. Hope it works.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I'm on my third Alpine Cork pole (I only use one at a time) as after about a year of hard use the cork disintegrates. I sent an email about it 2 years ago but never got a response. I see Gossamer Gear sells cork grips but their hole slot is only a 1/2 inch wide, too small I think for my BK D pole grip. Instead I ordered some foam cane grips and some foam bicycle grips. Gotta hack saw the head off the BK D first and slide on the foam. Hope it works.
    Hey Tipi, very interesting, as with a lot of gear, you have to do some hands on tweeking. Just a thought for the GG grips, how bout a drill press to ream a few mils out?

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Hey Tipi, very interesting, as with a lot of gear, you have to do some hands on tweeking. Just a thought for the GG grips, how bout a drill press to ream a few mils out?
    I think my cork-less BK D handles are about 3/4 inches wide, and reaming out the GG grips to that size might make them too fragile---faster wear.

My next hiking pole(s) will not be cork handles---although they work great at 0F. OR I may just get the Gossamer poles and order several cork replacement grips. Dang big picture but the GG replacement grips look sweet. See

http://gossamergear.com/lightrek-replacement-grips.html

BTW, Gossamer Gear calls these "kork o lon" which don't seem to be cork at all but foam???

Here's more info---more than anyone could possibly want to know---

http://briangreen.net/2013/02/cleani...e-handles.html

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I think my cork-less BK D handles are about 3/4 inches wide, and reaming out the GG grips to that size might make them too fragile---faster wear.

My next hiking pole(s) will not be cork handles---although they work great at 0F. OR I may just get the Gossamer poles and order several cork replacement grips. Dang big picture but the GG replacement grips look sweet. See

http://gossamergear.com/lightrek-replacement-grips.html

I have used the GG LT4 poles for the past couple of years, I will say for 3 and 4 season. Have had no issues with the grips sept they get pretty slimey after awhile. I will wash with soap water, however to 'deep' clean I'll mix a lil bleach/water solution and let them soak. This particular pair of poles I am referring to have lasted around 2000 miles. I have returned the lower sections twice for tip replacement, at no charge to me but shipping. I will add, light winter use no longer than a few days. So I cannot comment on extended deep winter use.

Images

Still like me some homecarved river birch sticks too.

++ New Posts ++