WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i've never carried one and never used anyone's? i do have duct tape and ibuprofen.
    That's my first aid kit, too... Along with some string.
    Lazarus

I was going to mention the sponge. You are better off with a microfiber dish towel.
    They sell on at my publix that is super light and dries fast.

I will say for me back in the old days a sponge was always in my pack but I used it for my tent interior.

Images

I like Roccodocs comment. I went from 15lbs. to 11.5 lbs and found I suffered too much. Got too wet in Wild Oasis tarp, not enough camp clothes, no camp shoes had my feet wet for days. Back to lightweight in the 14-16 range, but I am really did the experiment and know I can go down if I have to.

Journal Entries

Your current pack can be modified to save some weight. The 'brain' can be removed without cutting (and reattached if needed) and the REI Flash 62 has a water bladder pocket that can be cut out to save some weight. This pack also has some unusually long straps which can be shortened. Now that's not going to get you down to 1 lb, but should easily take it under the 3 lb mark. IIRC the brain is surprisingly heavy.

I would also consider taking a plunge for some pricy items before the new pack. A total tent with bugnet (and all needed items such as stakes) can be had for 1 lb (z-pack heximid - weight assuming you use treking poles). Also perhaps look to quilts instead of bags. Both will save you quite a bit of weight and space before plunging into your new pack size.

Sleeping pads may also help you out here, getting rid of the CCF to a inflatable that fits inside the pack is very nice. But the sleeping pad depends on the bag or quilt being used.

Journal Entries
    Images

Of course the real weight is food and water.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Of course the real weight is food and water.
    Dehydrated water and sticks is the only way to go for true ultralighters.
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

I just want to make clear; there is ultralight done right and there is stupid light where ultra light is done poorly. There is no reason why a person can't go under 10lbs and be safe in 3 season conditions on a long trail. However, not everyone is willing to sacrifice something to get to that point, but there is benefit of the process of trying to drop pack weight as you learn alot about your personal camp style and whats important to you. I spent a decade transitioning from traditional backpacking to ultralight. It was a gradual process of trial and error changing just a little at a time. Over the duration of many experiments with different gear and camping styles, I was able to find the things that were most important to me and more easily eliminate those things that were secondary. For me, my gear reflects my personal camping style as much as it does my desire to drop weight. I can easily go out with an 8lbs baseweight for most 3 season conditions without any saftey issues. But I typically go 9-9.5 lbs since there are items that I enjoy having with me and I don't mind the extra weight to do so.

One of the main issues about just how light you can go and be happy is about whether you are primarily a hiker or a camper. A person who is more about hiking is more comfortable with a lighter pack as it makes the hiking easier. A person who likes to spend time in camp wants some extra comforts there and is willing to carry a bit of extra weight. As a hiker, I only stop to camp to sleep and maybe have dinner if I didn't stop earlier to eat. So I don't spend much time playing around in camp before going to bed. So things like camp shoes never made sense to me as I never needed them.

You can buy a new pack first, but you should be prepared to have to replace it a year or two later as a result. I know this from experience. I have enough gear in storage to outfit 5 extra hikers carrying different weight classifications. One area people don't think about is their sleep pad. Some people can go with a torso foam pad in summer and sleep at night and carry less then 8oz. Others need a a nice air mattress (at least until it leaks overnight) at a higher weight penalty. Know yourself. For me, after 2-3 nights out, I can sleep on anything, others think they are the Princess from the Princess and the Pea fairy tail. Get a good down sleeping bag. A quilt is even lighter. Get the lightest you can afford for the temperature rating you need. Properly cared for, they last over a decade. There are plenty of shelters around a pound or so. Zpacks makes some nice ones. TarpTents are also nice. I used a small tarp/bivy (less than a pound) for years without issues and having a bivy sack was nice for use in AT shelters against bugs or as a lightweight sleeping bag when it was warm at night. But some people will never be able to leave a tent. So go out and learn about yourself and what you like and that will dictate what gear is right.

Images

Yes, concentrate on the "big 3", but another easy way is to just simply leave the truly useless stuff home. A small, useful knife, not a 10" gator killer is one example and probably saves 5 ounces or more. Water bottles from the grocery section or collapsible water containers instead of Nalgene usually saves 3 to 5 ounces each. Customize your cook kit to only what you need; most people don't need 2 or 3 pots, bowls, etc. I have rarely used anything in my 1st aid kit; that said I do carry one, but it is also customized to my needs. Lots of stuff you are already carrying can be used for 1st aid too.
    What everyone carries is their decision. You have to decide, on trail carry comfort or camp comfort, or you can actually have both if you select your gear carefully. All things being equal, if you are deciding between 2 pieces of gear, pick the lighter one. It is surprising how much lightweight, durable, functional gear you can get at a big-box store. Shirts, pants, sleeping bags (yes, a down bag at Walmart for $80, but be aware that quality control is not precise on the bag). Most of my clothes come from walmart. A very functional down hooded jacket at the end of season spring sale: $9 and 9 1/2 ounces. A butter fleece shirt for $5 and 5 1/4 ounces. Long john bottoms $5 and 5 1/2 ounces. Going UL does not have to Ultralight your wallet. Just by getting rid of excess stuff and "customizing" what you already have can reduce pack weight quite a bit.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

You might want to check out Ray Jardines Beyond Backpacking. He is the godfather of ultra light and his book covers ultralight options in great detail. I just bought a copy and am finding it to be a informative and a good read. I just got a hip replacement so I'm forced to get lighter physically and with my gear. Whatever it takes to keep me on the trail...Wish me luck.

I Have The new Six Moons SkyscapeX That Weighs 16.5 Ozs. You Can Go Lighter And Still Have Bug Protection!
    If you come to a fork in the road...take it - Yogi Berra

<double post>
    Last edited by Connie; 11-04-2014 at 11:49. Reason: Double post

Light: No headlamp, LED built-in hat brim: google "LED hat light"

multitool: No multitool, individual tools in zip-lock, for example, one allen key, or, a stubby driver with different bits. Is it only for the knife? How about a lightweight and strong ceramic kitchen paring knife with a plastic knife sheath.

Sleep: Hammock Gear top quilt and Cascade Designs attachment kit for small NeoAir Xtherm. Have backpack under lower legs instead of the full-size air mattress.

Shelter: Sil-nylon or cuben tarp, ZPacks solo cuben and Gossamer Gear polycryo ground sheet

lighter: SparkLite

Clothing: "swim" shorts with built-in underwear

This is different stuff for your consideration.
    Last edited by Connie; 11-04-2014 at 11:54.

Bag
    Sierra Designs Zissou 12
    39 oz lb g kg oz

Th

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++