WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default First Aid Kit Question

Just read another post about someone leaving a first aid kit out of their packs all together... Was wondering what consists of a decent first aid kit? Right now, weekend hikes are what I'm able to do, so I don't have to worry about being too far from help.

I currently have a handful of Vitamin I, a few antihistamine pills, a variety of band-aids, a good square of moleskin, a small stick of body glide & a tiny pair of scissors (I stopped carrying a knife, after realizing I never used it except for whittling sticks in camp).

Just wondering what those with more experience bring.

Here's what i carry.
    5 small bandaids & 5 medium bandaids
    2 small Gause Bandages
    small amount of triple acting ointment
    about 10ft of heavy duty Duct tape for blister treatment
    a small bottle of new skin ( waterproof )
    a small set of finger nail clippers
    a small set of twizzers for tick removal
    a small set of scissors
    a needle and a small amount of thread
    and a few Ibruprophren
    if i find that i need something else than what i normally carry i will pick it up at a resupply, most of the time i only have to use the twizzers, fingernail clippers, scissors, new skin, and the duct tape. rest of it is usally extra items but i carry them just in case, but don't ever venture into the back country without some kind of firstaid.

A couple Aleve (can't take Ibuprofen), a couple Tylenol PM, a few doses of Immodium, a couple of aspirin (older guy, just in case), a couple Benadryl, a couple cough drops, some burn cream, some antibiotic ointment, hand sanitizer, tweezers, moleskin, 4"x4" gauze pads, leukotape, ear plugs (not first aid, but keeping them here makes them easy to find), and a laminated card with my blood type, drug allergies, emergency contact info and insurance info.

Advil, Immodium, and duct tape. No cell phone to call mommy or 911, and I don't borrow from others.

I recently watched a thru-hike video, the link is long gone, where someone got a gear shakedown when they got to Mountain Crossings if I recall correctly.

The guy there basically threw out all the first aid stuff except for some gauze and tape. I think he said someone along the lines of if you need more than that you'd be getting off trail and going to a hospital.
    --

Hike Safe.

Quote Originally Posted by sympathetic joy View Post
    I recently watched a thru-hike video, the link is long gone, where someone got a gear shakedown when they got to Mountain Crossings if I recall correctly.

The guy there basically threw out all the first aid stuff except for some gauze and tape. I think he said someone along the lines of if you need more than that you'd be getting off trail and going to a hospital.
    Found the link. It was from Road Less Traveled. Starting at 20:00.

http://video.vpt.org/video/2364989997/
    --

Hike Safe.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think it is foolish to NOT carry a basic first aid kit for field treatable injuries. This includes meds.

I ask myself 3 things when planning a trip:

1. What are the most likely injuries/illnesses to occur?
    2. Which of those are field treatable?
    3. What is the cost/benefit ratio of those treatments?

For the AT, the most likely issues are:

-Overuse injuries (tendinitis, blisters, etc)
    -Cutaneous infections (infected blisters or small wounds)
    -Tick-borne and mosquito-borne diseases: Lyme, erlichiosis, west nile, etc
    -Enteric pathogens: fecal coliforms from poor hand hygeine, shelters, bad food. Also giardia and babesiosis from water.
    -Stings and allergic reactions

The above conditions can be treated with a simple wound care kit (gauze, betadine, steri-strips, band aids, sting eze or an Epi Pen if needed), and a few Rx and OTC meds. Those would be Cephalexin for cutaneous infections, Ciprofloxacin for nonspecific GI infections, Metronidazole for protozoan infections like Giardia, Doxycycline for Lyme, Ibuprofen for aches and pains, and perhaps a PPI, Ondansetron, or bismuth drug for generalized GI upset.

In addition, a basic foot care kit should be carried an include: moleskin, duct tape, Hydropel or similar, and Neosporin for blisters.

ALL of the above can be obtained via an understanding primary care doc and a drug store, and should not weigh more than 10-12 oz.

Other injuries, like bad sprains, fractures and serious illnesses are NOT field treatable and medical attention will be required.

I'm sure a bunch of folks will chime in and say "I've been hiking for ____ years and never needed more than ibuprofen." That's great....until it isn't. Small injuries can turn serious (e.g. an infected blister or GI illness) if untreated, so carrying some basic treatment at the cost of a few ounces is literally in this case worth a pound (or days) of cure.

Having survived 6 skin cancer surgeries, I am allowed to say: SPF 50 clothing and SPF 50 sunscreen.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Because I frequently travel with children, I carry child medications (such as Children's Advil) with a dosage chart for various ages, including adults. That way, I'm not carrying two sets of all medications (and dosage for all medications are retyped on a single sheet I can waterproof).

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Looks like I have most of the suggested items (will be adding neosporin though). I forgot to mention that I carry duct tape on my poles & hand sanitizer with my cook kit... So those are available as well.

Since I'm only doing day & weekend hikes, "sucking it up" with what I have should be ok. Not that it's a matter of just ignoring issues, but infections & intestinal issues would only be a doctors visit away, unlike a thru hike, where it's a big inconvenience & possibly a few days away.

Quote Originally Posted by sympathetic joy View Post
    Found the link. It was from Road Less Traveled. Starting at 20:00.

http://video.vpt.org/video/2364989997/
    We are talking about the AT here. I think the guy at Neels Gap in the video is correct (but I'd keep the water filter). What do you really need for mechanical injuries other than a few bandages and some basic footcare stuff for blisters/hotspots? You do carry line for your bear bag, right? That can be used with sticks or poles to make splint, or even make a tourniquet, if need be (probably to use on someone else). A few doses of analgesics for pain. Some Imodium for the runs (it happens). Pretty much everything else can be had in a town.

If you develop a serious infection or sustain a serious injury, all you need to do is have enough stuff to get yourself off the trail. Any laceration or puncture wound that needs more than a band-aid will have to be handled by a doctor or in an ER. It's unlikely you will be able to properly clean, pack and dress a wound to yourself in the field, and then keep hiking for days on end while the wound heals. You increase the power of your first aid kit by including a couple of doses of narcotics - like Vicodin or Oxycodone - so you can hike injured to get yourself to medical help.

All together, all the first aid stuff should weigh no more than a few ounces.

OH - I forgot to add, that if you are really worried about a bad puncture wound or deep laceration as might be sustained in fall, you can carry a small amount of Dermabond, which is a medical version of super glue and works well in an emergency.

^Agree with your posts but be careful with Dermabond and deep puncture wounds. Creates a pseudo-anaerobic environment which can host some nasty bugs. Also never ever ever close a bite wound, animal or human.

Still have a few packs of quick clot from my deployment :P I'll cave in & use my cell before then though haha

Garlic
    Images

The most important thing nobody's mentioned yet is training and a cool head. The best kit in the world does nothing in a state of panic.

Prevention is right up there too--stay away from avoidable risky situations, and don't get blisters or sunburn or frostbite in the first place.

Carry the meds you need. My thru-hike kit consists mainly of skin care. Much of my clothing is selected for preventing heat and cold injuries. I never get joint pain or headaches, so I don't carry Vitamin I. I never get gastrointestinal problems, so I don't carry those meds. I have suffered from occasional foot fungus, so I carry a small tube of fungicide--skin care. I carry a small tube of triple antibiotic to treat small cuts or abrasions--again, skin care. My kit fits into a snack-sized ziplock baggie.

I also carry a sleeping bag, shelter, foam pad, bandanna, tape, para cord, lighter and sewing kit for other reasons, but these can easily be used for first aid.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

In addition to what others have listed, I usually bring some extra vitamin I in case someone else needs some...doesn't weigh but breeze.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Pharmaceuticals - R - Us
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Someone else mentioned Imodium. Some sort of anti-gas pills are a good idea. Some sadist keeps putting digestive terrors (freeze-dried refried beans, freeze-dried black bean hummus) on group menus...

Images

THIS CAN HELP SAVE A LIFE ; taking an accredited CPR/ Basic life support class though your local American Red Cross or civic organization.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Ibuprofen (for hangovers more than anything)
    Anti-diarrheal
    One or two capsules of decongestant in case I'm so stuffed up I can't sleep
    Neosporin
    Duct tape
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++