WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Temps in GA now...October

Anybody been up into N GA and have a temp report for what's up there now, I can always look it up on local news, but wondering about in the mtns. Any info?
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Smile
    Anybody been up into N GA and have a temp report for what's up there now, I can always look it up on local news, but wondering about in the mtns. Any info?
    The first "real" cold front of the fall season is passing through tonight. Thank goodness!! There will finally be a nip in the air.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Thanks! Nippy is good.
    ad astra per aspera

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Low seventies daytime, low fifties at night
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    The first "real" cold front of the fall season is passing through tonight. Thank goodness!! There will finally be a nip in the air.
    Woowoo! My pack is packed! 29.5 pounds with food, water and Lekis. I don't think it's cold enough to add the polypros yet. I've got a capilene for the top and Frog Toggs top and bottom and a 30 degree down bag. I don't think that'll be a problem. If so, too freakin' bad. Too tired to re-pack. Mebbe add a stocking cap...

I'll be sleeping on the AT tonight.
    Just hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There
    Low seventies daytime, low fifties at night
    Ahh heck. I was hoping for a lot colder when I read Li'l Bear's report. Oh well. Still good sleeping in the 50s.

I hope I haven't thrown anyone for a loop, but I recently asked Troll to change my screen name from franklooper to my trailname. I earned it fair and square, after all...
    Just hike.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Nightwalker, consider extending your the tag line after your screen name to read "Hiker-Guy formerly known as franklooper".
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

I'll be heading to Springer in a week and half or so and doing an overnight.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Smile

No the weather is terrible in Georgia, you need to go north. Yeah that's the ticket, go north. :-)

The weather is starting to be absolutly perfect. This past weekend a friend of mine went to north Georgia and said it was just incredible.

Images

Default Temps on the AT

This isn't a specific response, but Thru-hiker has a great planning tool at:
    http://www.thru-hiker.com/temporal.asp
    I use this to get an idea of what the range of temps I can expect for section hikes as I plan them. Don't forget to bias for altitude; generally drop 3 to 5 degrees for each 1,000 feet.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Thanks for the input, just got back from my weekend hike Tray Mtn - Dicks Creek Gap - weather was terrific, low 50's at night and a bright grandfather moon....
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Last week in Ga, the weather was 70s to 60s according to elevation. Nights were 50s to low 40s, again, elevation dependent.

It was wonderful hiking weather. Hopefully, the smokies are next!
    Just hike.

Section Hiker

I was camping near Slaughter Cove/Blood Mtn. Sunday night, had some light frost. Brasstown Bald (4,784 ft) remote weather station reported temps in low 30s. Temps have moderated considerably today, but clear weather still for next few days.

I often check this link for mountain weather before heading up from ATL for a hike. Here's the weather link: http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/rom...t=0&time=LOCAL

There are also 2 live web cams during daylight hours, facing north and south - the US flag is a good wind indicator, and I can tell if the mountains are socked in fog, or snow/ice: http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/conditions/webcam.htm
    Last edited by Drala Hiker; 10-19-2005 at 00:36.

Geezer

Thanks for the input, just got back from my weekend hike Tray Mtn - Dicks Creek Gap - weather was terrific, low 50's at night and a bright grandfather moon....
    Enjoyed your trip report. I'm heading south tomorrow for a compromise vacation. Two weeks in Orlando (my wife's pick) followed by a week in north Georgia mtns (my pick). Hope to re-visit some of the nice spots I hiked this past spring, but will likely just dayhike.
    Frosty

++ New Posts ++