WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I know you're looking for advice from others on this topic - But this is clearly a question of what YOU can comfortably live with or without. My suggestion would be to go on an extended hike, at least 5-7 days, then make the decision as to whether they were needed in camp.

Personally I hike in sandals year round and have no need for any other footwear.

Quote Originally Posted by Wülfgang View Post
    Check out Xeroshoes.

A DIY sandal kit that weighs under 4 0z.
    I cut up an old ridgerest to make sandals like these. Just over an ounce for the pair.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

I have not used camp shoes, but I'm still experimenting and my try some to see if I like them. A lot of people talk about the weight. I also get annoyed by the clutter. Despite my attempts to keep things organized and only take what is absolutely necessary, I find I am surrounded by gear by the time I get everything unpacked and ready for bed. I'd rather not have yet another thing in the tent to keep track of.

I use them but most of my hiking is done on the FNST and the last one included 6 days straight of 8 - 10 hours constantly underwater. It sure is nice to get to camp and have dry shoes.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I see that at this year's OR show various vendors are pushing shoe that purport to vent the bottom of the foot.
    Personally I tried various things based on I just like to go barefoot. Finally found moccasins (with soles) to be a good tho heavy solution. Loose on the foot and I can wear them with other socks while my boots and hiking socks are venting from the day's work. Recently acquired a pair of canoe shoes to try, ultra light and not much sole to them. We'll see.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

If I'm going somewhere that I expect a stream crossing that I can't rock-hop, submerged bog bridging, or extensive beaver activity, I bring water shoes that double as camp shoes. Otherwise, I just loosen the laces on my trail runners and use them. For virtually all the A-T outside Maine (and maybe a spot or two like Pochuck Swamp in New Jersey) I wouldn't bother with water shoes.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

I tried without, three days of wet feet put them back in my pack.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    I tried without, three days of wet feet put them back in my pack.
    That is my opinion. Trail runners work just fine if things aren't soaked, but if you've been slogging for 15 miles in soaked boots in moderately cool temps you really aren't going to want to use them around camp. I use the outer soles of Vivobarefoot shoes, with neoprene booties and/or plastic breadbags over Turtlefur socks (9.5 oz. men's size 10).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

As Kerosene has already mentioned, try bread bags for a light alternative.Since I like to have a wash as soon as I arrive at camp , I then don't want to put dirty/wet socks on or clean socks inside dirty/wet shoes.
    So I put a pair of thin Coolmax socks on then a bread bag and my day socks on top of that.
    Then I wear the runners opened up (loose laces)
    Those bread bags can come very usefull to warm up your feet and even your hands at night as they are in effect a vapour barrier.
    Don't last long but you can carry several for almost no weight.

Personal preference issue. I've always carried camp sandals or Crocs. Currently, I've been using Crocs for the last 15 yrs or so. Really nice to bail out of a tent (or shelter) & slip on the Crocs w/o bending over and take care of business in the middle of the night.

Minor weight penalty. But, I'm willing to deal w/ it.

This kind of falls into the category of, "If there's a doubt, there is no doubt".

If you wonder if you can use a second set of "camp" shoes, then you should bring them. As has been pointed out, there are more than enough opportunities to ship them home if you find you don't need them. "Camp" shoes can be used for a variety of thing like water crossings, camp errands, wearing in town, walking along several miles of pavement, etc.

Images

This is personal preference. I normally do not use camp shoes because I'm either walking or sleeping. On my thru hike I did carry very lightweight flip flops for about 1500 miles to wear every chance I got such as in town. My feet were so shredded from hundreds of miles of snow that they needed a bit of TLC. While this may be heresy in the UL crowd, the couple of ounces to my 8lb base were well worth it in that case. Haven't carried them since though.

G'day - I use beachcombers and here is a link in case they are not called that in the states. Great for water crossings and you can wear them with socks if it's cold, also easy to slip on at night if you can't hold it any longer as well. http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/onlin...80125006#Combo

One thing to think about that affects the weight is that some light weight shoes or sandals can get quite heavy when they are wet....and everything that you take is going to get wet at some point or another. Have found that even strap sandals have a funky odor after being wet for a week...but that is just probably my foot odor and it does not happen to anyone else...has driven me to Croc type camp shoes that will not absorb water. My favorites are $9 Wal Mart specials. They weight nothing, strap onto my back pack with a light weight beiner, and provide something for me to put my foot into in the middle of the night instead of boots with laces. I like my hiking boots for steep terrain (especially when you are on one side of your foot) and rocks. I also like my light weight camp shoes for crossing rivers and getting out of my sleeping bag at night. You might think of how heavy or stinky a particular camp shoe is going to be wet, and then make up your mind.

Images

Depends. Out for a day or two, deal with. Multi wks/mons, feels mighty nice to shed tred at the end of the day and don thin skin or even a teva. Let them dogs air out , don't stomp round in the dirt. Etc, etc...

Fastpacker
    Images

I have a pair of toms slip ons, not sure the weight, but they are pretty light and really comfy. Couldn't see them weighing more than anyone else's campshoes.
    When hiking in bear country one does not need to be the fastest runner in the party, just not the slowest - TalusMonkey

As others have stated it is a personal preference. For years I have carried a pair of cheap Walmart sandals, but on my recent CT hike, I ditched them. For me they are nice, but I need to reduce my pack weight and dropping the camp shoes is a first step.

Crocs at Bass Pro, online only for $16.97.
    Duck Commander pattern for men and limited inventory.

Rolls Kanardly
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Short trips I don't take a camp shoe. But for extended trips where I will be staying in hostels, I always take them. You will be expected to remove wet/dirty shoes when you enter most hostels and I don't like to go barefoot. Just asking for a good case of athletes foot if you don't wear something in hostel showers (and campground showers as well).
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

As long as they are light (Crocks wanna-be, real Crocks are kinda heavy) they are well worth it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++