WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Those pics look strangely familiar to the microscopic pics posted on line of Macdaddy's McNuggets. I'm pro human population control.
    Eat more Top Ramen..... w/ McNuggets..... w/ bacon strips fried in butter.

I like Ramen but +1 on finding a place to leave the flavor packet. I like cous cous. I like stove top stuffing too. Umm, I guess that doesn't answer the question. Was there a question? I just add various OTC spices: curry, any Asian, red pepper, dehydrated veggies, Cajun, etc.

I had a korean girfriend in the 70s and she always made us ramen with an egg every day - it was kickazz! I think its probably the most natural food you can get on the trail. and she was a natural women!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Those pics look strangely familiar to the microscopic pics posted on line of Macdaddy's McNuggets. I'm pro human population control.
    Eat more Top Ramen..... w/ McNuggets..... w/ bacon strips fried in butter.
    If we want to control the human population, then maybe we should go back to living life like we did in the 1900's when we ate all natural unprocessed foods.

Interesting look at deaths back then compared to today. http://www.businessinsider.com/leadi...d-today-2014-6

Be a lot less rugrats running around http://www.trailend.org/you-dangers.htm

Excerpt:

"In 1900, nearly 165 of every 1,000 children born in America died before their first birthday (in some cities this number was as high as 300). If they survived infancy, children still had to fight to survive: at the turn of the century, 20 percent of the nation's children died before the age of ten. Most were victims of contaminated water, unsanitary living conditions, unpasteurized milk and poor nutrition, as well as contagious diseases.

Today, America's infant mortality rate hovers around 7 percent. This marked decrease in childhood death is due in part to a better understanding of nutrition and public health (1910s and 20s) and the introduction of antibiotics (1930s and 40s). In addition, many of the childhood diseases that killed children in the early 20th Century have been practically eradicated in the United States. Instead of 61 percent of childhood deaths being caused by disease, only two percent can now be attributed in infectious disease."

the biggest issue with ramon noodles is the sodium content..so either put half the packet in or none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    If we want to control the human population, then maybe we should go back to living life like we did in the 1900's when we ate all natural unprocessed foods.

Interesting look at deaths back then compared to today. http://www.businessinsider.com/leadi...d-today-2014-6

Be a lot less rugrats running around http://www.trailend.org/you-dangers.htm

Excerpt:

"In 1900, nearly 165 of every 1,000 children born in America died before their first birthday (in some cities this number was as high as 300). If they survived infancy, children still had to fight to survive: at the turn of the century, 20 percent of the nation's children died before the age of ten. Most were victims of contaminated water, unsanitary living conditions, unpasteurized milk and poor nutrition, as well as contagious diseases.

Today, America's infant mortality rate hovers around 7 percent. This marked decrease in childhood death is due in part to a better understanding of nutrition and public health (1910s and 20s) and the introduction of antibiotics (1930s and 40s). In addition, many of the childhood diseases that killed children in the early 20th Century have been practically eradicated in the United States. Instead of 61 percent of childhood deaths being caused by disease, only two percent can now be attributed in infectious disease."
    It's misleading to suggest that once a long time ago before science and technology came to the world's rescue we ate "natural" unprocessed foods and today the world only eats processed unnatural foods. In the 1900's the U.S. for example ate some processed foods, and today, in the U.S., some people absolutely do still consume diets high in minimally processed as close to the earth local foods.

It's also misleading to suggest that mortality rates in the 1900's were solely a consequence of the foods we ate. Many factors contribute to or are correlated with mortality rates.

Sorry for the posts last night. - Posting while drunk is never smart.
    Last edited by JohnnySnook; 10-18-2014 at 13:43. Reason: Drunk Post.

Some reason my Quote funtion isn't working....

Originally Posted by Dogwood
    It's misleading to suggest that once a long time ago before science and technology came to the world's rescue we ate "natural" unprocessed foods and today the world only eats processed unnatural foods. In the 1900's the U.S. for example ate some processed foods, and today, in the U.S., some people absolutely do still consume diets high in minimally processed as close to the earth local foods.

I agree, both terms, Processed foods and Natural, are not used in a precise manner. Interesting little article on the history of processed foods http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-year-history/

Sun dried tomatoes are processed foods; it's definetly not something you find in nature. I was speaking of processed foods in the modern sense of the term, since so many freak out about supposed "chemicals", whatever that means. I don't believe it's a big deal in the big picture. We're on a path to evolve away from food and I'm all for that, but I'll say no more, it's a secret

Originally Posted by Dogwood
    It's also misleading to suggest that mortality rates in the 1900's were solely a consequence of the foods we ate. Many factors contribute to or are correlated with mortality rates.

Absolutely true. I wasn't suggesting that, neither were my links. So many factors involved and it's another reason why food isn't as big a deal as many make it out to be, but again, it's a secret

After seeing a photo of undigested ramen noodles in a persons digestive tract, i decided to stop eating ramen. In search of substitute I found Riesa soup noodles from Germany. I know make my own "ramen soup". Preopack the noodles, chicken stock or beef stock plus veggies. I purchased some very good stock powders as well as veggies from Packit Gormet
    http://www.teigwaren-riesa.com/en/pr...n-soup-noodles

Any food, regardless of how "wholesome" is not a pretty sight inside a digestive tract; let alone when it comes out

Pretty good article on diets and how people fool themselves into thinking that there is some magical forumla to health thru foods. There is not; it's mostly in the mind.

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog...y_science.html

Excerpt:

"Author Matt Fitzgerald summarized the finding, or rather, the lack thereof, in his new book Diet Cults:
    "Science has not identified the healthiest way to eat. In fact, it has come as close as possible (because you can't prove a negative) to confirming that there is no such thing as the healthiest diet. To the contrary, science has established quite definitively that humans are able to thrive equally well on a variety of diets. Adaptability is the hallmark of man as eater. For us, many diets are good while none is perfect."

Further support for this notion comes from a simple glance back at the history of our species. Mankind has populated almost every corner of the earth, and in every diverse situation, humans were able to survive, even thrive, on whatever food their homes had to offer.

Even more convincing evidence has been found by observing those who have lived the longest. The University of California-Irvine's 90+ Study has tracked thousands of Americans who've made it to age 90 and beyond, yielding an unprecedented wealth of information about their lifestyle habits. For lead investigators Claudia Kawas and Maria Corrada, the most surprising finding they made is that most participants didn't seem to be too concerned with their health. Generally, the 90-year-olds said they didn't really keep to a restrictive diet.

Nor did they abstain from alcohol, quite the opposite actually! The researchers found that up two drinks a day -- no matter the type -- was associated with a 10-15% reduced risk of death. They also discovered other things that might disturb ardent dieters. Vitamin supplements did not affect lifespan in any way, and being a little overweight starting in middle age positively affected longevity.

But what if you're already overweight and want to shed some pounds? In that case, pick whatever diet works for you, because they all can work. What matters the most for weight loss is finding a solution that you can adhere to. That much was elucidated in a review recently published to the Journal of the American Medical Association. Scientists reviewed a multitude of randomized trials on popular diets and, lo and behold, found that they all engendered weight loss, with minimal differences between each one.

Just like there is no one true religion, there is no one true diet. So why do so many dieters believe that there is?"

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Pedaling Fool: You mean my strategy of "try to stay at least moderately active, don't worry about borderline overweight, and eat what I please," has scientific justification? (Well, my doctor tells me I'm doing something right, based on things like BP and lipid profile.)

And I have no problems with ramen. Throw away the flavor packet, add some dehydrated tomato sauce, soppressata and string cheese. Or dehydrated veggies, garlic, olive oil, and tuna. Or dehydrated cooked peas, onions, alfredo sauce mix and smoked salmon. Lots of things you can do with instant-cooking pasta.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

PF, since you don't take PMs I have to tell you here that it so often comes out that I'm nitpicking at your posts when in reality I share most of your viewpts. I'm really not as combative as I sometimes come across. I really like that you bring up engaging aspects in threads. However, what you share is sometimes so deep and often complex that I find it inadequate to address fully here on WB.

Just for the record. If you read the article, the study was done in South Korea, using Korean subjects health records and with Korean made noodles. The warning did include other instant noodles like Thai, Glass, Lo Mein, etc. Honestly it could be something in the Korean Manufacturing or in their genetics. The facts as to the why o it all are really limited, and nothing but speculation.

So the Research says Korean (especially Women)who eat instant noodles at least twice a week are more likely to get cardiometabolic syndrome....OMG I could die of cardiometabolic syndrome if I eat Ramen.....what is cardiometabolic syndrome?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_syndrome

So cardiometabolic syndrome means you are fat, have high blood pressure, pre-diabetic, with high bad cholesterol levels. So if you eat unhealthy foods more often you will be fat, unhealthy and prone to heart disease? Well Duh. Seriously you can get the same result with people who eat Snickers bars, Honey Buns, or Cheeseburgers more than twice a week.

But, but, but Ramen has MSG. When you buy a Pasta Side, or other instant trail food you may want to look for the ingredient " hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, soy extracts, ,protein isolate disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate" ...its all just a differnt way of saying MSG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast_extract

The only thing I will admit is spooky about Ramen is tert-Butylhydroquinone (TBHQ) that is yucky and I would avoid foods that contain it. I am no sure if all ramen brands have it.

"But, but, but Ramen has MSG. When you buy a Pasta Side, or other instant trail food you may want to look for the ingredient " hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, soy extracts, ,protein isolate disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate" ...its all just a differnt way of saying MSG."

Thanks YoungOne. I had forgotten some of those were basically the same thing as MSG or contained MSG. Your point details how pervasive MSG actually is in the U.S. food industry and is yet ANOTHER EXAMPLE of how the food industry hides ingredients in our food by misleading, LEGALLY of course, under the supposedly watchful eyes of the FDA. Truth in labeling Naw! The food industry fights against truth in food labeling laws every chance they get.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    "But, but, but Ramen has MSG. When you buy a Pasta Side, or other instant trail food you may want to look for the ingredient " hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, soy extracts, ,protein isolate disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate" ...its all just a differnt way of saying MSG."

Thanks YoungOne. I had forgotten some of those were basically the same thing as MSG or contained MSG. Your point details how pervasive MSG actually is in the U.S. food industry and is yet ANOTHER EXAMPLE of how the food industry hides ingredients in our food by misleading, LEGALLY of course, under the supposedly watchful eyes of the FDA. Truth in labeling Naw! The food industry fights against truth in food labeling laws every chance they get.
    Dogwood, cant disagree with you in anyway and it would be nice to see honest labeling from manufacturers. I cannot see how anyone can justify otherwise. I guess though what does irk me is that while manufacturers may want to hide ingredients, they do all to often hide them in plain site, and the consumer does have the obligation to educate themselves -- and not from the garbage media sources sounding false alarm bells.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

+1 for tossing the packet and make up your own spice/sauce combo.

Also, there are many alternatives with rice noodles these days.

They have to "cook" a bit longer, but should resolve a lot of the issues being posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    If ramen will kill you all college students would be dead.
    ALL of them Dead?? If Only.

Ramen is terrible quality starch and chemical noodels. Kyoto or any brand from Whole foods or trader joes are always better.
    But after a month of hiking your guts are part of our Furnace of a metabolism, and they will burn up so fast it wont really matter.

Journal Entries

WHat goes into it aside...
    It doesnt come out the back end undigested, so it does obviously digest.

Images

there aint nuthing sacred anymore

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++