WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lost pack and gear:(

have been a backpackers for many years, including a AT thru-hike attempt(~900 miles). However when I graduated from university and got a full time job, time got scarce. Well I found out my co-workers enjoy backpacking and we were planning a hike for labor day this year. Went to go get some gear ready and realized I cant find my pack, or gear... I was planning on getting a new pack and shelter anyways, but am really sad I cant find my AT book or some of the other items Ive hiked with for so long. Can anyone recommend me the following items, I would like to go as UL as possible while keeping comfort

• Pack(was looking at atmos 50)
    • 2 wall tent
    • stove(used jet boil previously, like the speed)
    • water filtration(used drops previously)

PM me, I have new with tags gear with prices that cant be beat. Possibly willing to meet you trail side to sell labor day weekend
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I am selling my SMD Skyscape Trekker Tent. It is not a true double wall tent, but not fully single wall either. Not sure what they call that. According to SMD it weights 24 oz. I just dropped the price.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1901842

As for your other items:

If you have used drops previously, I don't see a reason to change. Nothing would be cheaper or lighter for a weekend outing. But lots of people (including myself) use the Sawyer Mini filter. That would be an option to consider if you haven't seen it yet. They are now widely available at major stores (Wal Mart, Cabelas, etc...)

Lots of people use the ULA packs (Circuit, e.g). I use the Elemental Horizons Kalais (like it a lot). They are similar in size to the Atmos, but lighter and about the same price (a little more). Not sure if you could get one by Labor Day however as they are hard to find in stores.

Jet boil is very popular. I have used home made alcohol stoves. If you really want to save bucks, there are some really cheap (less than 10$) canister stove available on-line. Won't be as efficient as a Jet boil, but for a weekend, should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by odd man out View Post
    as for your other items:

If you have used drops previously, i don't see a reason to change. Nothing would be cheaper or lighter for a weekend outing. But lots of people (including myself) use the sawyer mini filter. That would be an option to consider if you haven't seen it yet. They are now widely available at major stores (wal mart, cabelas, etc...)
    +1 on the sawyer filter
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    As for your other items:

If you have used drops previously, I don't see a reason to change. Nothing would be cheaper or lighter for a weekend outing. But lots of people (including myself) use the Sawyer Mini filter. That would be an option to consider if you haven't seen it yet. They are now widely available at major stores (Wal Mart, Cabelas, etc...)

Lots of people use the ULA packs (Circuit, e.g). I use the Elemental Horizons Kalais (like it a lot). They are similar in size to the Atmos, but lighter and about the same price (a little more). Not sure if you could get one by Labor Day however as they are hard to find in stores.

Jet boil is very popular. I have used home made alcohol stoves. If you really want to save bucks, there are some really cheap (less than 10$) canister stove available on-line. Won't be as efficient as a Jet boil, but for a weekend, should work fine.

Thanks for the recommendations! For the pack I am looking for something with some padding in the belt. Ill take a look at ULA

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you're considering Atmos 50, you should also consider the REI Flash 62.
    The Flash is several ounces lighter.
    The Flash should hold more gear (specs say ~60L for the Flash compared to ~50L for Atmos).
    The Flash is cheaper. Not by much at regular prices... but if you can hold out til the next 20% an REI name brand gear sale, the price falls to just over $150.

Ditto on the Sawyer-Mini. You can pick that up for $20 at WalMart. The Mini is very flexible.
    You can use it inline with a water bladder.
    You can use the supplied bladder and squeeze water into a water bottle.
    You can use it in gravity mode. Simply get a bladder with a hose attached (about 2' long) and hang your dirty water bottle.
    (This is my mode of using the Mini... bought a 2L Evernew bladder for dirty water and a 2L Platypus Hoser for the hose and clean water).

A comfortable tent would be the Copper Spur UL 2. Two people can squeeze in it if you both use tapered 20" pads. But it makes for a great roomy one person tent. The weight is about 3lbs, but the cost is pretty high. If you want a similar sized tent for a lot less money, the award winning Kelty Salida 2 is a comparable tent. It's a little over 1lb heavier, but about 60% cheaper (so do you want a lighter tent or a lighter wallet?). The other major difference is that the Copper Spur has two doors and two vestibules compared to the Salida's 1 door and 1 vestibule.

On the subject of stoves and pots, check out this journal entry. There was a thread on the subject of "lightest canister stove and pot combination", and I put together this comparison of various pots and stoves that were discussed.

I was thinking about the big agnes UL tents. But after reading some reviews I am not sure. I like to have a durable product that will last. I used the same arcteryx pack for ~10 years.

Does anyone have recommendations for shelters which are lightweight but still reasonably durable.

If you do have any durability issues with a BA product, they'll stand behind it. I sent in an air mattress that I used in Iraq and they replaced it with a new (and higher end) model, no questions asked.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dholmblad View Post
    Does anyone have recommendations for shelters which are lightweight but still reasonably durable.
    I'm quite satisfied with my TarpTent Notch, at 29 oz (I got the version with the half-solid walls, which adds a couple of oz over the catalog weight.) It's held up fine for me so far, and I haven't been kind to it. I really like having side entry and a double vestibule. It's trekking pole supported - if you use poles that's a non-issue, otherwise check out the Moment and the Rainbow.

If you like speed, you can't do much better than the Jetboil. I like being able once in a while to cut the heat back to do simmering or steaming, so I use an alcohol stove with a simmer ring. The whole rig, including simmer ring, steaming jig and coffee maker, is some ounces lighter than a Jetboil. But it is slow.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

sorry to hear of your misfortune, you had gear within your circle of trust from years back. The new UL gear is very nice, so I think you will be pleased to try it. I use the Osprey Atmos 50 and love it, you can't go wrong there. Double wall tent - Big Agnes UL Fly Creek 1 or 2 are great free standing UL tents. Stove - Snow Peak Litemax. Water filter - go with the Sawyer Mini, or Aqua Mira drops.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    If you're considering Atmos 50, you should also consider the REI Flash 62.
    The Flash is several ounces lighter.
    The Flash should hold more gear (specs say ~60L for the Flash compared to ~50L for Atmos).
    The Flash is cheaper. Not by much at regular prices... but if you can hold out til the next 20% an REI name brand gear sale, the price falls to just over $150.

The Flash models are 30% off Aug 22-Sep 1 per the catalog I got in the mail today.

Tried on one of the osprey exos pack at REI, felt great. Going back tomorrow to try on some more.

Picked up:
    Jetboil sol /coffee press
    titanium spork
    tikka headlamp

Quote Originally Posted by Dholmblad View Post
    Tried on one of the osprey exos pack at REI, felt great. Going back tomorrow to try on some more.

Picked up:
    Jetboil sol /coffee press
    titanium spork
    tikka headlamp
    I have two Osprey Exos's, the 43 & 58. Both are great packs at 2.4 lbs. If you really want to go light, look at cottage gear packs such as ZPack. Love my ZPack.

StoryTellerTN
    Hike on!

Thought about getting the flycreek ul1, but somehow the ul2 is only a few oz more. Being a 6'2 guy I think I might opt for the larger version.

+1 on Fly Creek UL2

++ New Posts ++