WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

OP-
    Why are you comparing a 60 liter pack to a 70+ liter pack? Shouldn't you be comparing similar sized packs? Just wondering.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Really? Wonder what they think of the sub-1lb backpacks many of use for sub-10 lb BPW loads.

Being serious, what is a "Real" backpack ???
    Assume it has to weigh 8lbs empty, 75 loaded and has lots of stuff tied to it clanging about. Least that's been the case every time I've been accused of not doing "real backpacking". My favorite was a father and two sons out for a night near bear mtn NY. He told me he'd lead a couple scout groups at Philmont where the do real backpacking. He had some giant leather boots with his own personalized logo branded into the sides and everything so I guess he was legit. I mentioned an impending storm to him and suggested we hunker down in the shelter. He scoffed (literally out loud) at the thought that the evening drizzle was going to amount to anything. The next morning we hiked down in the remnants of tropical storm Andrea.

see your in CO, did the four pass loop at the maroon bells last month, absolutely gorgeous

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Ah..I've been doing fake backpacking for many years now.

From http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/arch...p/t-29678.html

"Something similar happened to me on the Colorado Trail in 2004.

It is off the AT..but still afunny story.

Last year I was onthe my Colorado Trail hike just north (trail wise) from where the CT and the CDT split for the last time. The CT heads south and west towards Durango, the CDT heads south towards Wolf Creek Pass.

Anyway, I am hiking up the trail. I see a genteman with thick, heavy leather boots. A HUGE pack (Dana Designs, maybe?). Had the Nalgenes and every other item it seems from the outfitter.

Here I am: Nike sneakers a bit torn, my lightweight all mesh pack. Banged up ski poles. Dirty polyester dress shirt. Almost three weeks beard growth.

I said "Hello'.
    He said "Interesting gear you have". (While eyeing me up and down with a *** look on his face)
    Me: "Yep. Works for me"
    He said: "Well, always more to learn as you backpack more. When you backpack more, perhaps you will have different gear"
    Me: "You are right. Always more to learn"
    He: "Enjoy your hike. Be careful".
    Me: "You too! It is a great day!"

The guy probably thought I was a total moron (Well...he may be right, but not in the context of backpacking. ). Probably thought I'd died somewhere in the San Juan mountains! "
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

Being serious, what is a "Real" backpack ???
    Archwood Flex-Trek 37,000,000,000,000 Whipsnake Edition

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrianOH72 View Post
    I'll be section hiking the AT in 2015 and I'm trying to make a decision on the pack I'll be using. I had my mind made up on the Osprey Aether 60 which seems to be the choice of several AT hikers however, I see many people recommending the ULA packs. Both companies seem to be very customer service minded for concerns and repairs. I know the Ospery pack is over 1.5 lbs heavier but will it wear better or be more comfortable with the back panel? Any input is greatly appreciated!
    I'm not sure you can go wrong.

I have an Aether 70 that I thru-hiked the Colorado Trail with last summer.

I put a couple hundred miles on a ULA Circuit this summer.

For me the suspension on the Aether is superbly comfortable, but it comes at a significant weight penalty. A mystery rodent chewed up the mesh around one of the stays on my pack last summer and Osprey replaced it, no questions asked. I plan on continuing to use this pack for family trips where I am serving as Daddy the Load Carrier.

My ULA is very comfortable, particularly after I bent the aluminum stays to fit my back. I love the fact that it is made in the USA. Chris is super-helpful and provided great customer service, and I LOVE the fact that I shaved 2.5 pounds off my base load. It is a well-made, tough pack. Not as convenient to get into as the Aether, but for 2.5 pounds, I'll put up with it and the VERY minor reduction in comfort.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paddlefoot View Post
    ... For me the suspension on the Aether is superbly comfortable, but it comes at a significant weight penalty. A mystery rodent chewed up the mesh around one of the stays on my pack last summer and Osprey replaced it, no questions asked. I plan on continuing to use this pack for family trips where I am serving as Daddy the Load Carrier.

My ULA is very comfortable, particularly after I bent the aluminum stays to fit my back. I love the fact that it is made in the USA. Chris is super-helpful and provided great customer service, and I LOVE the fact that I shaved 2.5 pounds off my base load. It is a well-made, tough pack. Not as convenient to get into as the Aether, but for 2.5 pounds, I'll put up with it and the VERY minor reduction in comfort.
    This is very close to how I would reply; the Aether is very comfortable, perfect for 40+ pound loads, and I still use mine for mid-winter trips when I'm carrying that much or more, but for sub-30 pounds, the ULA is plenty supportive and saves that 2.5 pounds. I think I saw more ULA packs on the trail last year than Aethers, but I didn't keep actual count.

One big advantage of the ULA packs is that you can size the waist belt and torso length separately. Actually, maybe the Aether is that way as well, but check. This is hugely important if, say, you have a long torso and skinny hips or vice-versa. ULA also has a choice of S-straps (curvy) of J-straps (more traditional). Talk with Chris on which would fit you better. I chose the S-straps.

I love the Huge waist-belt zipper pockets on the ULA; the Aether has no pockets. I can put a whole day's worth of trail food in mine, along with other trail essentials, like AWOL (only the current portion), sunscreen, Aqua mira, Ibuprofen and whatever.

As already said, both companies are fantastic. My wife's Osprey pack (A Talon 44) was shredded by a bear one night, totally OUR fault as we left food in the pack, a definite no-no. Osprey gave her a brand new pack! They insisted. "Iron Clad No-fault Guarantee". Wow. But my experience with Chris at ULA has been outstanding; when I bought my ULA, I couldn't decide between the Circuit and OHM 2.0, so he shipped me both, and a pre-paid return mailing label for the one I didn't select. (I did have to pay for both, but he promptly refunded when I returned the Circuit; I kept the Ohm).

I do not recommend the Ohm 2.0 if your base weight is over 10-12 pounds, meaning 20-25 pounds total weight (with fuel, water and food). The Circuit is more supportive for loads up to 30-35 pounds or so, and that is the one you have your eye on anyway.

My Ohm 2.0 still looks brand new after maybe 1500 miles on it, but then again, so does my Aether, but I don't use it much now that I bought the ULA.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    OP-
    Why are you comparing a 60 liter pack to a 70+ liter pack? Shouldn't you be comparing similar sized packs? Just wondering.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    OOPS. I thought the Circuit was larger. Still, the Circuit is larger than the Aether 60. Have you thlought about the OHM 2.0? It is closer to the volume of the Aether 60.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    OOPS. I thought the Circuit was larger. Still, the Circuit is larger than the Aether 60. Have you thlought about the OHM 2.0? It is closer to the volume of the Aether 60.

Wayne
    I have (or had at one time) all three packs, the Circuit, the Aether and OHM 2.0. Overall similar in size, all three of them, in total carrying capacity.

The ULA web site lists the circuit as 68 liters, the OHM as 63. But in both of these cases, the very stretchy exterior pockets are included. Nothing wrong with this as they do hold a lot, but the Aether at 60L, also has a some exterior capacity, and certainly holds more in the main body than either the circuit or the OHM 2.0. I also find that the Circuit holds only a very little bit more in the main body than the OHM 2.0; this has to do with how the packs close at the top. The roll-top Circuit seems to require more fabric to close it than the draw-string OHM 2.0. I loaded both packs with the identical kit and compared, then returned the Circuit in favor of the OHM, since it didn't really hold any more. For winter trips, I use the Aether 60, which again, definitely holds a bit more in the main body, though not as much in the exterior pouches.

Really, all three packs are very similar in overall volume capacity; for weight capacity, the Aether has them beat, then the Circuit is damn good, close to the Aether, the OHM has the least support, though plenty adequate for the 25 pounds max I carry (3-season).

Thank you for clearing up "catalog volume" differences. I know it doesn't always (if ever) match the real world.

Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++